Thread: Hone Cranks?

mtbr member

Hone Cranks?

I am a big boy and I ride really hard. I killed the stock bottom bracket and crankarms on my Monocog 29er. I want strong, reliable replacement parts, but would prefer to avoid overkill. Found this ad for Shimano Hone cranks in the classifieds:
    http://www.fullcycles.com/product_in...oducts_id/1348
    Any reason why these wouldn't be what I'm looking for?

local trails rider
    Three ring Hone is practically the same as last years' LX.

I've been running that generation of LX for a couple of years, with bashring for protection and reinforcement: no issues.

metrotuned WoS
    Yeah those are great. Step up about $50 and you can get top of the line Saints.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    So I should be able to take the big ring off and put a bash guard on, take the small ring off, and just run the 32t ring?

local trails rider
    Exactly.

The regular 32T chainring may not be ideal for SS but it should work. I have a steel Deore 32T ring on LX cranks, and am on my third chain with that setup and plan to put on a new chainring (+ cog + chain) "in the near future".

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i second the vote for saints. I put them on my SS and have had zero problems im not huge (200 lb), but i blew up my race face cranks. LOVE the saints, and im not generally a big shimano fan...
    Let The Good Times Roll

local trails rider
    Saint cranks are great, unless you feel they are overkill or cost too much. I guess they weigh a bit more than "normal" cranks, but they are tough.