Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help with first SS Please

557 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  pacman 
#1 ·
I am a 26 year old female with 7 years of riding under my belt. I am ready to test the SS water. I want something inexpensive to start with. I really like this bike---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7209057559&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1 It is my favorite color and the frame size and stand over is right on. I emailed the seller and he said the reserve is $300. Is this a good price and how high should I go. I will be able to save on shipping because I can pick it up. Please give me some advice. My riding partners think I am crazy to even try a SS but I feel it is the next step for me. I just don't want to get this bike and have major issues and it totally kill my SS buzz.

#2 ·
The bike you are talking about is a singlespeed conversion of a geared bike. It certainly seems like a reasonable first ride, and at least if you dont like it you arent stuck with a singlespeed only bike, as it could probably be converted back to a geared bike quite easily. You could be in luck considering ' The seller lowered the reserve price'. Don't listen to your friends.

Stripped fork is a bit ugly, which would be my only concern. Extra points for world champion stripes. Free brake could be a bonus bit i think that price might be too high. (I'm not an american though so it might be ok :confused: )

#4 ·
first SS

My wife and I just got a couple of Schwinn Panthers. http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/bikes_detail.php?id=666 I wanted to get one of these back around 2000 when, but Schwinn dropped the bike. They came back with it for 2006, even a ladies model. For less than $500 it seems to be a pretty good bike. I know that you can't start to build one for that. Like your e-bay bike, the Panther can also be converted to multi-speed. Good luck with your purchase. Let us know what you end up with.

#5 ·
Nice bike. It is older but who cares it is different and steel. Should last forever. Good parts. It would be nice to have the front disc option but $620 is high. Maybe email him and come up with a deal. I would go $350-400 without disc and $450 with disc.

#6 ·
I too was in a similar situation recently (except a little older, more years riding under my belt and a different gender). After talking ad nauseum with other SS's, bike mechanics and shop people, I decided against buying used on Ebay and buying new. There are too many nice steel dedicated SS's out there at a reasonable price (IRO, Monocog, etc). Besides, I think the demand for a new SS is such that you'd have no problem selling if it didn't work out. But, like most new SS's, I think you'll find your FS will start collecting dust.

Also, I've found it difficult to get good deals on bikes on Ebay, and you just turn hundreds of SS's on to this auction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.