mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Help! Trying to complete my 1st SS project.

Hey everyone,

I am in SoCal & noticed that there are plenty of other SoCal natives on this board, which is great. I bought a beater a couple of weeks ago to try my hand at SS. I have repainted the frame & gotten everything set but what I lack is the spacers & lock ring that I need to go full SS. I don't have a spare cassette & have gone to several LBSs to attempt to obtain what I need, but no luck. I bought some Novatec gears last week so I'm almost there. I am waiting for the Gusset kit from Jenson to come in, but I am getting too anxious. Anyone got some spares to sell me to hold me over till I can get the set from Jenson? Thanks in advance. & Thanks to everyone for the painting tips, I think this paint job will be much better than my previous ones.

Steamroller

Use PVC for spacers

1 1/4 inch PVC is supposed to work well for spacers. There are many types of PVC, I'd take the wheel with you to make sure you get the right size. Use a chop saw to cut it straight. Show us a picture when it's done. Good Luck.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    1 1/4 inch PVC is supposed to work well for spacers. There are many types of PVC, I'd take the wheel with you to make sure you get the right size. Use a chop saw to cut it straight. Show us a picture when it's done. Good Luck.
    Yup, PVC works fine...I used it on both wheels for my old SS. The heavy-duty 1-1/4" is what I used.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Don't I need a lock ring also?

Thanks for your reply. I am under the impression that I need a lock ring, that's what I am fishing around for. Went to Home Depot & saw the PVC in that size & am willing to buy & cut to size if needed, but I don't think I can do it without a lock ring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I just use PVC cement

left over from a plumbing job. It's permanent but going singlespeed should be a commitment, don't you think?

Just go to your LBS and they'll probably just toss an old lock ring at ya.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_spoke
    Thanks for your reply. I am under the impression that I need a lock ring, that's what I am fishing around for. Went to Home Depot & saw the PVC in that size & am willing to buy & cut to size if needed, but I don't think I can do it without a lock ring.