mtbr member
    May 2010

Help - which crankset to use with King Shimano bottom bracket

Hey folks-

Need some help choosing a crank for my new Jabberwocky. I decided I was going to build this thing up properly, and went with a new Chris King headset and bottom bracket. I bought the bottom bracket for use with the Shimano-style cranks. I've done a fair bit of research, but am still a little confused as to exactly which cranks will work.

Any advice on which brand I should get, or at least what I should look for in their descriptions?

In case it matters, I'm looking for 175mm, 32T cranks.

FWIW, here is the link to the BB that I bought - Chris King Mountain Bottom Bracket - Shimano from Hucknroll.com.

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    John,

You should be looking for a "shimano" compatible crankset...basically any thru spindle crank that utilizes a 24mm od.

As a generic statement, the SRAM/Truvativ stuff requires a different spec for the bearing interface and will not work.

cheers,

rody
    As requested by the MTBR gods, I am the voice of Groovy Cycleworks, check it out... http://www.groovycycleworks.com

openwound
    These shimano lx cranks should work a charm...
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Cool - thanks for the suggestion.

I should be able to remove the small ring, and put a bashguard in place of the largest ring, right? Sorry for the simple questions... just want to be sure I buy the right stuff. Does this hold true for any multi-speed crankset?

openwound
    Quote Originally Posted by John.M View Post
    Cool - thanks for the suggestion.

I should be able to remove the small ring, and put a bashguard in place of the largest ring, right? Sorry for the simple questions... just want to be sure I buy the right stuff. Does this hold true for any multi-speed crankset?
    Take a look at the ss faq (it's not easy to find on the page, but it's up in the right corner). Answers to many questions live there.

As for removing rings on "any" multi-speed crank, mostly yes but there is some variation. For an example, some cranks use a spider-less design (some new sram) where you can actually remove the spider (the arms that hold the rings) and then install a single ring on some splines. And then there are old, really cheap cranks where the rings are sorta riveted together. But most shimano cranks, such as those LX, are the way you've described (except for some xtr's).
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    I run an XT crank M760 with my Chris King Bottom bracket - I sanded them down all nice and shiny so that they match my silve king bottom

SS Pusher Man
    Shimano, Raceface, FSA.

Any of these should fit fine without any problems.

If you want to run SRAM/Truvativ you shoul be able to get the shim to run on the non-drive side.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Shimano, Raceface, FSA.

Any of these should fit fine without any problems.

If you want to run SRAM/Truvativ you shoul be able to get the shim to run on the non-drive side.
    The build is going to be black and red (real original, I know...), so I'm leaning towards this one: Race Face Evolve Single Speed Cranks 32T at Price Point. Looks like a good deal, and is what I'm looking for (175mm, 32T). From what you tell me, this should work with the Chris King Shimano-style bottom bracket that I have already bought, right?

Thanks again for all of the advice. Can't wait to build this bike!!!!

openwound
    If you can manage a file, you could always get some M960's off of fleabay...

They're nice cranks and will also work with your new bb.
    -- let's ride