mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Help/advice for White Industries freewheel removal

I recently had MikeSee build me up a sweet new wheelset using WI hubs on which I'm running WI freewheels. I've changed the freewheel twice within the last month and had an extremely difficult time removing the freewheel each time. I have the WI freewheel removal tool, a chain whip, and a large wrench, but have needed to put into service a 4' pipe (I call it the Persuader), to put over the wrench to generate enough leverage to loosen the freewheel. Anyone else experience difficulty removing the WI freewheels? The "Persuader" doesn't fit so neatly in my bike tool box...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I usually throw the removal tool into a vice and then use the torque of turning the wheel to loosen the cog, its never failed me. Put a axle nut on the outside of the tool to make sure it stays tight to the freewheel, but as soon as it breaks free, take the nut off otherwise you will cause some damage. And you dont need a chain whip to take a freewheel off

EDIT: Oh, you are trying to do this at the trail head it seems like, judging by talking about your tool box.
    -Mount a vice to your hitch/bumper.

Low Rep Count
    I feel you man! Since I don't normally do this outside of my garage and I don't have a vice myself, I normally use my 24" Snap-On torque wrench (car tool). I use an old quick release skewer and take the two little springs off. I put the quick release side on the non drive side, and tighten it on tight enough to hold the tool in place. I then place a large socket over the tool, plug the torque wrench on and press down. No chain whip needed for this.

They are quite hard to get off simply because of all the force you put on it while riding. Ever time you stand up to pedal you are in essence tightening it on there and I guarantee your legs are stronger than your arms!

As noted, remember to loosen or remove the skewer as soon as you get the freewheel to break loose.

mtbr member
    Explained very nicely on Ernesto from Wisconsin's website

metrotuned WoS
    What Mr.SBC said. Your bike shop will have a VICE. Throw the tool in there upside down. Then throw your wheel on that tool, turn it like a big school bus - all the leverage you need. Also, be sure to grease the threads of any bike part, this helps when you have to break it loose.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the replies. Very helpful and appreciated!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That's why the next single speed wheelset I build will have a cassette style hub.

On the other hand, my White Industries freewheel keeps going, and going, and I have never had any reason to remove it since it was installed several years ago.

Dive Bomber
    I use nail and hammer. Put the nail on the hole and hammer it counter-clock wise for remove.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I use nail and hammer. Put the nail on the hole and hammer it counter-clock wise for remove.
    That is to service it. And you should use a spanner so you dont damage your $100 freewheel

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Please be sure to generously apply anti-seize to the threads when installing/reinstalling a freewheel. It makes removal much easier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Mine won't come off with the vice method, even with two guys turning it. I use a pipe through for extra torque also. It does help to use either a qr or a nut to hole the wrench in place. These hang on tighter than normal freewheels.

I have used a yakima crossbar in pinch for stuck auto bolts.