mtbr member
    Jan 2007

hope pro 2 ss/trials hub conversion help????

quick question about the ability to convert a hope pro 2 SS/trials hub to
    and 12x142mm rear spacing?

Ive been through this site, through the entire internet, phone calls to hope, phone calls to online bike parts suppliers.....

I understand more then I ever wanted to about
    hope pro 2 regular vs hope pro 2 evo hubs

is it even possible to convert the SS/Trials version to the 12x142mm spacing???

I have found every other conversion kit available it seems....

please understand I am coming from a 1/8th straight tube fork that was snapped, so i purchased a new frame/fork and i am not prepared to buy a new wheel set as well....

thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It is possible. It's a separate axle that you need to install. I made the conversion 2 years ago and had a hell of a time finding the kit for the SS/Trials wheel. It is an axle specific to the SS hub.

I ended up going to my LBS and calling Hope with them. Did a direct order straight from Hope. The other thing you could try is calling Chain Reaction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    thank you so much for verifying I'm not crazy.... been trying to track it down for 2 weeks now...

hopeusa phone line is permanently off the hook or busy or something.... going to try the UK number for hope tomorrow.. thanks again

mtbr member
    Think it's HUB229 you need, bought my SS/Trials as 12x142 from CRC originally but they may have stopped making them as they are a bit weak at the needle bearing sealed bearing interface. Got a steel axle replacement see if you can ask for that as they gave me a choice.
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Good luck with this. I recently broke the axle on my Pro 2 Evo 142 Singlespeed hub. I've received conflicting info from Hope UK, Hope USA, and local shops.

From what I gather, HUB229 is for the standard geared hub.
    HUB1007-3 is for SS/Trials 12mm axle hub.

I *believe* the latter is what you'd need, but since no one could confirm, I haven't placed the order yet. You'd think it was just a simple thing to order.

Hope USA guy said that these 142 axles were a retrofit and therefore, not as durable as today's offerings. Which is why at 150lbs, I experienced my first axle breakage. Definitely not happy with this hub right now, as there are no guarantees that it won't just snap again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:01 View Post
    Good luck with this. I recently broke the axle on my Pro 2 Evo 142 Singlespeed hub. I've received conflicting info from Hope UK, Hope USA, and local shops.

From what I gather, HUB229 is for the standard geared hub.
    HUB1007-3 is for SS/Trials 12mm axle hub.

I *believe* the latter is what you'd need, but since no one could confirm, I haven't placed the order yet. You'd think it was just a simple thing to order.

Hope USA guy said that these 142 axles were a retrofit and therefore, not as durable as today's offerings. Which is why at 150lbs, I experienced my first axle breakage. Definitely not happy with this hub right now, as there are no guarantees that it won't just snap again.
    The other factor adding to the confusion is Pro 2 versus Pro 2 EVO, different P/N I'm pretty sure. Luckily I was able to get one last few factory built from CRC. I sent a pic of my hub breakage to the UK CS email received near immediate reply, asked if I wanted a steel replacement which I said yes to. IIRC was shipped from Texas, US office anyway. I'm over 200# and that original axle only lasted about 6 months, remember seeing a thread on MTBR with similar axle issues.

Sent them a few like this, nice clean break.
    hope pro 2 ss/trials hub conversion help????-hope_axle.jpg
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    May 2010
    socal - that's exactly what mine looks like. Snapped cleanly off right where yours did. So you ordered HUB229? I just spoke to a local shop that called up Hope. They told me HUB252 is what I need, but upon some research, it's for a 12x135 axle.

Funny thing is, it's not even listed in their axle chart anymore:

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/u...TS-CHART-3.pdf

mtbr member
    socal - that's exactly what mine looks like. Snapped cleanly off right where yours did. So you ordered HUB229? I just spoke to a local shop that called up Hope. They told me HUB252 is what I need, but upon some research, it's for a 12x135 axle.

Funny thing is, it's not even listed in their axle chart anymore:

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/u...TS-CHART-3.pdf
    I didn't actually have to order a hub just sent them the pic and the hub model, axle came in the mail within a week. Just searched CRC where I got my hub as I know there were lots of questions there, found this;

If your hub is the 135x10mm "bolt thru" (thru axles) version you can convert it using the "X12" 142x12mm conversion kit. You simply pop the end caps off by hand and snap the X12 kit in place. If your hub is the 10mm "bolt in" which uses 10mm bolts to hold it place you will need the X12 end caps as well as a sub axle. We do not stock the sub axle but I can tell you that the part number is HUB229.
    by crcmark, Chain Reaction Cycles Staff
    Hope Pro 2 - 4 Evo Rear Hub Conversion Kit | Chain Reaction Cycles
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm wondering if HUB252 is the replacement/upgraded part for HUB229. I'm assuming the axle itself will work with 135 or 142 rear end, with the only difference being the end caps. If that is the correct assumption, then ordering a HUB252 may be the way to go.

By the way, I emailed them the picture of the hub as well. I wasn't so fortunate to get a free axle.

mtbr member
    I'm wondering if HUB252 is the replacement/upgraded part for HUB229. I'm assuming the axle itself will work with 135 or 142 rear end, with the only difference being the end caps. If that is the correct assumption, then ordering a HUB252 may be the way to go.

By the way, I emailed them the picture of the hub as well. I wasn't so fortunate to get a free axle.
    Damn, that sucks. Seems like 252 might just be the caps. This shit is ridiculous! My last wheel build I went with Hadley.

EDIT: Removed link I think that was for regular hub not SS.

EDIT2: Maybe, show HUB255 WTF?!? The seller is Texas and it's mostly all Hope stuff, might be direct. It looks right though.

https://www.ebay.com/p/hope-pro-2-ev...p2047675.l2644
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    socal_jack -

thats exactly what I've found trying to track this stuff down.....

the part number 'HUB255' should work in both the Hope Pro 2 SS and the Hope Pro 2 SS EVO

its the axel and caps for 12x142mm

142 x 12 Singlespeed Hub. « Singletrack Forum

this guy did it.... fingers crossed - just ordered it from the eBay texas shop... seems to be the only place in the world that has them in stock...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Damn, that sucks. Seems like 252 might just be the caps. This shit is ridiculous! My last wheel build I went with Hadley.

EDIT: Removed link I think that was for regular hub not SS.

EDIT2: Maybe, show HUB255 WTF?!? The seller is Texas and it's mostly all Hope stuff, might be direct. It looks right though.

https://www.ebay.com/p/hope-pro-2-ev...p2047675.l2644
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolicious View Post
    socal_jack -

the part number 'HUB255' should work in both the Hope Pro 2 SS and the Hope Pro 2 SS EVO

this guy did it.... fingers crossed - just ordered it from the eBay texas shop... seems to be the only place in the world that has them in stock...
    I hope that works out for you. The chart I linked lists HUB255 for syntac X12. But I can't trust what Hope puts out there anymore.

Please post up and update once you get it. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I hope that works out for you. The chart I linked lists HUB255 for syntac X12. But I can't trust what Hope puts out there anymore.

Please post up and update once you get it. Thank you.
    I found this HUB255 kit here:
    https://www.bike24.com/p2109558.html

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim0791 View Post
    I found this HUB255 kit here:
    https://www.bike24.com/p2109558.html
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like that's just the end caps? I don't see that the axle is also included....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolicious View Post
    socal_jack -

The Pro 2 takes 15mm I.D. bearing and the Pro 2/4 EVOs take a 17mm I.D. bearing from what I remember so not the same axle. Worth a gamble at this point as the options are pretty nil.

Get a new bearing kit from Enduro https://www.endurobearings.com/technology/ I replaced mine when my axle broke as the stoke ones were already feeling rough.

EDIT: I remember getting the needle bearing cage off ebay hk2812 or something like that
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like that's just the end caps? I don't see that the axle is also included....
    If you check drop down menu, you will see extra 13.00 for sub axle in X12 option

mtbr member
    To the OP: What are you trying to convert from? Unless you're converting from bolt-on, all you need is new end caps, which are readily available on the interwebs. Converting from bolt-on is a little different story.

Hope Pro 2 - 4 Evo Rear Hub Conversion Kit | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey there went through this late last year and I couldn't source anywhere here in Australia ended up going through these guys in Texas came with end caps as well as the axle, while I had it apart I chucked in some new bearings as well.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172459491188

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I can confirm that the HUB255 kit does work on Pro 2 non-EVO SS hubs. Just did it based on the post in the Singletrack forum. Worked for me!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Not sure this helps but I converted a Pro4 SS to 12x142. Had to order directly from Hope. Here are the part numbers on my invoice.

HUB242 end caps
    HUB1007-3 axle

BTW, this was the cheapest axle swap I've ever done by a long shot....looking at you CK and WI!
    At what point did you decide you needed more than 1 gear?

mtbr member
    Was that the steel bersion? Hope you put some enduro max bearings in at the same time, stock Hopes are so so.

Btw the ebay link to the Texas shop has that axle
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The conversion is pretty straightforward, as you have to knock out the bearings to change the axle over. Do yourself a favour get some bearings and change them whilst it's apart, I actually found one of my bearings to be shagged and had to wait another day or so while I sourced a pair. My only regret was not doing the bearing inside the freewheel, I will pull my finger out and change it eventually.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Dumb question here-
    I have just purchased a 2nd hand pro2 evo ss/ trials hub and I'm keen to pull it down to replace the bearings.
    I can't find any info on how to do this. I've watched the video about pulling down a standard hub, it shows the end caps being removed then the axle being tapped through.

Are the threaded inserts removeable? I have removed the circlip etc.
    I emailed Hope and they said disassembly is the same as a normal hub. I really don't want to damage it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauffy View Post
    Dumb question here-
    I have just purchased a 2nd hand pro2 evo ss/ trials hub and I'm keen to pull it down to replace the bearings.
    I can't find any info on how to do this. I've watched the video about pulling down a standard hub, it shows the end caps being removed then the axle being tapped through.

Are the threaded inserts removeable? I have removed the circlip etc.
    I emailed Hope and they said disassembly is the same as a normal hub. I really don't want to damage it.
    Yes they are removable, you will find they're really hard to get out, otherwise it's the same as the video. I've done it a couple of times and they are always tight and it's hard to get a grip on them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for reply! I managed to pull it down for a freshen up. I ended up clamping the end caps in my vice with ally v blocks and a good hard pull got them out.