mtbr member
    May 2013

HELP! I'm addicted to Singlespeed!

Just hoping to find some support or maybe even an SS sponsor to help me get through this tough time.

Like many people who get addicted to single speed, my addiction came on strong and without warning. The whole time I really thought I had it control, but of course nothing could be further from the truth.

At first I started experimenting with gateway gearing setups after work as a way to relax and unwind after a hard day at the office. Dropped the front derailleur and ran a 1X9 just to see how it felt.

I quickly realized things were out of control when I rebuilt an old Reynolds Steel Voodoo Bizango and set it up as with 32X20 gearing. Of course this wasn't strong enough to feed my growing addiction and I quickly moved up to a 36X18.

Now the problem is I can't stop riding this bike! I ride the local trails (Allegrippis, Blue Knob) farm roads by my house, I even pedal around my yard while my kids are jumping on the trampoline without any concern for how I may be effecting their lives with my reckless addiction.

My only hope is that someone, anyone, might be going through the same situation and can offer some advice.

Until then I'm off to go ride my bike again.

nothing to see here
    Yeah, you're screwed. Might as well embrace it.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

I should be studying...
    I hear ya' man. I just converted my 26", my 29", and my Fiance's 26" to ss. I converted my old 26 first and decided that I needed to convert my new Carbon 29er otherwise I would never ride it.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yup. I'm in the process of draining the transmission fluid out of the family SUV. Figure if I enjoy riding with one gear this much my wife might enjoy her work commute a little more without the transmission getting in the way.

But seriously, I can't stop riding this bike. I don't want to sound too hippy but I really do feel more in tune with both the bike and the trail. I'm choosing better lines, leveraging my momentum, and even caught myself instinctively pumping rollers like I did in my BMX days.

Dirt Rag Dirt Fest is in my backyard this weekend and decided to swap out the front squish with a Surly rigid fork, so I'll be riding a full rigid SS for the first time since I was a pup. I can't wait to see the sideways looks I get from some of these tourists on their FS bikes as I zoom past.

mtbr member
    Rock on brother, there are many many addictions worse than loving the feel a single speed and being addicted to riding, I think most on here are......as steveob said, embrace it....
    Klunk on............

mtbr member

HELP! I'm addicted to Singlespeed!

Definitely addicted.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    addicted, and happy

Just Ride
    That's how I got started. Dropped granny and the big ring for a 1x8 set up. Converted that to SS for a few months. Switched it back to 1x8. Now I own a dedicated SS rig and the old 1x8 is now collecting dust. While i save up to upgrade/change/lighten every single piece on the SS! Dunno about replacing the frame yet. I'll see when it's absolutely the only thing left that's stock!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Re: HELP! I'm addicted to Singlespeed!

If you were running a 32 X 18 then we would know you were addicted.

mtbr member
    Just wait until the need for a post-ride beer kicks in too!
    Ride, beer, ride, beer, ride + beer......

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by tnrider View Post
    If you were running a 32 X 18 then we would know you were addicted.
    I guess I need an intervention...

2009 F29 Lefty - 33/20
    2008 F29 Rigid - 32/18
    1996 26er KV500 - 33/17

Love me some good IPA as well............
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Re: HELP! I'm addicted to Singlespeed!

Quote Originally Posted by irideiam View Post
    I guess I need an intervention...

2009 F29 Lefty - 33/20
    2008 F29 Rigid - 32/18
    1996 26er KV500 - 33/17

Love me some good IPA as well............
    Sounds like you have it bad..

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I continue to think of many ways to cure and feed my addiction, I recently searched the web looking for an older steel frame just to quench my addiction and build an old school SS. Its awful almost thought about selling my road bike to get the fix hahaha!
    Quote Originally Posted by onegearaddict View Post
    Just hoping to find some support or maybe even an SS sponsor to help me get through this tough time.

Like many people who get addicted to single speed, my addiction came on strong and without warning. The whole time I really thought I had it control, but of course nothing could be further from the truth.

At first I started experimenting with gateway gearing setups after work as a way to relax and unwind after a hard day at the office. Dropped the front derailleur and ran a 1X9 just to see how it felt.

I quickly realized things were out of control when I rebuilt an old Reynolds Steel Voodoo Bizango and set it up as with 32X20 gearing. Of course this wasn't strong enough to feed my growing addiction and I quickly moved up to a 36X18.

Now the problem is I can't stop riding this bike! I ride the local trails (Allegrippis, Blue Knob) farm roads by my house, I even pedal around my yard while my kids are jumping on the trampoline without any concern for how I may be effecting their lives with my reckless addiction.

My only hope is that someone, anyone, might be going through the same situation and can offer some advice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Just wait until the need for a post-ride beer kicks in too!
    Ride, beer, ride, beer, ride + beer......
    Like Pavlov's dog, but instead of a bell its a bike ride...oh so true...
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by onegearaddict View Post

I'm also addicted! I started in Jan this year and a majority of my rides are on my Carve SS. I'm totally addicted.
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Evo 29er
    2013 Specialized Carve SS
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/231584