Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

hitch rack which easily stores in trunk of wagon?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  ernesto_from_Wisconsin 
#1 ·
Not really SS specific, but I already asked in the 'General' forum and did not get any responses.

We use our roof rack (fork mount) alot, but on a here-and-there basis. A typical thing is that we commute in the car together with my bike on the roof. Then one of us will work late, so one goes home with the car, and one with the bike... and so on. I want the ability to carry a bike or two whenever it is needed, without planning ahead.
I generally ride to the trailhead.

Basically, as we go for a different car (kid on the way), I am looking for a hitch mount rack that stores neatly in the back of a station wagon at all times. It should be out of the way and not take up too much space.
Then when we want to use it, pull it out of the back, pop it in the receiver square hitch, and then pop on the bike. All of the hitch mount racks that I have seen look too bulky to store in the trunk. And I don't want the rack on there all the time. In that case I would just go for a roof rack. But the hitch rack would be nice to cut down on noise and wind/weather on the bikes, and it looks nicer. I figure it would take about the same amount of time to pop on the hitch rack and mount the bike as removing the front wheel and putting it on the roof.

Car in question is a Passat Wagon, if it matters.

It only needs to carry 2 bikes.
would something like this store easily and work as I would hope?
http://www.performancebike.com/shop...ategory_ID=4411

Thanks in advance for responses or any other advice on how to deal with this.

addendum: yes, cost is an issue. The wagon does not yet have the hitch mount and we don't have the rack. And for now we are keeping the other car, which has a thule rack with 2 rocky mount trays.

See less See more
#4 ·
ernesto_from_Wisconsin said:
We have a Thule spare tire mount that of course, goes onthe spare tire of our Jeep Liberty. Mostly used when I go to Kettle or other near by trails.

I use the http://www.badgerrack.com for when we go far. Bikes are locked on it at all times, and when not in use, it dissasembles and I can store in the Jeep. I love it!
which badger rack? are they a pain to use?

#5 ·
not a pain

jh_on_the_cape said:
which badger rack? are they a pain to use?
I have the http://www.badgerrack.com/horizontal.htm "Z" mount because of the spare tire we had on the Jeep Wrangler and also on the Liberty. When I had my Saturn SL1, I had the standard 12" rise mount. When not in use, I would detach it from the hitch and put it in the trunk of my car. These things are indestructible, and they make the car save on GA$, and since it all locks, you can go to a sketchy taco stand and not worry about the bike. Plus, the Jeeps fits in my garage with the rack on, so I can pack up the night before, and in the morning, just leave and watch the garage door close though the rearview mirror.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.