Thread: Help me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Help me.

I'm not much of a bike mechanic but if i'm told how to do something, i can do it.
    I just removed the rear gears from a wheel and would like to further take that apart, select the gear I want, install spacers and remount. I don't know any terminology. Here's a pic. How do I take this thing apart? A specific tool name would be great.

Last edited by ctaggart; 08-04-2009 at 01:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Is that what you want to take apart? That looks like a cassette removal tool.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 10000 Lakes
    Is that what you want to take apart? That looks like a cassette removal tool.

I edited the post with the proper picture. I'm falling apart here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Don't sweat too much man. Flip that sh** over and you'll see one tiny allen screw holding all the rings together. Unscrew that and the whole cassette will fall apart. Plus you'll have some useful spacers you can use depending on which hub kit you buy.
    8 is great

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NovakanX
    Don't sweat too much man. Flip that sh** over and you'll see one tiny allen screw holding all the rings together. Unscrew that and the whole cassette will fall apart. Plus you'll have some useful spacers you can use depending on which hub kit you buy.

Here's the flip side. I don't see any place for an allen screw.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Uh oh......you've got whats known as "a cheap a** cassette". Its probobly made all in one piece. Whats your goal for taking it apart anyway? Buy a singlespeed conversion kit
    8 is great

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Can you suggest a freewheel SS conversion kit?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That's not even a cassette. It's a freewheel. Just go buy a BMX freewheel from your LBS. Try to get a Shimano as they're better than an ACS. It will die soon enough though.

Or you can try to take the freewheel apart. It looks to have a lockring on the outside. Grab a spanner and put the remover tool in the middle and try to spin the lockring off. Then you'll have to make spacers to fill in the gaps where the other gears were.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Here's what I'm working with.

human dehumidifier
    Yeah you're going to need a freewheel, and to respace that axle and redish the wheel.

Didn't I post that in a thread of yours yesterday, or am I imaginiing it?
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    Yeah you're going to need a freewheel, and to re-space that axle and re-dish the wheel.

Didn't I post that in a thread of yours yesterday, or am I imagining it?
    You did indeed say that yesterday.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher