mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Help me with a Redline-Kona conversion please!!

Hi, brand new here.
    Currently riding a Redline Monocog but I just purchased a 2004 Kona Unit frame. Here's my issues:
    BB- 68x116 on the Redline, the Kona site says 68x113 is needed. Do I need a new one?
    Rear Hub- Weird 110 spacing on the Redline. I want to run QR on the Kona, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The BB will work but it won't be perfect. You want a chainline as straight as possible, otherwise everything wears out faster. A few mm doesn't seem like much but it won't be dialed in perfectly. 110 mm rear hub spacing is for BMX hubs. You might be able to get away with spacers but I'm not really sure. You might want to use bolt on hubs not QR to avoid any wheel slippage. Good luck.

Bryn Mawr Borracho
    Jan 2004

Redline vs. Unit

The bb spindle length is dictated by your cranks, not so much the frame. Both frames take 68mm shell bb's, so you're cool there. Try the stock bb that came with your Redline. It should work. The only concern could be chainline issues. You quite possibly could use a 113, but may not need to. As for your hub, the Redline using BMX spacing (110mm) rather than 'standard' 135mm mountainbike spacing. Unless you get a longer axle and some spacers, the Redline hub is not going to work, and even then, it may cause chainline issues. Buy a Surly hub and be done with it. Their new disc models are available with qr, and with the Unit, I imagine you want to run discs.

cheers,
    Hurl
    CRC
    carsrcoffins.com

semi-evolved simian
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainwhipped
    The BB will work but it won't be perfect. You want a chainline as straight as possible, otherwise everything wears out faster. A few mm doesn't seem like much but it won't be dialed in perfectly. 110 mm rear hub spacing is for BMX hubs. You might be able to get away with spacers but I'm not really sure. You might want to use bolt on hubs not QR to avoid any wheel slippage. Good luck.
    Using a standard freehub rear wheel with spacers will allow tweaking of chainline so the BB spindle length shouldn't be an issue - that's what I use on my Explosif (same frame as the Unit). In many ways I think that's preferable to a SS specific rear wheel since it allows really fine chainline tuning.

QR is not a problem with the Unit since it has vertical dropouts, wheel slippage is not an issue. The 110mm Redline hub won't work though, I think even with axle spacers to make it fit you'd fine the chainline would be way too inboard.

I guess what I'm trying to say is just get a cheapish QR "geared" rear wheel. Maybe something laced to an XT disc hub, whatever. You need a new wheel anyway and getting the standard freehub body will let you reuse your cranks+BB.
    Last edited by Mine'sAPint; 04-27-2004 at 09:49 AM.