The Original Suspect

Help me decide on cranks

Having a hard time choosing. Which one will be a better choice for SS. Aesthetics play a part because I am trying to keep all the components black on this frame up build.

FSA Afterburner: Afterburner Double STC MegaExo Crankset
    Cons: I will have to replace the chainring to a more reasonable 32

RaceFace ride SS: Race Face Ride Single Speed Cranks 2013 > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Cons: Not sure of the weight but don't think it's far off from the rest
    Pros: no need to buy chainring

Sram X7: Sram X7 2X10 GXP Crankset '11 > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Cons: Once again need new chainring
    Pros: Can be spiderless

Shimano Zee M640: Shimano M640 Zee Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Cons: new chainring needed
    Pros: single front ring specific

Another reason I am looking at these specifically is price. They all fall into a good price point. I have the ability to pro deal and don't want to spend an arm and leg. I am still on a budget for this build.

Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    I have the SRAM and I like it alot, slightly different but it's the same crank...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Personally, I won't buy another RaceFace crankset because of the lack of bearing preload adjustment. I've also experienced subpar bearings with RaceFace as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Are the SLX cranks not black enough?

Shimano SLX M660-10 Oe Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I'm not really impressed with any on your list. That SRAM Nubs posted is sexy, though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have 2 sets of RF cranks and have had no issues with the cranks nor bearings.

On my SS I run the RF Turbine cranks as they are pretty light and fairly stiff. You can get just the arms w/ BB for around $175 or a SS kit with chaining and bash for around $250 online.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me decide on cranks-cranks.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    XX1 connected to a Beer component EBB, solid!

The Original Suspect
    Thanks for the input. I based these choices on price and color. All less than $160, not really wanting to spend more than that. I currently have a set of RF cranks on my FS bike and actually have had them on two bikes and never a problem. Although I am not running the stock BB I didn't have problems with it when I did.

@ Nubster, how difficult is it to remove the spider as well as finding rings?

one chain loop
    to answer that question, SRAM/Truvativ spider is held by three torx bolts so no special lockring tool required to remove it.

i love my AKA as well and there are tons of spiderless chainring option to choose from (absoluteblack, mrp, north shore billet, wolf tooth components, carbon-ti, etc.)

mine with absoluteblack:
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Yup, like fishcreek said, it's literally three screws on the back side of the spider.

HBC was the only game in town for sometime but in case you haven't read the threads about them, steer clear, for now at least. Fantastic product but it took a year to the day to receive my order. Some people have been waiting even longer and still haven't gotten theirs. He's not even taking orders right now so it really doesn't matter.

Seems like right now AbsoluteBlack is the new favorite with MRP being another popular option. You can also use 104mm BCD rings on that crank, so there's more options for you as well.

Another crank option might be the SRAM X.9. Not black but more of a grey color but it's pretty understated which I like. I have one for another bike I'm going to build. You can also see on the backside the three screws.

mtbr member
    +1 for Race Face. I spent the last 5-6 years on a Evolve DH (I was 230lbs) Now I'm rockin in at 170ish lbs and just upgraded to a brand spankin' new Turbine and love it.
    Registered pedalphile.

The Original Suspect
    Ok guys I think I am sold on the SRAM. Thanks for all the good input!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The link to the SRAM has 2 spokes. Do you buy it like that and remove one, or do you buy a SS version?

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by gr4474 View Post
    The link to the SRAM has 2 spokes. Do you buy it like that and remove one, or do you buy a SS version?
    I haven't seen a SS version, so I will purchase the double and just remove them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I did find a SS after I posted, if you google it with 1.1 in the name, but they are discontinued as far as I know.

mtbr member
    My Truvativ was a double + bash. So I removed the two chainrings and ran a RaceFace single ring with the bashguard and it worked well, until I grenaded the ring. Two days later my HBC arrived so it was perfect timing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Help me decide on cranks

Just in case you haven't bought yet, I recently swapped to the Zee on my Yelli Screamy and really like it. Don't have a bunch of miles on it yet, but it's nice a sturdy and lighter than I would have thought.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Elroy, I love that purple Canefield!

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by elroyj View Post
    Just in case you haven't bought yet, I recently swapped to the Zee on my Yelli Screamy and really like it. Don't have a bunch of miles on it yet, but it's nice a sturdy and lighter than I would have thought.
    Very nice! I haven't purchased yet, but soon! Those Zee look great!