mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Hmmm....which SS to buy...

I've got a few choices for potential SS bikes in my local area...

Redline Monocog
    Kona Unit
    Raleigh Rush Hour
    Fuji Track

yes, i know the last 2 are roadies, currently i spend more time on the road anyway, getting myself in shape to tackle offroad rides....

that being said, i *do* want a road bike as a companion piece to my Trek 4500 hardtail, so i have 2 potential courses of action....

get a SS MTB then a road bike later, or kill two birds with one shotgun shell and get a SS roadie

i've only ridden the Kona Unit, and i like it, really nice bike, a bit on the expensive side though ($700), the other bikes will have to be ordered and assembled by the LBS's, they're less likely to order one and build it just to have me test ride it and decide it's not the right one, i'll ride an equivalent bike in the Fuji and Raleigh line to get a rough feel for what they ride like....

which would be the best bet, yes i know i have to ride it to see which one feels right, but on paper, which one is the best bang for the buck?
    Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits, it says "OOOOOOOO"
    Peter, those are Cheerios

Gears, we don't need no steenking gears!

Misfit Psycles
    buy a conversion kit. convert your 4500 to SS.
    forget you ever had gears.
    use the change to buy a second set of slick rubber and large chain ring for the road.

One option you may not have considered is buying a frame and building your own SS over a longer period of time.

failing that the redline is a solid bike at a great price. i would be careful if you choose a dedicated SS for the road only. i enjoy both but, if forced to choose, i would go single in the bush. you can always ride a mtb on the road but not a road in the mt.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Just get an SS cross bike. Road or mountain today? ride road to work and trails afterward.

Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    Just get an SS cross bike. Road or mountain today? ride road to work and trails afterward.
    That is a good idea, and odds are you will start assembling a full-on SS mountain bike before too long [there is no point in lieing to yourself ], and then you can modify the cross slightly to make it more road friendly.

Misfit Psycles
    SS cross is a great idea...but are there any prebuilts in that 400-600$ (MacTech's) price range?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

blame me for missed rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    SS cross is a great idea...but are there any prebuilts in that 400-600$ (MacTech's) price range?
    IRO rob roy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There's just *something* that feels right about the Redline Monocog, maybe it's because it's incredibly pure and simple, maybe because it looks like it's built like a tank, i get the feeling that it's darn near indestructible

it's a basic, heavy duty steel frame, a rigid fork, and a good basic drivetrain, what else do i need

plus, the price can't be beat, yes i know some of the prebuilt components aren't the best, but i'll ride 'em till they break then put better stuff on (once again, keeping with the simplicity angle)

as it stands right now, the bikes, in order of preference, are;

Redline Monocog
    Kona Unit
    Fuji Track
    Raleigh Rush Hour

Neg reppers r my biatches
    I have a soft spot for Redline.......thought I currently don't own one, it reminds me of BMX days when I was a young chap when Redline was the sh!t

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    Look for used would be my best bet. Gotta be tons of cross checks out there. Spend a tad more and get an Il Pompino. I haven't regretted mine for a second.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well, i decided to work with what i have and simply slapped a Surly Singleator on the Fila, i think i made the right choice, no it doesn't look as *clean* as a purpose-built SS, but it doesn't look as bad as i thought it would either....

Still, part of me wants a RLMC, but i really have no *need* for it now, i may end up buying one eventually, but there's no rush

just out of curiosity, where's the MC frame built?, USA, Taiwan, China?