mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Help..I need a rear ss wheel!

If you have one please e me at FSpence687@aol.com.
    I rode my ss for the first time today. It has a converted wheel on the back with spacers. It even has tensioners but..the wheel kept slipping just enough to pop the chain off. I must have put the chain on 15 times..couldn't get a good feel yet for this ss thing. If you have a ss rear wheel to sell please help!! Thanks

Penis Goat!
    First off, make sure your chainline is good. Also, did you use a BMX cog in the rear, instead of a cog from a cassette? That'll make a big difference.

One think you can try is using bolt-on skewers, I've found they work a little better. If that doesn't help, you could always switch out your axle for a solid one that bolts to the bike...either way, it's cheaper than getting a whole new wheel.

mtbr member

bolt on skewers? Where?

Where do I get bolt on skewers, or a replacement axel that bolts on?

meatier showers
    Bolt-on skewers from Nashbar

Or could you use chain tugs?

Or both?

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by Francine
    Where do I get bolt on skewers, or a replacement axel that bolts on?
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Penis Goat!
    Delta makes some decent ones that go for pretty cheap...I've also seen them in many LBS's, for the same price or cheaper than online.

Chaintug should work too...you run your skewer through them, then they tighten against the back of your dropouts, stopping the axle from moving forward. They also usually have bottle openers on them, too. Surly, Spot, On-One, and others make them.

If you're searching for something odd, try AEBike's website, they have the Quality Bike Parts catalogue you can search through and order from.

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30

Where's Toto?

Cool-blue Rhythm Gimme a tug...

If you're using a hub with a skewer, it is almost required that you use a chain tug. Because a SS bike only has one gear, you'll generally apply more torque when climbing and will cause the axle to move regardless of whether you're using bolt on skewers or otherwise. I would recommend the Surly chain tug. It comes with a little adapter that downsizes the axle hole to fit a skewer. I used one for a while on my Spot cross rig. Axle never moved. Also has a nifty bottle opener built in for post ride refreshments. Stainless steel so it won't rust - 'cause rust never sleeps.

Also critical to make sure you have chain aligned correctly. Should be a straight line from chainring to rear cog. You can check it with a metal straight edge. A non-ramped BMX cog works best for single applications. I had all kinds of chain drop toubles until I had the alignment right on.

One other thing not mentioned --- make sure you're running an 8-speed chain. Nine/ten speed chains are narrower and will cause lots of grief if used with a wider cassette cog.

Good luck---

Telford

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    I would recommend the Surly chain tug. It comes with a little adapter that downsizes the axle hole to fit a skewer.

Telford
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. I wish I could use one of those on either of my SS bikes...but the dropouts open in the front.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. I wish I could use one of those on either of my SS bikes...but the dropouts open in the front.
    Scroll down half way
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html
    ... which one closest resembles yours?

Mine's like this...

It's got a OK amount of adjustability for chain tension.
    I plan using a QR-safe chaintug like the Surly or at least get the QR adapter and use a cheapo chaintug, but I would have to grind off one of the eyelets that's on the curvy bit at the end, I'm quite sure a normal chaintug works on horiziontal dropouts. There's no rush for me as I'm a flyweight rider and I clamp my QR's till it hurts.

Penis Goat!
    Those are like mine. I haven't had too many problems with slipping, really, as long as I use the bolt on skewers when I'm offroad.