mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Highball Carbon SS options

I just picked up a Highball from Santa Cruz's frame sale and I am trying to sort through all of the options for making it single speed and I don't really understand it all. It looks like a lot of people are using the Phil Wood EBB to tension the chain. If I go that route do you just use a normal BB/Crankset with it? Do all BB fit in there?

nothing to see here
    The Philcentric accepts 24mm spindle cranksets like shimano & sram. The Philcentric replaces the external bottom bracket bearings and cups with it's own design. It has to be installed by a shop with the proper tool.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wow, after reading a bunch of stuff here about the philcentric I'm wondering if I should just return the frame and get the AL version with the adjustable dropouts instead. It seems that with the weight of the philcentric added to the frame you'd be close to the AL version? Not to mention the price and difficulties of installing and using it. Any opinions out there on this?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How about lacing up a rear wheel with an UNO hub?

White Industries

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Wow, after reading a bunch of stuff here about the philcentric I'm wondering if I should just return the frame and get the AL version with the adjustable dropouts instead. It seems that with the weight of the philcentric added to the frame you'd be close to the AL version? Not to mention the price and difficulties of installing and using it. Any opinions out there on this?
    There aren't really any "difficulties" per se with the philcentric. Mine is pretty solid. You do have to pull your crank to adjust it though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBadWagon View Post
    There aren't really any "difficulties" per se with the philcentric. Mine is pretty solid. You do have to pull your crank to adjust it though.
    That sounds like enough problems to me since changing gearing some times happens weekly.

I'd go the route of the ecentric hub for this build. The easier route would have been to buy a AL Highball with SS swinging dropouts, but you do not get the other benifits from a AL frame like you would from a carbon frame as weight is not the only benifit of carbon. Also since you purchased the Highball Carbon on sale through SC, there are no returns (or at least that is stated on the terms) and you got a great purchase price anyhow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So, next question, is a 15mm through axle for the fork worth the price difference? I also assume I need a tapered steer tube?

mtbr member
    The Trickstuff Exzentriker is imo the best way to go for a frame with threaded BB. I've used it on my 08 Salsa Mamasita with good results. You just need a crank with 24 mm spindle and small or no granny gear tabs. I use the Race Face Turbine. Adjusting is easy : unscrew the two small bolts, give them a little tap to unset the tension and you can adjust your chain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I haven't personally used 15QR much (not on my own bikes) but I'm looking to upgrade. Even if you couldn't tell the difference in rigidity, which as I hear is actually quite noticeable, the thru axle is much better at locating the hub in the same place for your disc brakes. You can set your caliper in position and leave it there, and it won't rub after you put the wheel in again.

It's still pretty easy to see and hear how 9mmQR is flexy. My brakes are BB7s and Juicy 3s so neither have very much pad clearance (I run the BB7s with a short throw), and I can hear the rotors rub if I go around a corner on pavement. It's also quite apparent with hard front braking on loose surfaces, as the wheel can be quite squirrely.
    If the headtube is tapered, you have the option to use a tapered fork, but you can still use an 1 1/8" straight fork with the right crown race (part of the headset).

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Use caution on an Uno hub with the carbon dropouts... I thought I read somewhere that was a no-no. I'm in the process of building up a Highball as well and I'm looking strongly at making it a SS... although I think I'm going to go with a chain tensioner (probably a Surly) after all I've read...

This guy did a pretty comprehensive build and blog about his here: bigrobracing.co.uk - Rob Dean: Santa Cruz / The North Face Endurance Mountain Bike Rider: New Toy - Flyweight Highball Singlespeed

I too am ordering parts now and just had to have a shop order the bottom headset bearings/cup... everything used to be so simple... there are apparently a ton of different taper headset combos out there now.
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    Thanks for the kind words on my blog CactusJackSlade! :-)

I built my Singlespeed Highball Carbon up using a Surly Singleator originally, but only because I was waiting for my trickstuff exzentriker to arrive. It's now installed and I've been running it for a year, in a lovely colour matched red, and I'm very happy with it indeed. It's been rock solid, creak free and I can adjust the chain tension in 30seconds with a single 3mm allen key.

To fit it with the XTR M970 cranks I chose to use, I had to file down the granny ring tabs on the cranks, but this is a 1-time job. I can recommend this setup without and reservations.

My Singlespeed:

The Trickstuff Exzentriker:

mtbr member
    I thought the Highball had a singlespeed dropout option. Why not use that?
    Scott

EDIT
    Sorry I didn't read this closely. The single speed option is only available on the Al frame not the carbon?

EDIT EDIT

I really wish I (was smarter) researched this better. Yesterday I eBayed a HBc with the intention of eventually making it a 1x6, running it SS as I collected the geared parts. I guess I'll have some wall art for a while. Doh!
    Last edited by fire_strom; 11-11-2012 at 07:29 AM.