Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TR
    Angry bunny

Help me find some bling bling for my first SS

I have been lurking over here in Oz for some time checking out your fiiiiiiiiine SS steeds and have now decided to start buying parts for my first venture to the dark side much to the disgust of some of my geared riding buddies.
    I have spent many hours covetting Hollywood (and others) pink machines and also took a shine to the blue rims and hubs. I have tracked down the exact same rims as Hollywood used via icyclesusa.com myself but wondered if anyone could tell me of anyone who makes ano blue hubs other than Chris King. I am looking for something decent and a little less expensive.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

they have ghettos in Australia?

if you don't live in one, why do you insist on using that silly ghetto language? Bling bling. Huh? Wha? Speak English like the Ozzie you are and be proud.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Thanks for the English lesson bulC but if I wanted that assistance I would have posted on Grammar101.com. Now has anyone got any real recommendations.

Oh yeah, while I am at it. It is Aussie, not Ozzie. Ozzie is that demented guy on MTV who used to be one of the most awesome singers in the world but has been reduced to calling out "Sharon, Sharon" and being paraded around on TV with his two wannabe rockstar kids.

Fair Dinkum, try to ask a relatively simple question and you get bombarded with this.
    Last edited by toowoombarider; 04-22-2004 at 02:44 PM.

mtbr member

chi

Did bling-bling replace chi-chi? Did I miss the memo? I must be old now.

No King? Try Sun Ringle. Oh, but that's not cheaper. Work an odd-job and get the Kings.

More fancy parts--I'm considering a Seven bar, a Moots stem, and an Ibis post. (King wheelset on order). Cranks--need something snazzier than these Truvativs.

ali'i hua
    one of the best chi-chi bling items around: a boone cog. (damn- cant find a pic)

34N 118W

hang in there...

Quote Originally Posted by toowoombarider
    Now has anyone got any real recommendations.
    thanks for digging my rig!

"Real" is the only other company making blue hubs that I know of, other than Chris King. But I hear they suck, so like others said, better off saving up for some CK's. I bought my set used from an MTBR buddy for $300 US.

and as Ethan mentioned, Boone is a sweet upgrade too. Pricey but so purdy. CK headset, carbon or ti bars/posts, etc.

Do you have a SS now? Building one?

and nevermind Club, er, bulC. He gets cranky sometimes when you're talking about GW, buying a new car, buying brand new bike parts, or riding anything that's newer than 1992, but we love him just the same. Ain't that right soldier?

I like Squishy Bikes

Boone

Here's a Boone Cog
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

Now with 3 more inches!

Hope in Blue

Hope makes blue hubs.
    Here's their Australia distributor:

bikebar@yahoo.com.au

Now with 3 more inches!

oops

maybe not an ss hub though

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

simple is beautiful

No fancy colors for me. I currently lobbying very hard for the Phil Wood "kissoff" hub and the White Industries single speed cranks.

Bikes not Bombs.....

Anodized colors of parts or other bling bling items....

You might want to email Brent@philwood.com to see if it possible to have a pair of Phil hubs anodized blue. I know they will try to do what they can. I run a set of the Kiss Off hubs and am very happy with them.

Boone cogs in the rear are nice, but so are the Kings, White industry crank sets are nice.

Let us know what you decide on.

JS
    [SIZE=2]Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... [/SIZE] -

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    I wondered if anyone could tell me of anyone who makes ano blue hubs other than Chris King.
    Ritchey makes blue hubs, and they look like high-dollar pieces. I got mine for US$60 new from Veloswap, but your LBS might be able to order some for you (I don't know where online to buy them, but I've heard Cambria might have some). They're not Kings by any means, but they're awesome hubs. Mine have been flawless - reasonably light, strong, and they laced up real nice (my first wheelbuild!).

My best shot of the hub in question - at least you can get a feel for color.

As far as the bling goes, I'd recommend a complicated fracture of some sort that requires advanced orthopedia to reconstruct. Here's mine, for a slim CAN$20,000:

On a complete aside, where is Toowoomba? I'll be in Australia from May - August, and would love a riding parter. I'll be spending about half the time in Sydney city and the other half with my fiancee's folks in Port Macquarie. My instinct places Toowoomba in the west, but I'm not too sure...

Lastlly, what kind of gearing are you thinking of running? I'm running 32 x 19 here in Colorado, but am thinking of going a little lower for the riding around Sydney - say, 32 x 16?

Here's the ride I'll be bringing, though it's changed a bit, and will have a rigid fork on it in Oz. Adios - S

"I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

You Are What You Is

Damn SDizzle....

I think you've got just about the dirtiest chain I've ever seen. Well, hopefully that means that you've been too busy riding to clean it. How many miles have you put on that Minute fork? Which model is it (One, Two, or Three)? You better takes tons of ride pics while you're in Australia.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    if you don't live in one, why do you insist on using that silly ghetto language? Bling bling. Huh? Wha? Speak English like the Ozzie you are and be proud.

cultural imperialist.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood

Do you have a SS now? Building one?
    Hey Hollywood
    Not hard to dig a sweet rig like yours.
    The guys on my home website like it just as much as the guys over here. (I posted a pic of it over here).
    Pinks is still not the new black over here....that may take some time but I will see what I can do for promoting its cause.
    No I do not have an SS yet but I have been talking about it for quite some time and decided to actually do something about it. Unfortunately the budget for it is very tight as I blew a heap on building up an NRS so I am planning on converting something accross. Saw the Excalibur rims for $21.95 each at icyclesusa.com and might just get a pair of them unless I can find anything for a comparable price over here (good luck). Are you happy with yours??
    Am also thinking about going with a rigid fork. Are you back riding yours or have you stayed with the suspension fork???

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood

I bought my set used from an MTBR buddy for $300 US.
    Dont forget that any price you see I have to add 25% to plus shipping and perhaps tax. Makes the price of stuff over here pretty stiff compared to over there.

Glutton for punishment
    How do you like that minute on the bike?

ScottN

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    Ritchey makes blue hubs, and they look like high-dollar pieces.

On a complete aside, where is Toowoomba? I'll be in Australia from May - August, and would love a riding parter. I'll be spending about half the time in Sydney city and the other half with my fiancee's folks in Port Macquarie. My instinct places Toowoomba in the west, but I'm not too sure...

Lastlly, what kind of gearing are you thinking of running? I'm running 32 x 19 here in Colorado, but am thinking of going a little lower for the riding around Sydney - say, 32 x 16?
    Those Ritchey's could be the go. Not only do they come in blue if I can find them but they have my initials on them as well (most of the guys over here on my home forum cant be bothered typing Toowoombarider so I am usually called TR).

Toowoomba would be quite a sidetrip for you unfortunately. It is 150km (sorry I dont do miles) inland from Brisbane. You should come up to QLD it is THE most beauitful part of Australia . I am biased as I live here of course. Let me know if you decide to do aside trip up to Brisbane or the Gold Coast as I would love to show you around.

Not sure on the gearing yet. Toowoomba is right on top of the Great Dividing Range and as such is quite steep riding but I also do quite a lot of riding around Brisbane where there are lots of short, sharp climbs. Basically I have spent my time lurking here and drooling over the shiny metal but have not gotten down to the technical stuff yet.

I will be paying attention from now on and learning what I can for the project.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Thanks to all of you who replied.
    I will check out all of those options and will keep you all informed on my progress.
    This could be a long term project because I will be doing this on a strict budget.
    If you see anything that might suit let me know.

Basically I am looking to build as follows:
    Large frame (I am currently riding a 20.5' NRS)
    Rigid fork
    Riser bar (ano blue??)
    Ritchey stem (for the TR'ness)
    Blue hubs/rims
    Blue saddle

Hmmmmmm, not much there really but it is a start.

Toowoomba would be quite a sidetrip for you unfortunately. It is 150km (sorry I dont do miles) inland from Brisbane. You should come up to QLD it is THE most beauitful part of Australia . I am biased as I live here of course. Let me know if you decide to do aside trip up to Brisbane or the Gold Coast as I would love to show you around.
    Well, as best I know, Brisbane is a damn long way from Port (which is a damn long way from Sydney), so I don't think we'll be making it out your way. Chaz (my S-O) has visions of going north to the Great Barrier and up to the coast, but I doubt we'll go west very far. I'm sort of a mountain goat, and have been all my life, so I think she's going to take very chance she gets to show me the ocean. Hopefully I'll get to do some riding in between, but we'll be on the train the whole way, and my bike might stay at home in Sydney city. I'll track you down if I come your way, though.

Scott - the Minute One is nice, but not all it's cracked up to be (read: MBA). It's not nearly as stiff as my Z1 was, nor as plush - and the Z1 was an air fork! That said, it's a helluva lot lighter, and almost an inch shorter a - c. Based on this, it's a keeper, but, for what it's worth, it's too high maintenance for any of the traveling I'll be doing this summer - I'm taking just the rigid fork and some 2.7 tires.

Lastly, my chain is not that dirty! It's just our champagne powder caked on dry lubricant. That said, I don't clean it very frequently, but it's Wipperman stainless, and doesn't really care. I've had that chain since June, and it hasn't stretched or complained at even the slightest!

-The Good Doctor

Singlespeeder Downunder
    Jan 2004

Local?

How about keeping the business downunder and going with Aireal hubs?

http://www.airealindustries.com/prod.../front/xc.html

jag
    Attached Images Attached Images

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by planetjag
    How about keeping the business downunder and going with Aireal hubs?
    jag
    Yep, have just been looking at them yesterday believe it or not.
    Got quoted $350 per pair and $175 for their headset in the same ano blue.
    Dont know much about them though.
    Are they any good??

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I've helped to create a monster!

Go TR!! We need another ss'er so I'm not the only one getting jested on, during our rides.

SDizzle in Sydney look up a store called Bike Addiction www.bikeaddiction.com.au The manager, Hugh Flower is a ss'er and very knowledgable about trails/scene in Sydney, as well as being a nice bloke too. Definitely take the bike though!

Quote Originally Posted by NoWay Ray
    SDizzle in Sydney look up a store called Bike Addiction www.bikeaddiction.com.au The manager, Hugh Flower is a ss'er and very knowledgable about trails/scene in Sydney, as well as being a nice bloke too. Definitely take the bike though!
    Sweet! I just sent the link to my GF, who lives there, and she just got burned by her LBS of choice to have a spoke replaced. Apparently, they told her the four-year-old bottom-of-the-line Rock Shox on her SS is better than all Zoke and Manitous combined, so I don't really trust them at all... It'd be nice for her to have someone to give her some good trail info, too, so that she could ride independent from me (provided school permits it, of course). If you're looking to ride anytime this summer/your winter, check this board; I'll post when I arrive and unpack my ride! Adieu - S

-The Good Doctor

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'd be keen to ride, however I live in Brisbane, sort of close to Toowoombarider, but we're about 12 hrs drive from Sydney. I've known Hugh for a few years though, he's just finished a trails book for the Sydney area and his girlfriend runs female only rides/clinics, so if they can't help you out, no one can. How long are you staying down under for, I'm thinking of going to Sydney to race a 12 hr in a few months(solo ss of course), so perhaps we could hook up around then??

Sorry TR for hijacking your thread!! Back to the bling. I remembered a mate who had an American Classic screw on rear hub from a few years back, it is blue and correct axle length for mtb. I'll contact him and see if he's willing to part with it, there may also be a matching front hub too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast