Thread: Help, SS newbie

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Help, SS newbie

First SS and actually first 29er. I tried to search the past topics but couldn't find a definitive answer. Maybe it doesn't matter. So my question is should I run a 3/32 or 1/8 chain? I will be running an MRP bling ring and a endless bike cog. Frame is SS specific with ebb if that matters. I have a SRAM 8 speed chain that is brand new laying around but don't want use it if I would be better served running a single speed chain like a SRAM pc-1 which is 1/8. Thanks for the help in advance!

gearstomorrow
    Invest in a high quality 3/32 SS specific chain. No need to have a 1/8 chain on 3/32 teeth.

Wippermann 7R8 is my recommendation. KMC X-1 is another option.

mtbr member
    Or KMC Z610 HX - I have nothing but good to say about them.

mtbr member
    Unless you have a 1/8 chainring and/or rear cog you should definitely just use the 3/32. No need to invest in a single speed specific (?) chain IMO, your Sram 8 speed should do fine.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Unless you have a 1/8 chainring and/or rear cog you should definitely just use the 3/32. No need to invest in a single speed specific (?) chain IMO, your Sram 8 speed should do fine.
    ^^^this^^^

I've used SRAM 8-spd chains for years without any problem. Use yours!
    I've also heard nothing but good things about Andy R's recommendation (KMC Z610 HX)... I'm using the 10-spd equivalent on my geared bikes and KMC's offerings seem equal to SRAM's. I may switch to the KMC 8-spd chain for my SS next time I purchase 8-spd chains.

Welcome,
    =S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Quality 3/32 chains are the better choice.

I only use 1/8 stuff if my sprocket or chainring requires it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Either would work. I have been using KMC 710sl chains for the past thousand miles. Bulletproof

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    what everyone else has said.

I tried the PC-1 on my 3/32 drivetrain and got some side to side rocking noises from the chain. switched to a 9spd chain and everything is nice and snug now.

meatier showers

Help, SS newbie

Quote Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post
    what everyone else has said.

I tried the PC-1 on my 3/32 drivetrain and got some side to side rocking noises from the chain. switched to a 9spd chain and everything is nice and snug now.
    PC-1... worst chain ever manufactured.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks guys! I will use my 8 speed chain. Now to figure out this ebb

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by teamplayr View Post
    I am building a singlespeed and I am almost finished. I need to put the chain on and bleed the brakes and I will be ready to ride. I have measured my chainline using the advice on the forum but now, how do I size the length of the chain? I have a slotted BB shell with ebb inside frame and know that the ebb is used to tighten/loosen the chain but where do you initially rotate the ebb to size the chain? Should I put it in the middle of the rotation (which to me makes the most sense)? Start with the shortest chainline? Longest? Put it so BB is at its highest or lowest? I have no clue??? Thanks in advance
    Start with the ebb giving you the shortest chainlength and then lay the chain over and adjust ebb until you get a nice fit without having to use a half link. BTW, you didn't need to start a new thread for this.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ok thanks. Sorry about the new thread, I dont know why I did that but wasn't sure they bumped them up to the top.

Would your advice still apply if you plan on switching to a larger or smaller cog from time to time? Makes sense (probably only to me b/c this is my first SS) that you would want to do it in the middle of the rotation in case different cogs were changed out. Unless most people have a different chain with different cogs?

nothing to see here
    Depends on the difference in size between the cogs. Each increment in numbers of cog teeth equate to approx 3mm of chainstay length, so where you first set your EBB will determine the available adjustment left for other cog sizes. For example, when I use my 19t, I have to set the EBB nearly all the way back, which doesn't allow me to use a larger cog without changing the chain. I could have it all the way forward and use a chain with an extra link, but I like it the way it is for the handling. I usually have another chain cut to size, as I'll only swap out my 19 for a 14 (for road duties) if required.

When setting it up, use an un-cut chain and a marker and see what happens when you swap cogs. Also, if setting the EBB in the back half of the rotation, use the lower portion, and if setting in the front half, use the upper portion. That way, if the EBB loosens, the the chain won't loose tension.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for all your help. I got it set up tonight. I went with putting it all the way to the rear and sizing chain from that. Chainline looks great and seems smooth in the stand. As far as chain tension, should it be super tight or back off a little from that? As of now it's tight, but has a touch of downward movement when pushing down with my finger.

nothing to see here
    A little movement is fine. If it's a new chain, it will likely stretch a little in the first few rides. I run mine fairly loose, but my frame is very stiff and chainline is spot on and I never drop the chain. If the chain is too tight, you can do damage to your freehub and bottom bracket bearings, but this will be evident when you spin the cranks and the bearings bind.

Btw, what frame is it? Pics?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

meatier showers

Help, SS newbie

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayr View Post
    Thanks for all your help. I got it set up tonight. I went with putting it all the way to the rear and sizing chain from that. Chainline looks great and seems smooth in the stand. As far as chain tension, should it be super tight or back off a little from that? As of now it's tight, but has a touch of downward movement when pushing down with my finger.
    It it's tight, it's too tight.

That said, if it's a brand new chain, it'll loosen up like crazy within the first mile.

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The bearings feel smooth so I think its spot on and I am pretty sure chainline is perfect. It is a new chain so I will check it after the first ride next week.

As far as frame it is a specialized carve sl. I was going to buy the complete bike since it seemed like a good deal but came a across a frame with chisel fork that someone was letting go for a good price. Also, I figured this would be the better route as I would change the seatpost, stem, handlbar, and brakes anyway. Found some SS specific I-9 wheels for a good price also. I will get some pics soon. I guess I wanted to have a somewhat entry level SS but went a little overboard, but why not? Dont plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.

Frame/Fork: Specialized Carve Sl w/ chisel fork
    Wheels: I9 with stans crest
    Tires: Maxxis Ikon
    Stem: Ritchey WCS trail
    Hbar: Niner flat top carbon
    Seatpost: Ritchey WCS trail
    Saddle: Some random selle italia I had laying around
    Brakes: Magura MT8 (had these as backups in case my xx brakes crapped out again)
    Cog: Endless bike
    Crank/BB/Ring: Truvativ GXP BB with XX1 crank and MRP bling ring
    Grips: ESI
    Chain: sram PC 850

nothing to see here
    You've got a nice build there. Mine is a Carve too, but a 2012 SS, with the black and white frame. As long as your chainline is spot on (can't hurt to measure it...yell out if you need help with that technique), you won't ever drop a chain on that sucker.

obligatory pic .

Help, SS newbie-img_5705-1280x720-.jpg
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Sweet ride. Where is that pic taken (state)? Took mine out yesterday. Was geared perfect for the climbs at the 1996 olympic course but I think I need a 17 on the back as opposed to 18 b/c it just seemed like I was pedaling so much and not going anywhere fast. Im sure I have to get used to that though with the SS. Took a lap to get used to a 29" wheel and a shorter stem but could whip the bike around after about an hour of riding it. Thanks for all the help. Crappy iphone pic below. Yes i know, brake lines too long and seat too high in the picture. I wish the I9's were all black instead of blue so I could have an all stealth look but at the price I got them for I could only have the colors blue, blue, or blue. I thought it wouldnt look that good but its kind of growing on me.

Help, SS newbie-photo.jpg

nothing to see here
    Thanks, and you're welcome. That pic was taken in Victoria, Australia. Nice bike, love the black frames.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.