mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Horizontal dropout & rim brake adjustment - problem?

Do rim brakes require re-adjusting every time you remove the wheel with horizontal dropouts? Should I be looking for rim brakes that are easy to 'tweek'??

Contrarian
    Only if you're taking up a load of slack in the chain and even then not always. I don't think I've ever had to adjust mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyArmstrong
    Only if you're taking up a load of slack in the chain and even then not always. I don't think I've ever had to adjust mine.
    What brakes do you run out of interest Andy?

Contrarian
    Mainly Avids of one type or another - I think I've got just about every V brake they make on different bikes. I've got a Single Digit Ultimate on my main V braked / horizontal dropout singlespeed.

voodoo child

depends more on the dropouts than the brakes

The closer your dropouts are to perpindicular to the seat stays, the less fartin' around you'll have to do with the brakes. Old school dropouts and angled track ends (ala older Rick Hunter frames) are good. Traditional track-ends that are close to parallel with the ground tend to be a little problematic, but not too bad.

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly
    The closer your dropouts are to perpindicular to the seat stays, the less fartin' around you'll have to do with the brakes. Old school dropouts and angled track ends (ala older Rick Hunter frames) are good. Traditional track-ends that are close to parallel with the ground tend to be a little problematic, but not too bad.
    Yep. My 'crosser has the angled horizontals, and I can move the axle back and forth across the entire range of the dropouts (1/2") and not have to readjust the brakes.