mtbr member
    Aug 2008

How can I minimize the gouging of my free hub body?

I plan to use a multi speed rear hub with freehub body (Hope Pro 2). I know I'm going to have to use a spacer kit of some kind to keep the cog tight and spaced correctly. Are there any kits out there that will help me to preserve my freehub body while I use it as a single speed? More specifically to prevent gouging or shredding the free hub body. It is aluminum alloy.

I'm open to other solutions. I do plan to actually buy a single speed specific rear wheel one day. So no need to discuss that right now.

Thanks,
    Matt

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    As long as you have an aluminum freehub i don't see any solutions. I have a king hub and they suggested swapping out for a steel freehub and that will solve the problem, I know that does not answer your question but something to think about.

mtbr member
    The wider the cog the less the problem. Chris King, Surly, Niner, and others make SS cogs with wide bases for this purpose

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    As long as you have an aluminum freehub i don't see any solutions. I have a king hub and they suggested swapping out for a steel freehub and that will solve the problem, I know that does not answer your question but something to think about.
    Yah, that is what I was thinking. The steel free hub body is about a 100 gram weight penalty, unfortunately. I guess I'll just assume replacing the alloy in a year.

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    100 gram penalty!? You're riding a single speed, realize that the whole bike is a penalty.
    Riders, ride - no excuses
    http://www.twitter.com/michaelphorn

metrotuned WoS
    OhSchitt: LOL, that's a good one!

brain3278: what cog are you using on the Hope Pro II rear hub? How much does the steel free hub body cost and is it a DIY job? Is the SS hub different only in a shorter freehub body?
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    May 2007

endless cogs

Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    The wider the cog the less the problem. Chris King, Surly, Niner, and others make SS cogs with wide bases for this purpose
    Endless Kick As$ cogs are nice and wide at the contact point of the cassette body,,,,,,,,,,have not had issues on my wheels with the KA cogs

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=25986
    68g weight penalty according to the listed specs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    OhSchitt: LOL, that's a good one!

brain3278: what cog are you using on the Hope Pro II rear hub? How much does the steel free hub body cost and is it a DIY job? Is the SS hub different only in a shorter freehub body?
    I haven't bought the cog yet. I plan to use an 18 or 17T cog.

The steel freehub body is about $80 bucks shipped to me.

I'm not sure what you mean by DIY? I would like to buy a kit with spacers and cog and put it together.

I'm not sure if the single speed trials hub is 135mm width. That is a good question. It appears it comes with a steel freehub body and the picture looks like it comes with spacers. Does anyone know anything about these?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jonowee
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=25986
    68g weight penalty according to the listed specs.
    Oops! My bad. 68gram difference. That doesn't sound as bad as 100 grams.

meatier showers
    Dude, buy a wide base cog like a King or a Surly and be done with it. That's what they're made for -- aluminum freehub bodies. The King SS hub even comes with an aluminum freehub body... and no option to switch to a more durable metal because it's not offered by King or anyone else. King only offers steel freehub bodies on its geared hubs.

Wide base singlespeed cog. Relatively cheap plus you're down the road.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Why did it happen to me
    Feb 2004

Hope singlespped trials hub.

I have the Pro 2 singlespeed hub built up onto a Mavic rim and have no prblems with it in the 15 months that I have had it. it also comes with steel bolts for fixing it into the frame. i weigh around 210 with kit etc and have zero problems with it. I even went out and bought Hope Pro 2 wheelsets for my other bikes after riding the singlespeed ones. The have a rep for lasting for ever too.
    If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

local trails rider
    Hope Pro2 SS/Trials has a narrow freehub: wide enough for 5 or 6 cogs. I put a wide base On-One Groove Armada cog on mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brain3278
    I'm not sure if the single speed trials hub is 135mm width.
    The Hope Pro II SS/trials hub is 135mm spaced. It's available in either bolt-on or QR. It comes with spacers but not a lockring. It's loud. It's pretty nice.

As for the other poster who asked if the SS/trails hub is the same as the geared hub save for the shorty free-hub body...it's not. The SS hub has even flange spacing to build up dish-less.

mtbr member
    WTB makes a SS cog with a huge base - way bigger than King or Surly. Check it out.
    Also, I use spacers from in between old Shimano casettes, the have splines too. Don't know if this really helps or not, but you can probably get a bunch for free from the LBS junk/recycle pile.
    Is this where I write something witty?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Why buy a new freehub body now? Just buy a new one if you've gouged the one you already have after using it. Get one of the wide bodied cogs and you may not even have an issue with gouging.