mtbr member
    Sep 2007

hope vs. American classics

I am looking at replacing my Surly semi disc wheel set with something lighter and more blingish. I am open for suggestions but currently am thinking
    Either American Classic Single speed hub or a Hope pro II laced to blunts.. i know the Hope is a solid choice soild set up i am more concerned with the american classic hubs both shops i frequent have suggested them but i cannot find any info on them.
    1 has anyone ran an american classic single speed hub?
    hows the engagement?
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have always heard good thing about the hope pro 2's. I cannot say that about American Classics

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by nickcarll
    I am looking at replacing my Surly semi disc wheel set with something lighter and more blingish. I am open for suggestions but currently am thinking
    Either American Classic Single speed hub or a Hope pro II laced to blunts.. i know the Hope is a solid choice soild set up i am more concerned with the american classic hubs both shops i frequent have suggested them but i cannot find any info on them.
    1 has anyone ran an american classic single speed hub?
    hows the engagement?
    ChainReactionCycles carry the Hopes at very competitive prices.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

American Classic

I recently put a set of American Classics w/ SS hub on my new Ventana El Com. They are 29" and tubeless. I have had them for about 2 weeks and have only put a little over 100 miles on them so keep that in mind when reading my comments. My impressions so far: Super lite - compared to what I am used to - I ended up dropping from a 20 cog in the back to a 19 and I think it was mainly the wheels. So far I find them pretty durable - have ridden them on some pretty rocky stuff (and sometimes not ridden them well over the rocky stuff) and they have showed no signs of my abuse. The rims do have a bit of bling if you are looking for that - more so if you get the white ones.
    Engagement: If you want very precise/quick engagement these might not be the hubs for you. Pardon my lack of technical terminology - I find the slack or time/distance to engagment "noticable" . . sometimes. I, personally, don't find it to be a problem or annoying, but I was planning on asking my LBS guy about it (adjust springs ). If that's just how they are then I am fine with it since I only notice it, sometimes - have never had it fault me in getting over a technical obstacle. Aside from that I am super-stoked at how lite and fast these wheels are.
    My LBS guy (who is awesome) recommended these wheels and another set with Hope pro II hubs when I was choosing wheels. I got most of my research info for the wheels from MTBR and the product webpages. I am picky about noise - that's why I didn't choose the Hope hubs. If you are picky about the engagment the AC's may not be right for you.

mtbr member
    3 years on my American Classic SS hub. Only had to adjust once (very little play). So far so good, though I'm sure it's due for some bearing service in the near future. Plenty of racing, mud, sand, etc. It rolls faster than any other hub I've owned. I'd personally go with the AC, as it's been really reliable, light, and fast for me. I'm also not a fan of drag or loud freehub mechanisms. But people seem to love their Hope's too, nothing wrong with that.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

openwound
    I've had both. The AC's I have are in a set of their wheels (the wheels are built for someone lighter than me= they're flexy.) The hubs themselves are nice enough. AC recommends leaving a very slight amount of play in the hub which can be tricky to achieve. I replaced the bearings with Enduro ceramics and am pleased with how they roll. I don't have any issues with their engagement, it's fine for the type of cross-country ss riding that I do. If you ride super tech stuff, you might not be overly impressed. Not disappointed, just not raving about them. They are a little lighter and have larger flanges than the Hope hubs. So with the right spokes you could get a nice stiff wheel built on them.

As you know, the one thing that everyone notices about the Hope hub is the noise. They are friggin' loud. But they come in purdy colors and you can get 'em cheap (wiggle or chain reaction). Their engagement is a bit more solid than the AC's, but again that's not something that I notice very often.

I could honestly go either way, though if they were the same price, I would probably opt for the American Classic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a hope singlespeed rear hub and hope front front hub. They are great. Laced to a set of mavic 719's. They have no play at all and you never have to worry about engagment issues. They always seem to grab anywhere in the pedal stroke. I have also never had any hubs that roll as well as they do in a coast. Granted they are 29ers but they roll so smooth. I have never ridden AC's but I heard from others that have ridden them that they don't feel as heavy duty as Hope's do. And Hope's have many different colors to chose from.

Dirty South Underdog
    I've had my Hopes in some really, really bad conditions at endurance races the past two seasons, and they've never let me down. They've hardly required any maintenance other than cleaning the freehub out & re-lubing the pawls after a couple of the more extreme mud/sand/water situations.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Tree Thumper
    I have some AC's. never let me down. never ridden a hope though
    ~JPB

"Loud Hubs Save Lives"

The need for singlespeed
    Are WTB LaserDisk hubs rebadged ACs?

banned
    Apr 2010
    Not rebadged; same design, took manufacturing over through their own subcontractor. Having had the WTB, I would pick Hope every single time. The WTB's sealing leaves much to be desired, and still years later, they're not that great.

mtbr member
    i really didnt like my wtb LDL. the bearings werent smooth, the engagement is terrible (its like 24 pt +10 extra degrees due to the cam design). weight doesnt matter much when the hub rolls poorly.

id consider XTR too. cheaper than both, similar weight, more engagement.

banned
    Apr 2010
    How is the sealing on XTR now?

mtbr member
    I think it comes down to your priorities. Both hubs have their pluses and minuses. I've been riding a set of Hopes for about 3 years now and they have been perfect. I pulled the rear freehub off about a year ago to see how it looked, and it could have passed for new. Nice and clean and well greased. I just put it back together and haven't thought about it since.

My priorities were strength, durability, engagement, and price. I ride some very technical stuff and really appreciate the quick engagement of the Hope SS hub. They do weigh more than the AC I think, so if that is a priority, maybe the AC would fit better.

I weigh about 190 and ride full rigid over very techy stuff, so appreciate the strength and durability. I had them laced to Flow rims by MC, and have not had to touch a spoke in 3 years!

If you are lighter and ride smother trails, and AC's may be the ticket.

Good luck!
    Mark

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thanks for all the input! i think i will go with hopes they seem to suit my trail and riding style better. as for hoops blunts are solid yes? i was tossing the idea of a p=35 front but feel it maybe over kill? too heavy
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

mtbr member
    I would go with hopes laced to Halo Freedom Disc rims. The halo rims are better then ther blunts.

mtbr member
    If you want rims more on the rugged side, go with Stan's Flow. Tubeless is the way.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild
    As you know, the one thing that everyone notices about the Hope hub is the noise. They are friggin' loud.
    Loud is right. I'm OK with that. Also, I don't often need a bell to warn others of my presence

The freehub is easy to pull off for cleaning and re-greasing. Some have had problems with breaking pawls or springs, so I bought a spare set. Haven't needed it yet. The bolts that come with the SS version are not the best. Be careful with your 6mm hex key when tightening them.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've had both. ACs roll better but Hopes have better engagement.

openwound
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    The bolts that come with the SS version are not the best. Be careful with your 6mm hex key when tightening them.
    Definitely agree with you on this. I had wondered whether I had gotten just a crap set of bolts. The bolt heads (where you insert an allen wrench) seem to be poorly sized and/or machined.