mtbr member

Horizontal drop outs - disk brake adjustment?

Was thinking about building a true SS bike instead of riding my old convert. If I am going to build one, I definitly want disk brakes. Question is how hard are they to adjust with horizontal drop outs? I have never had to deal with this and was curious. I have disk brakes on my double squish geared bike.

Thanks!

highly visible

Not difficult, can be tedious if you have to do it repeatedly

Quote Originally Posted by mtbcyclist
    Was thinking about building a true SS bike instead of riding my old convert. If I am going to build one, I definitly want disk brakes. Question is how hard are they to adjust with horizontal drop outs? I have never had to deal with this and was curious. I have disk brakes on my double squish geared bike.

Thanks!
    Not very hard, as long as your disc tabs are slotted to provide for adjustment. However, you may find yourself having to readjust the brakes, or realign the wheel very carefully, each time you change gears or remove the wheel for tire changes, etc. On many frames like this, such as those from Surly and Bianchi, you actually need to loosen the caliper mounting bolts to get the wheel out. Marking the correct bolt positions with a magic marker will help you reposition the caliper quickly when you're done.

It's not a big job, but it gets tedious if you find yourself having to do it repeatedly: right now my Karate Monkey is doing dual duty as a commuter and as a mountain bike with two sets of wheels, and I am starting to get tired of tweaking the brakes every time I swap wheels. However, for the first year I owned the bike it was a dedicated MTB and I rarely changed gears or tires, so it wasn't a major hassle. Your mileage may vary

mtbr member

its not...

bad to adjust the caliper with horizontal drops, just slower on a tire change than the EBB setup. I'm on my second Singlespeed with horizontal drops and discs, first bike was the Surly 1x1 and now riding a Spot, both have been easy to deal with. Just remember to carry a 5mm key with you to move the caliper out of the way when changing a flat. If you run your wheel far back in the horizontal drops you can usually forgo loosing the caliper. I run the Avid cable discs and they seem like a great brake for this application.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by mtbcyclist

Thanks!