Thread: hey

mtbr member
    May 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! hey

Hey guys I was just wondering if you could have two rings with a derailleur in the front a one in the back?

Is this possible or would the chain line be all off? Pics of any one who has done this mod.

Thanks and happy trails

Cracker-magnon
    unless you use a tensioner like the Melvin or an old derailleur in the back, I think you would have crazy chain tension problems
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

King Pin

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! blasphemy.

I've not seen, but have heard about some guys and gals running like THREE chainrings in the front, and something like nine or TEN cogs out back!!

Why? Seems overly complicated to me......

glyphic bacon
    You can do it, but you'll need a derailleur in the rear as well. Another option that avoids front and rear derailleurs is to have two cogs in the back that are perfectly aligned with two respective front rings. Then you can manually derail/rail the chain onto the two ratios as desired (obviously while not on the fly).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why not build a wheel around a Shimano Nexus hub, or better yet get an old Sturmey Archer

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Would still need front and rear derailleurs. Would be easier use a single ring up front and 2-3 cogs on the back. Only a rear needed then.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2004

my 2x1

Quote Originally Posted by yetirider1989
    Hey guys I was just wondering if you could have two rings with a derailleur in the front a one in the back?

Is this possible or would the chain line be all off? Pics of any one who has done this mod.

Thanks and happy trails
    I like the two chain ring up frt idea. I've been riding this way for several years. Lately I run a 54 and a 36x16 combo. I can cruise fast to work and climb just about any hill in low range. I still have the benefit of a dishless rear wheel. I like cheap $5 friction shifters, it doesn't even matter if its a left or right shifter. I use a right shifter just to be weird.

I used to ride off rd with a 36 and a 22 ring up frt and a 20 t fw in back. the 22x20 is hard on the drive train but works fine. I have a much better solution now. I use two gears in back and two up frt. with just a rear der.

My Surly is a 3x3 now. Now shifter, no derrailleur. My chain length stays the same, no issues. I have a 36x14 high gear, a 32x18 mid range and a weenie 24x28 low range. I shift with a 15 mm wrench on my handlebars.

My next project is to weld my freehub body so I can have a 3x3 off road fixie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004

my 2x2

Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    I like the two chain ring up frt idea. I've been riding this way for several years. Lately I run a 54 and a 36x16 combo. I can cruise fast to work and climb just about any hill in low range. I still have the benefit of a dishless rear wheel. I like cheap $5 friction shifters, it doesn't even matter if its a left or right shifter. I use a right shifter just to be weird.

I used to ride off rd with a 36 and a 22 ring up frt and a 20 t fw in back. the 22x20 is hard on the drive train but works fine. I have a much better solution now. I use two gears in back and two up frt. with just a rear der.

My Surly is a 3x3 now. Now shifter, no derrailleur. My chain length stays the same, no issues. I have a 36x14 high gear, a 32x18 mid range and a weenie 24x28 low range. I shift with a 15 mm wrench on my handlebars.

My next project is to weld my freehub body so I can have a 3x3 off road fixie.

My 2x2 is working very well.

mtbr member
    May 2004

surly 3x3

Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    My 2x2 is working very well.

Another good idea, no derrailleurs, no shifter. Three gears for any terrain. Cheap and no issue. I just did a tough ride and I was happy to have the weenie gear. One chain length works for all three gears. Weld the freehub and you have a fun 3 speed fixie. The shifter will out last all others shimono makes.

mtbr member
    Of friggin course it would be possible. Chain line be damned that kinda crap can happen. I mean if we landed on the moon (or so the gov claims) then you can use 2 rings up front.
    course you could go the easy way and use the cool though expensive Schlumpf internal 2 speed bottom bracket crankset. Looks like 1speed but has 2 gear ratios. Perhaps the best of both worlds, perhaps to some the antichrist of one speeding. In the words of GW Bush, Our Freedoms Need Limits! Did he mean shifting?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.