4 Niners
    Dec 2008

Hot tip for full rigid seat posts

I just bought a couple of Cannondale Flash 29er seat posts on ebay that were new bike take offs. They are amazing. They flattened the carbon shaft from front to back and the seatpost is very stiff from side to side and has amazing compliance when hitting big hits.

Hot tip for full rigid seat posts-flash-seat-post-003.jpg

Hot tip for full rigid seat posts-flash-seat-post-004.jpg

I have ridden them about 3 times (total of 75 miles or so) and the difference is remarkable. I seldom buy a product that is far better than my expectations but this is one of them. I am not a Cannondale pimp or anything, but any rigid SSer should check these out. (Full disclosure 2 or my 5 road bikes are Cannondales, but none of my MTB's and my tandem are not Cannondales and the last 4 bikes I bought were not Cannondales)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You take big hits seated?
    You must have balls of steel.

nothing to see here
    vertebrae of steel I think.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    If you guys ride much in nasty stuff, you have taken big hits seated if you are truthful. I try to miss most of the big stuff, but when you are flying and it is root, root, rock root; sometimes you miss one that is under a leaf.

Anyway, these posts are the Sh**t. I called my local (35 miles away) Cannondale dealer to see what the price was and it was $170. ( I paid less on ebay) but the seatposts that they replaced (Syntace P6 carbon) were close to that and not nearly as accommodating. I would pay to buy a new one if one of mine broke.

In fact you guys are making my point. I haven't been full rigid single speeding long, but one of the few bad parts was when you did make a tactical error and end up getting slapped hard by the saddle. Now it is more like a push with these posts. I am a long time 5,000 mile a year roadie that bought a Jet 2 years ago in November as my first MTB and now my Jet is for sale because I only ever ride my SS. Where I ride most, only about 4 other guys ride SS and they are all under 35 and guys in their 40's are quitting riding geared bikes there because they say it is "not fair" because it is too steep, etc. I am 56 and this post was meant to enlighten the SS riders about the benefits of this seatpost.

meatier showers
    If you're 56 you're okay by me.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the tip! I'm glad to hear that it actually works. I've seen quite a few of them around and they always looked flimsy to me. It certainly is way less cumbersome than a Thudbuster or similar product (though the amount of suspension will obviously be less, as well). Thanks again!

mtbr member
    I like it! It must limit the ability to drop the post if desired though.

What size are they?

Low Rep Count
    I would be interested in something carbon and lighter than what I have at the moment. But I currently weigh 186 lbs and am riding a Ritchey WCS alu post. The post is similar to a Thompson in that the interal of the post itself is thicker on the front/back but it has a more traditional laid back look to it unlike the Thompson.

I have already bent two other posts simply due to the height that I have them at (about 8.5" of post showing). I do my best to right light if you will and not stay seated over all the bumps but it does happen. I have gotten saddle slap and what not. My fear with a carbon post at this point is that I run the risk of breaking it. Mainly because my frame requires a 27.2 post. Perhaps if my frame allowed for a larger diameter I would be rocking something carbon but so be it for now.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    ... My fear with a carbon post at this point is that I run the risk of breaking it. ...
    Those carbon splinters... ya wanna be careful which body parts you point those at...

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy
    If you guys ride much in nasty stuff, you have taken big hits seated if you are truthful. I try to miss most of the big stuff, but when you are flying and it is root, root, rock root; sometimes you miss one that is under a leaf.

Anyway, these posts are the Sh**t. I called my local (35 miles away) Cannondale dealer to see what the price was and it was $170. ( I paid less on ebay) but the seatposts that they replaced (Syntace P6 carbon) were close to that and not nearly as accommodating. I would pay to buy a new one if one of mine broke.

In fact you guys are making my point. I haven't been full rigid single speeding long, but one of the few bad parts was when you did make a tactical error and end up getting slapped hard by the saddle. Now it is more like a push with these posts. I am a long time 5,000 mile a year roadie that bought a Jet 2 years ago in November as my first MTB and now my Jet is for sale because I only ever ride my SS. Where I ride most, only about 4 other guys ride SS and they are all under 35 and guys in their 40's are quitting riding geared bikes there because they say it is "not fair" because it is too steep, etc. I am 56 and this post was meant to enlighten the SS riders about the benefits of this seatpost.
    All's cool. Not dissin' the post. Indeed, I could do with one myself. I ride rocky trails a lot, and hate the alu post I've got. Something like this would work well for me.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Life is Go0d!
    Thanks for the heads up. Seems like a good thing to have at the end of a longer ride when you don't see every thing coming. Are they 31.8mm only or are they offered in 27.2? (most steel frames use this)
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    They are all 27.2 but you should be able to shim them to any size since all other MTB posts are that size or larger. I have 300 mm sticking out on mine and it really only flexes in the flattened area. I am out of town the rest of the week, but when I get home, I will measure the bottom of the "fat" area. I am thinking it is about 5" below the rails so you could lower the post to that level anyway.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I thought this post was going to be a better solution than dropping half of what I paid for my bike on a seatpost.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I just noticed that someone asked the weight. My first one weighed 234 grams, I did not weigh the 2nd one. They are over 400 mm long (I am out of town but remembering ~425?). The P6 Carbon that it replaced weighed 233 grams and was 400 mm long so if you cut these they would be lighter than a P6 carbon which was my favorite post before these. Also, on the cost front, I think I paid around $135 for the P6's landed and I landed the first one of these for $111 the 2nd one was a few $ more. These seem strong as H**l so far and one of mine has hit a rock without getting a ding. My P6's have several places where the clear coat is chipped off and these don't show a scratch so far.