Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    My guess is that law enforcement isnt going to care much. Dan will just tell them he is behind on filling orders.
    I called it! He'll just come up with more lame excuses. It's to bad, because he has a good thing going. You would think that we would hire some help and get the sh!t done and out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    still it wont be a problem as it will never come!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Order #1334984302
    Aluminum 102bcd 4 bolt Chainrings
    42.00 Paypal
    April 21st 2012

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looks like my ring guard is in there. Who knows!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The list is being compiled and sent tonight. Thanks everyone for your contributions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks khskenny for the initiative!

mtbr member
    He'll just say that he is behind in fullfilling his orders. That's why he posted on Facebook. They won't be able to do anything about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by khskenny View Post
    The list is being compiled and sent tonight. Thanks everyone for your contributions.
    Could you give us an estimated total of the money involved?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    He'll just say that he is behind in fullfilling his orders. That's why he posted on Facebook. They won't be able to do anything about it.

mtbr member
    Guys, hire a lawyer and have him file a class action in the local jurisdiction where HBC operates. He will find it much more difficult to make excuses in court. And if he doesn't respond to that, you can have your lawyer put a lien on his property. You could also possibly get the judge to issue an injunction against him doing any further business on his website until he resolves this.

Apologies if someone mentioned this before. I didn't read all 5 pages of the thread.
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 01-20-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    That's going to cost everyone more then they lost.

mtbr member
    That's going to cost everyone more then they lost.
    Maybe.

I mean, I agree that inviting everyone to post the details of how much money that HBC cheated them out of on the MTBR forums is by far the easiest and cheapest course of action. Unfortunately it also happens to be one of the least effective at actually getting anything done about it, ranking right up there with doing "nothing at all".
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    Update - posted recently on Facebook by Homebrewed Components:

Response from HBC owner in the comment feed:
    No need to hide his name, a quick Google search brings it up.

mtbr member
    I guess I missed this, hope my order is in that lot......

Order#1343339338
    88bcd Aluminum Chainrings
    • # of teeth: 31t
    • Color: silver
    $58.95
    26 July 2012

mtbr member
    What's the total khskenny?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

A couple available now

Hey guys. I know that there is lots of frustration around HBC...trust me I feel you. But just in case it can help anybody out, I have a couple up in Ebay right now.
    Since I can't post a link.....
    Check the classifieds under Chains/Cogs/Guides for my Spam Pass.

HTFU!
    Don't know what everyone's problem is. I ordered a ring and cog two weeks ago and it already arrived. He even sent me an email asking if I was happy with them.

Sorry, couldn't wait until April 1st to do that! Glad I got my stuff years ago when he just started out. My new cogs are now CK or Endless...as far as rings, it will be...well, I still have 3 HBC's so I have some time to figure it out.
    Last edited by S.O.B.; 01-27-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    I no longer deserve a signature.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    Don't know what everyone's problem is. I ordered a ring and cog two weeks ago and it already arrived. He even sent me an email asking is I was happy with them.

Sorry, couldn't wait until April 1st to do that! Glad I got my stuff years ago when he just started out. My new cogs are now CK or Endless...as far as rings, it will be...well, I still have 3 HBC's so I have some time to figure it out.
    That was like tapping a hornets nest with a stick to see if there are any angry ones inside yup.
    You should have waited till April fools day.. we may still be waiting for our cogs then.

PSYCHOLUST
    Order #1335006553
    Total amount $53.95 USD
    Transaction date April 21, 2012

Subject Homebrewed Components order # 1335006553

mtbr member
    Its been over 3 weeks since this started. OPer, has any of the information sent to you been sent to law enforcement?

mtbr member
    Isn't there a 4-45 week lead time with this, too? Or is that just with the chainrings?

I <3 dirt

Homebrewed components undelivered orders

Badum pish!

mtbr member
    7/17/2012
    $42.00

Really starting to get pissed about this guy.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Anything happen here?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm personally satisfied with his update on Facebook. Now I at least know he's alive and attempting to fulfill his orders. At this point legal action will just make it less likely that I'll get my parts because he'll be dealing with lawyers instead of making my chainrings. Prior to seeing his FB page I was unaware that he had explained his situation (some of his milling tools broke which set him back, which seems to have led to getting overwhelmed by work & stress which led to panic attacks). He should have been better about communicating this on his website & through email but, whatever, it is what it is.

He's no longer taking orders on his site, so that's resolved. As he works through his orders I'm sure that he will get more freed up to address any that have fallen through the cracks.

So I think we should cut the guy some slack. He's clearly had some setbacks that he's working through them. He at least warned us about lead times, so even though the delay is legitimately unreasonable from a customer perspective, he did not breach any contracts.

So for my part I would like to have my order removed from the list, and I don't want to be involved with any legal action.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kramerica5000 View Post
    So I think we should cut the guy some slack. He's clearly had some setbacks that he's working through them. He at least warned us about lead times, so even though the delay is legitimately unreasonable from a customer perspective, he did not breach any contracts.
    Cut Dan some slack? When i ordered the lead time was listed as 4 weeks. I just hit my 1yr mark. This guy is a crook and i seriously doubt any statements or excuses he has to why thousands of dollars worth of orders have never been sent out. I also doubt i will ever get my order. I currently think jail and/or stiff financial fines are the only things Dan deserves. The only excuse acceptable with this story is that he's a sad excuse for an American and human being.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's funny, cut the guy some slack. Why not just give him a pat on the back while you're at it. It sounds like kramerica5000 might have something to hide.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah, that's funny, cut the guy some slack. Why not just give him a pat on the back while you're at it. It sounds like kramerica5000 might have something to hide.
    LOL what would that be?

Press charges if you like, but I seriously doubt you're going to get off your butt to do anything about it. But feel free to continue to be pissed about it, and if being pissed at me for being satisfied with the fact that the guy is attempting to fix the situation makes you feel better, well go ahead and do that too.

I guess that's what I get for showing up with a pale of water instead of a torch and pitchfork.

And for the record, I'm not giving the guy a pass, but since he's stopped taking orders and is legitimately seems to be trying to fulfill the ones he has, I think the best possible outcome here is that we all get what we ordered albeit after a ridiculous wait. Legal action will probably result in a lot of wasted time for everyone involved, and a longer wait for everyone else to get their parts. Yeah, he could be lying about the fact that he has nearly everyone's order complete and is just waiting for parts to return from the anodizer, but I've waited this long, so I'm willing to give him a couple more weeks to see if he comes through.

Gumnut Peddler
    LOL what would that be?

Press charges if you like, but I seriously doubt you're going to get off your butt to do anything about it. But feel free to continue to be pissed about it, and if being pissed at me for being satisfied with the fact that the guy is attempting to fix the situation makes you feel better, well go ahead and do that too.

I guess that's what I get for showing up with a pale of water instead of a torch and pitchfork.

And for the record, I'm not giving the guy a pass, but since he's stopped taking orders and is legitimately seems to be trying to fulfill the ones he has, I think the best possible outcome here is that we all get what we ordered albeit after a ridiculous wait. Legal action will probably result in a lot of wasted time for everyone involved, and a longer wait for everyone else to get their parts. Yeah, he could be lying about the fact that he has nearly everyone's order complete and is just waiting for parts to return from the anodizer, but I've waited this long, so I'm willing to give him a couple more weeks to see if he comes through.
    I am pretty sure that 99.9% of the people who have waited more than a year for components wont have a use for them if they ever do turn up.

I know I wouldnt wait around for a year for something and then be happy when it finally turns up in the mail.

If the business was too busy to fill orders, then why keep taking more and more peoples money?

Sounds like a scam/conman to me.
    Burning fat, not oil.

HTFU!
    He's no longer taking orders on his site, so that's resolved. As he works through his orders I'm sure that he will get more freed up to address any that have fallen through the cracks.
    You seem pretty confident. Sucks that so many have gotten screwed (damn glad I got stuff back in 2009/2010). I have seen other small operations (like Boone) post on their website, where people actually order the product, that they are currently not taking orders as they have a full plate, then when ready they open up to orders again. He has nothing on his webpage about not taking orders. In fact I was able to add items to the cart and prepare for payment...so he could still be taking in peoples money for all we know.
    Listen, at best this guy makes a good product but is an incompetent business man. At worst, he is a guy who makes a good product but got in over his head and is going to knowingly (or not, who cares) screw a whole lot of people ('criminal negligence' maybe?).
    Sucks because like many I really would like some new bits (Ti cog), but that certainly is not going to happen.
    I no longer deserve a signature.

one chain loop
    I was one of many guys here who got the product BACK when he was still delivering (few years back). That is the thing that pisses me off, I felt like I became a part of Dan's big plan of conning people. Its like "okay, I will make a good batch of product for a bit, make them say good things about me and I will screw them all up as soon as I get their trust (and money)". Pretty clever.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post
    I was one of many guys here who got the product BACK when he was still delivering (few years back). That is the thing that pisses me off, I felt like I became a part of Dan's big plan of conning people. Its like "okay, I will make a good batch of product for a bit, make them say good things about me and I will screw them all up as soon as I get their trust (and money)". Pretty clever.
    I own some HBC stuff; I really like the product I got. That was quite a while ago. Then I took a ~1 year hiatus from MTBR and by the time I came back, Dan's world had crumbled. Shame. I'd like to believe that this was a well intentioned guy who took his eye off the ball and things got away from him. I hate the thought that he'd intentionally swindle anyone. I can't say cuz I don't know, but I still hope he digs himself out. Digging himself out would be good for those of us who still have orders in his queue plus it will be good for Dan's own self esteem. After the dust finally settles on this mess, he needs to be able to look back and say, "I may have pissed a lot of people off, but at least in the end every single one of 'em got what they ordered." It won't make things right -- it's too late for that. But if he follows through to the bitter end, at least he'll be able to look himself in the mirror and know he made good on his obligations, even though he stumbled badly along the way.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

one chain loop
    Don't get me wrong sParty, I am still hoping that these guys get their stuff or at least part of their money back. For me, it came to the point that there is no pride left having his product on my bike. What was used to be a nice work is just a piece of metal to me. Think of it like owning a stolen dirty product made from money stolen from somebody else, not good to have.

You are a great counselor sParty, not like me, I think I was brought up wrong. The thing is, we cannot afford to baby this grown up man. And let's just face it, there is no way we can fix stupid. Well, I guess I can't really call him stupid because he is still walking around feeding off from dirty money..
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by S.O.B. View Post
    You seem pretty confident. ... He has nothing on his webpage about not taking orders. In fact I was able to add items to the cart and prepare for payment...so he could still be taking in peoples money for all we know ...
    I have more confidence now than I had a few weeks ago before I saw his Facebook update with a photo of all the chainrings and cogs waiting to go to the anodizer. And no I don't think he is a scammer who fabricated that photo just to keep us all fooled a little bit longer.

You can add items to your cart, but it is not possible to complete the transaction. I tried to be sure. He said that he will soon make it more obvious on the website that you can't place orders ... maybe he'll do that after he sends me my chainrings, which is fine by me.

mtbr member
    I have more confidence now than I had a few weeks ago before I saw his Facebook update with a photo of all the chainrings and cogs waiting to go to the anodizer. And no I don't think he is a scammer who fabricated that photo just to keep us all fooled a little bit longer.

You can add items to your cart, but it is not possible to complete the transaction. I tried to be sure. He said that he will soon make it more obvious on the website that you can't place orders ... maybe he'll do that after he sends me my chainrings, which is fine by me.
    That photo you speak of is at least two years old.

yep, he's gonna do that, just as soon as he sends you your rings. Lol!

meatier showers
    That photo you speak of is at least two years old.
    Shawn, may I ask how you know this? Thanks.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    I saw the same picture when I bought a ring from him. I believe it was on this site, but I may have seen it somewhere else.

mtbr member
    I have more confidence now than I had a few weeks ago before I saw his Facebook update with a photo of all the chainrings and cogs waiting to go to the anodizer.
    Just to point out that the updated photo was 3 weeks ago. Still, nobody has received products from Dan. Even the masses of us who don't need anything anodized haven't seen anything. Its simply a skeem to try to document that there is ongoing progress. I have been waiting a year for items that don't need to be anodized. He is a thief.

Definition of thief- one that steals especially stealthily or secretly. Yup, he is stealthily baiting you into thinking you will get a product while he spends your money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    it shows paypal to be absolute thieving bankers. homebrewed`s details must have been brought up so many hundreds of times in complaints that a trend of bogus business will certainly be flagged up by them but they are happy for him to continue using their service to take more money all the while they get their fee every time, because of his stated 6 week lead plus our optimism(still thinking "it will come! it really will!") add another 3 months to that and paypal never have to do any refunds as complaints are always over their 4 week limit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This is a true example of what will happen if you don't take care of your customers. You can have the best product in the world, but at some point people just stop trusting and buying from this kind of company. What goes around comes around. RIP HBC.

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    The guy seems like a coward to me. He used to be all over these threads on MTBR, and now you don't see him. I bet he reads every single one of these, especially when there is an entire thread dedicated to his faulty practices, and doesn't have to balls to step up and say something. Go hide in a corner dude.
    Something with wheels and brakes.

92Fifty' Race Team

I like bikes
    Maybe he joined forces with Matt Chester?

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by 29inches View Post
    maybe he joined forces with matt chester?
    LOL!

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have a Specialized SWorks chainring they can't use? Please pm me. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sooo, does anyone else make spiderless chainrings that will fit an FSA crank?

mtbr member
    B u m p

mtbr member
    If the OPer would send me a collection of the information we sent you, i will be happy to submit it all to Dan's local law enforcement. I'm not sure why there hasn't been any updates here aside from the OPer not following through with what he said he was going to do. Sound familiar. Maybe the information created too much stress and there was a 4x4 convention going on...

Please OPer, send me a PM and i'll give you my email to pass along all this order information to law enforcement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Add me to the list
    Order #1332986861
    placed on 3/28/2012
    Sram spiderless chainring red 28 tooth $45
    17 tooth red cog $45
    $7 shipping
    total $97

I just want my money back at this point. I don't want the parts on my bike any more. I'd be more than happy with MRP at this point if I had my $97.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Dan Wilcox's phone number is 858-216-6317... I'm calling everyday until I get my parts or a refund.

He worked with Brian Itzaina (looks like he is still employed there) at Hidden Valley Bicycle in Escondido in the past, based on FB Photo tags.... Maybe stop there and bend a few ears....

1040 E Valley Parkway Suite B
    Escondido, CA 92025-4606
    Phone: (760) 746-1509

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    If the OPer would send me a collection of the information we sent you, i will be happy to submit it all to Dan's local law enforcement. I'm not sure why there hasn't been any updates here aside from the OPer not following through with what he said he was going to do. Sound familiar. Maybe the information created too much stress and there was a 4x4 convention going on...

Please OPer, send me a PM and i'll give you my email to pass along all this order information to law enforcement.
    Contact the US Postal Service too....Mail Fraud.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast