mtbr member
    Dec 2012

How do I make my Raleigh a singlespeed?

Hi, after riding hardpacked snowmobile trails all winter I realized I was carrying around a lot of weight that I didnt need. (5.5 lb fork and a 3x8 drivetrain) Of course on smooth snowmobile trails you really dont need a fork, or gears for that matter. So I would like to make my 2002 Raleigh M60 a single speed (if possible) for next winter.
    I would like to make it a belt drive but have no idea if that would be possible. I'm also fine with the traditional chain drive.
    And also if there are any good kits out there let me know.
    How do I make my Raleigh a singlespeed?-raleigh-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    First read Single Speed FAQ Then continue to search either here or Google. So much info on the net about this. I think even some YouTube vids.

Lastly, forget belt drive. Expensive and you need to cut the frame.

mtbr member
    it looks like your rear hub should have a cassette/ freehub interface, instead of a freewheel. this makes things easier.
    1. buy a single-speed cog and spacers and a derailleur hanger-mounted tensioner. 16-18t sized cogs should work just fine. also get a single-speed specific chainring with some short chainring bolts, or just wrap the chain around the middle ring and don't use the other rings. if you chain is worn out, get a new one. otherwise, you can use your old chain and just shorten it.

2. remove your derailleurs, shifters, cables, and cassette. replace the cassette with the SS cog and use the spacers to get it to line up with the middle chainring. wrap the chain around the front ring and the cog and break off the excess links with a chain tool. re-attach the chain with a proper master link or master pin. install the chain tensioner on the derailleur hanger.
    3. ride and smile.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by WillT19 View Post
    on smooth snowmobile trails you really dont need a fork, or gears for that matter.
    Contrary to popular belief, you actually do need a fork and gear(s). You can use a rigid fork if you want, but that's still a fork, and even if you have just one gear ratio, that's still a gear.

Traditional chain drive has worked for years and years and years. There's no need to change that. And converting to singlespeed is easy. Just take off the stuff that you don't need, and go ride!
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    [QUOTE=erik1245;10265597]Contrary to popular belief, you actually do need a fork and gear(s). You can use a rigid fork if you want, but that's still a fork, and even if you have just one gear ratio, that's still a gear. QUOTE]

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by WillT19 View Post
    It's a peeve of mine. Y'know. Precision of language and whatnot. I'll apologize if you want me to, but I won't be sorry.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Warrior's Society
    To make your bike a SS......just don't shift.

Sorry.....someone had to say it.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I'll apologize if you want me to, but I won't be sorry.
    This is awesome.

one chain loop
    Keep the suspension fork. Rigid fork + alu frame = teeth chattering
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Plan #123-D
    And a little "please" and "thank you" will get you pretty far in this forum. Try it.
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Belt drive is not really viable option to retrofit on an aluminum frame. You need to have an open joint somewhere in the rear triangle to allow the belt to loop through the frame. Not terribly hard to braze and retrofit a opening into a steel frame but not a good idea to try with aluminum.
    Post a good picture of the rear-dropout, that will help to better determine how to achieve chain tension adjustment.