Thread: holy quietness

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

holy quietness

I was digging up some old archive posts I found on other bike forums on google and I came across something that I figured I'd try. I bought a "single speed cog" and "single speed chainring" but honestly I didn't pay attention to the width. Turns out it was 3/32. This was, of course, after I bought a 1/8 BMX chain.

It was quite noisy... especially with a tensioner. On a hunch from what I was gathering from google archive posts, I swapped out the 1/8 chain for my 3/32 I had on the bike when it was geared.

Holy hell, even with the tensioner I CANNOT hear the drivetrain at all. The sound of the bike tire on the flat macadam ground overpowers any sound the drivetrain is making to the point I simply don't hear it.

Hmm, good deal. So I guess I'll keep my 1/8 chain on the shelf as a spare.

I was considering on grabbing some more cogs and a bigger chainring. What do you folks suggest I do? If I'm getting new gearing should I get them 1/8 and use the BMX chain? Or do you think I'd be better off with 3/32? I'm not into colored chains or anything. Just a basic rider. Whadd-ya suggest?

mtbr member
    I have been using 9spd chains on my SS for the past 6 years with out a problem, I choose to use 9spd incase I break a link (knock on wood) I can always steal a link from a buddies geared bike to get home
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    I have been using 9spd chains on my SS for the past 6 years with out a problem, I choose to use 9spd incase I break a link (knock on wood) I can always steal a link from a buddies geared bike to get home
    LOL. I can just imagine being on a trail and seeing some guy on foot running after his buddy with a chain break tool in hand. "Come on bro, just gimme one damnit!"

Have you ever had a chain link break? Or is that just the plan if need be?

mtbr member
    never had one break but a buddy did, luckily his EBB had enough room to just drop the link and run the Ebb all the way back. Also when my chain starts to wear on my geared bike I pull it and use it for my SS and keep my multi geared bike running on fresh chains
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Oh man, so your SS bikes are constantly seeing already worn chains and even then you're still not having any issues? I guess that's something to say about the durability factor, then!

I actually carry about 6 links of extra chain in my bag when I ride. I probably ride with more than I need, but I'd rather have an extra pound or two in my bag than walk 15 miles instead of riding it!

mtbr member
    I break a chain every now and then, so I zip tie a spare link to one of the unused cable guides on the bike just in case.
    Last edited by Velobike; 07-27-2009 at 12:55 AM.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Ovaries on the Outside
    I use the crappy eight speed SRAM chains with their awesome powerlink master links. I have never had a chain go out on me, commuting or on singletrack, but I keep an extra powerlink and whatever length of chain I have around and if it went out on me, I am pretty sure it would be a quick fix.

Life is Go0d!
    I carry a spare chain, and some links. My woman and I, both ride ss.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

Life is a 700c circle...
    I'm running a SRAM 9spd chain and love it although, I'd run an 8 spd chain as well. Light, quiet, seems to be pleny strong enough for me, and it has the "powerlink". To date, I've never broken a bike chain but I'm a maintenance hound too. Geared bike chains are almost always stronger and higher quality than 1/8" chains, I don't know why anyone wants to run that heavy antiquated crap on a nice bike? I carry a few extra links, powerlinks, and a chain tool usually only on longer rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I snapped a SRAM PC-1 (thankfully in my front yard) just working on wheel lofts and pedal kicks and I'm not that strong. Threw the PC-58 on some steep uphill switchbacks and it took a couple teeth with it. I'm staying away from SRAM these days.

I put a K410 1/8 inch on and couldn't be happier. This thing is strong, hasn't stretched much even with energetic riding, and is very quiet. Just b/c you run 1/8" chain on 3/32" cogs doesn't mean you are stuck with drivetrain noise. Also, more teeth = quieter and smoother drivetrain. You can acheive approximately the same ratio with 32/18 or with 38/21. The 38/21 is much smoother, to the point of feeling the difference in the pedals.

And, yeah, carrying a chain tool and a few extra links only makes sense, right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sunset1123
    Just b/c you run 1/8" chain on 3/32" cogs doesn't mean you are stuck with drivetrain noise.
    Oh? So when I'm running 32-14 with 3/32 gears but a 1/8 chain, why is it exponentially louder than when I run a 3/32 chain? What can I do to quiet the 1/8 chain?

When you think about it, geared chains are under the same load as single speed. After all, just because someone has more gears doesn't mean the rear wheel sees less torque, unless you're a granny gear fanatic. So realistically, I don't feel as though I'm going backwards at all when using a 3/32 chain. And considering the difference in weight, plus the fact my 3/32 is so quiet + still as strng as any chain out there, I'm thinking I'll stick with it for quite some time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I don't know anything about your specific setup. I do know that not all cogs and chainrings and chains are created equal, nor do they all play nicely with each other. I didn't say that a 1/8" chain on 3/32" rings had to be quiet, or was even likely to be quiet... just said it didn't have to be noisy.

I have found some components that are dead quiet, and some that sound like hell together. I tend not to use the latter.

Incidentally, I found your comment regarding geared vs SS drivetrain loading to be interesting. On a geared bike, the chain has preload via the tension supplied by the derailleur... which also compensates dynamically for any out-of-roundness in the rings. AFAIK, the only type of SS drivetrain that has any kind of preload on the chain is one which is running some kind of spring tensioning device. I would expect that to be noisy in itself, although I wouldn't know, because I've never had reason to use one on my bike.