mtbr member
    May 2011

Help me choose between these two frames for my SS project

Hello guys. I'm getting back into MTB'ing after 6 years of living in the city. I have now moved from Berlin to rural Canada so I wanna get back riding! My plan is to build a single speed hardtail (with option to maybe upgrade (downgrade?) to 1x9). I have a budget at around $250 for the frame (including shipping).
    I have narrowed the search down to two fine frames on Pinkbike.com, a used Cannondale F600 or a brand ned Scott Scale 40
    At the moment I'm sort of leaning towards the Scott because its new, but I dont really know.

Any help or input is most welcome!

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    I know both bikes are listed as "large" but the Cannondale looks a bit like a small large, though I don't know about the top tube length. I'd be hunting down a geometry chart and getting the one that fits best or waiting until you find one that does.

Also, is the Cannondale being sold with the headshock fork as well? I note the seller is throwing in reducers to run a regular 1.125" fork so if the original fork isn't part of the sale it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Grumps

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I will have to check if the sizes fit me before I buy any frame. Thanks for the heads up! I'm 6'1" (and tons of fun) and I have always ridden 19"/large bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matw View Post
    I will have to check if the sizes fit me before I buy any frame. Thanks for the heads up! I'm 6'1" (and tons of fun) and I have always ridden 19"/large bikes.

Besides seat tube length, take a good look at top tube length, too.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I know you are on a budget but I would look for something a eccentric bottom bracket or adjustable drop outs. this will make it easier to adjust your chain.Are you looking at 26 or 29" wheels?. take a look on ebay I saw a few redline single speeds for sale a while ago.
    good luck

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    I know you are on a budget but I would look for something a eccentric bottom bracket or adjustable drop outs. this will make it easier to adjust your chain.Are you looking at 26 or 29" wheels?. take a look on ebay I saw a few redline single speeds for sale a while ago.
    good luck
    I want something that I can convert to a geared bike later on if I want. I have never MTB'd in the area I live in now and if it shows not to be suited to for SS, I want the option of "going back" to probably a 1x9 setup.
    For chain tension I plan on using one of these.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    that web page has a lot of good info. I am not a big fan of the tension but they do work.
    good luck