mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Idea! Help me Understand a Rotor Q-Ring Setup...Please.

Hello. I'd like to run a 34t SS chainring. I gather that it's a 104bcd piece, and being a newbie to bike tech, I'm having trouble figuring what crankset I need. I THINK I can run any crankset with 104 bcd, correct?

The bit that really confuses me is that Rotor seems to only make a TRIPLE crankset setup to fit their SS ring...

Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliphorn View Post
    Hello. I'd like to run a 34t SS chainring. I gather that it's a 104bcd piece, and being a newbie to bike tech, I'm having trouble figuring what crankset I need. I THINK I can run any crankset with 104 bcd, correct?

The bit that really confuses me is that Rotor seems to only make a TRIPLE crankset setup to fit their SS ring...

Am I missing something?
    They'll fit onto any 104 bcd crankset such as an XT Shimano Crankset. I imagine the Rotor Triple Crankset has a 104 bcd for the large rings.

mtbr member
    This is a good crank-set at a very good price. Sell the rings on eBay and get some dollars back.

Use your SS ring in the middle position and run a bash in the outer position if you want. You will need shorter chain ring bolts if you just run the single chain ring.

Shimano-SLX-M670-3x10-Crankset
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Help me Understand a Rotor Q-Ring Setup...Please.-img_4286.jpg
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the responses. I'm surprised that Rotor seems to only make a MTB crankset in triple for their SS ring. Why would they do that?

I'm hoping for a stiff and light crankset that looks nice, too. The Rotor is a bit loud and expensive but has a very good reputation.

I also noticed that the Rotor triple cranksets have a 4-leg spider while the doubles have a 5-leg. Is that the standard?

mtbr member

Help me Understand a Rotor Q-Ring Setup...Please.

Thanks for the responses. I'm surprised that Rotor seems to only make a MTB crankset in triple for their SS ring. Why would they do that?
    They make the SS ring because people want it, and because it's profitable. Perhaps a crank wouldn't make money. Lots of SS users going to Q-rings already have a SS crank and are just switching rings.

I run my Q-ring with a four-arm alloy spider on a pair of Middleburn cranks, I love the setup.

mtbr member
    ..snip..

I also noticed that the Rotor triple cranksets have a 4-leg spider while the doubles have a 5-leg. Is that the standard?

4 arm are MTB 5 arm doubles are Road crank sets.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    4 arm are MTB 5 arm doubles are Road crank sets.
    That's a good rule of thumb, and I'll remember it. However, I think my confusion is here:

Rotor Bike Components :: 3D+ Mountain Bike Cranks

That's a mountain bike setup, according to Rotor...annoying that the SS-specific chainring is clearly designed for a four-arm spider. I wonder why they didn't put mounting hold all the way around the ring like the others. I imagine because it's too small, which is probably also why they don't have a 32T, which I'd prefer. Ramble, ramble...

Thanks for helping me out with this, I'm starting to get it. Just really odd that the only compatible setup that Rotor makes for it's own SS chainring is a triple.

mtbr member

Help me Understand a Rotor Q-Ring Setup...Please.

they don't have a 32T, which I'd prefer.
    I think you'll find that after adjusting to the new shape of your pedal stroke, the 34T rotor is about the same as a 32T round ring.

I made this exact switch, and the big difference is that I can climb faster now!

mtbr member
    That's a good rule of thumb, and I'll remember it. However, I think my confusion is here:

Rotor Bike Components :: 3D+ Mountain Bike Cranks

That's a mountain bike setup, according to Rotor...annoying that the SS-specific chainring is clearly designed for a four-arm spider. I wonder why they didn't put mounting hold all the way around the ring like the others. I imagine because it's too small, which is probably also why they don't have a 32T, which I'd prefer. Ramble, ramble...

Thanks for helping me out with this, I'm starting to get it. Just really odd that the only compatible setup that Rotor makes for it's own SS chainring is a triple.
    Rotor's double mtb crank is a 5-arm 110BCD. Don't get that one if you plan on running their ss ring.

I love my rotor ss ring, but I'm not sure the Rotor crank is worth the $$ over a Shimano SLX or XT. The Rotor is definitely sexier, though.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    Rotor's double mtb crank is a 5-arm 110BCD. Don't get that one if you plan on running their ss ring.

I love my rotor ss ring, but I'm not sure the Rotor crank is worth the $$ over a Shimano SLX or XT. The Rotor is definitely sexier, though.
    Okay, maybe a dumb question...Is there a way to run this particular Q-ring with a spiderless crankset?

Thanks again for all of your help, everyone.

mtbr member
    Okay, maybe a dumb question...Is there a way to run this particular Q-ring with a spiderless crankset?

Thanks again for all of your help, everyone.
    Not without some variety of adapter.

What crank?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    Not without some variety of adapter.

What crank?
    The 34T SS. Thanks!

Also, any idea what the width of this ring is? I'm assuming 3/32" but haven't found the actual number anywhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Bump. Does anyone know the thickness of the Rotor 34T SS chainring? I'm hoping to find out soon so I can order my chain. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Anybody?

nothing to see here
    9spd chain will work
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    The SS Q-ring is 3/32". Don't use a 9-speed chain, on a 3/32" drivetrain (like a Q-ring and say, a Surly cog) you should use a SS specific 3/32" wide chain like a KMC ZH610X (or an 8-speed chain - like an X8-93, also 3/32" wide).
    Here's my current set-up, using an XT double crank. Not as cheap as an SLX, but a bit nicer IMO, a bit lighter, and the deal breaker with an SLX for me was - it doesn't come in 180mm arm length.
    I ran my first Q-ring with Middleburn cranks, using their 104BCD removable spider - which is what you would need for any spiderless setup you may have - I used my Middleburns with their UNO spiderless ring before I switched to Q-ring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me Understand a Rotor Q-Ring Setup...Please.-xt-q-ring.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek View Post
    The SS Q-ring is 3/32". Don't use a 9-speed chain, on a 3/32" drivetrain (like a Q-ring and say, a Surly cog) you should use a SS specific 3/32" wide chain like a KMC ZH610X (or an 8-speed chain - like an X8-93, also 3/32" wide).
    Here's my current set-up, using an XT double crank. Not as cheap as an SLX, but a bit nicer IMO, a bit lighter, and the deal breaker with an SLX for me was - it doesn't come in 180mm arm length.
    I ran my first Q-ring with Middleburn cranks, using their 104BCD removable spider - which is what you would need for any spiderless setup you may have - I used my Middleburns with their UNO spiderless ring before I switched to Q-ring.
    Great post. Thanks for all the info. I think all my questions (for the moment, anyway) have been answered. Thanks to everyone for chiming in! I really appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    9spd chain will work
    So will 10