mtbr member
    May 2007

Help converting Mamasita to Singlespeed

Well, I have been reading posts on this subject all morning and I am more confused than ever!
    I had my local shop convert my Mamasita to a singlespeed and got to do my first ride last night and absolutely love it!! You feel so connected to the trail!
    However there is a fly in the ointment! My shop put the little Surly Singleator and I was getting chain slippage when I would really start hammering. My gearing is currently 32 X 19 but could possibly go down to a 18. I was able to clear all the hills on my local trail with no problem, but would like to have been able to stand up and hammer on it!
    So... I call my bike mechanic when I got finished to find out what I can do and he basically said my only option is to get a new Singlespeed Only frame with the EBB and that all tensioners are going to slip. Is this true?
    Well.... I really do not want to go down that road, because everything is already color coordinated to the Mamasita and plus, I do not want to go down that road unless absolutely necessary... But I do want to be able to HAMMER with worrying if it is going to slip or not.
    From reading, I see a lot of solutions, but do not know what is going to be the most effective and cost the least...

Are there any magic gear combos that do not require a tensioner on the Mamasita?

Would the YESS ETR-B tensioner be a good option?

Or building a new wheelset with the ENO hub?

And would these so-called half-link chains solve anything?

Anything else that I am missing?

BTW, who makes the best singlespeed chain?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by shutterbug67; 08-02-2009 at 11:15 AM.

mtbr member
    first try the singulator in the "push up" position, try removing a full link and if its too short add a half link. Surly ships the tensioner with both springs, so if your LBS didn't give you the other spring go back and have them do it right.

On my first conversion I used the Surly in the "push down" configuration and it skipped on short steep climbs,I run a 9spd chain so half links weren't available that I knew of (2001).

I played around and found out that 34x17 on my 26er worked out perfect with out a tensioner.

There is a "magic Gear" calculator on the interwebs somewhere

The Eno is a good solid fix but the disc adapter expensive and can be a PITA to set up right

I use a similar set up to the Yess but it is made by a European company called Roox
    and that works for all other gear combos that I run.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    you should also look into the forward components EBB for normal frames
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris

How do you use this chart? I put in my info, but do not know how to use the info.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    i think that the gear ratios that are in the center blue are you magic gear

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Do you guys know if there are any magic gear combinations that would allow me not have to run a tensioner?
    Also, I hear different posts where there are different kinds of chains / links. How and would this help me?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    have you tried a half link?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What exactly is a half link and how does it work?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    a half link is half the size of a regular link , it takes up chain slack so your chain wont be as long.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...32+Chains.aspx

There are also some cool half link chains:

http://www.danscomp.com/464051.php

be sure to match the chain up with your drive train

Got Twins?
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug67
    Do you guys know if there are any magic gear combinations that would allow me not have to run a tensioner?
    Also, I hear different posts where there are different kinds of chains / links. How and would this help me?
    One thread on the 29er board and one here on this board (sorry, don't have time to hunt for it) came up with a 32x21 gear combo. I haven't tried it, give it a shot. YMMV.

I like the Roox tensioner. I've got a Paul Melvin that I'll try on my cross/commuter bike this winter after the cross series.

The cleanest way to run this frame, IMO, is to use a White Eccentric ENO Disc hub that way you can run any gear combo while keeping the look of the frame clean. I ran this on a previous cross bike and was perfect. I'd go this way again, but running the tensioner for cross season is easier so I can swap wheels much easier. White makes some pretty stuff!
    http://www.whiteind.com/rearhubs/singlespeedhubs.html

Hth,
    L8
    Let us Ride!