Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    22

    Upset HEEELP! search for threadless stem adapter 21.1 to 1 1/8

    hey guys. i've posted this on the vintage/retro forum, but figures maybe i'd get some feedback with the SS crowd as well. i am building a SS beach cruiser (Schwinn Cruiser 5)and i'd like to keep the threaded rigid fork that it has and would like to use a threadless stem. i bought an adapter, but the problem is, it doesn't fit! the adapter i have is a quill type 22.2 to 1 1/8, and it turns out, the fork only accepts a 21.1. unfortunately, i can't seem to find it thru LBS's. or online. maybe someone has an idea where i can purchase such an adapter? i was also told of sanding the 22.2 to size, but i guess i'll wait and use that as a last resort (or maybe move on to a 1" suspension forks, instead, we'll see). if anything, i can even use a 21.1 to 1 inch and just use a shim to fit the 1 1/8 stem on it. open to possibilities. your response is greatly appreciated. thanks.

  2. #2
    paintbucket
    Reputation: wooglin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,825
    You can't find those. Or I couldn't. What I wound up doing was having one of the standard sized ones machined down on a lathe.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

  3. #3
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,267

    grind

    yep, same boat on my '61 Schwinn cruiser. I ended up getting one of these (on sale!) and having a shop guy grind it down until it fit in the steerer. Another reason I chose it was for the removeable face plate, so I don't have to slide the bars through an old clamp-style stem. So far, so good. I've also used the 1" to 1 1/8" adapters with good luck too, but like you said it takes a 22.2 steerer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    22

    Cool-blue Rhythm that's a nice cruiser

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    yep, same boat on my '61 Schwinn cruiser. I ended up getting one of these (on sale!) and having a shop guy grind it down until it fit in the steerer. Another reason I chose it was for the removeable face plate, so I don't have to slide the bars through an old clamp-style stem. So far, so good. I've also used the 1" to 1 1/8" adapters with good luck too, but like you said it takes a 22.2 steerer.

    hey, hollywood, nice bike. is that a BMX handlebar? do you take it in the trails and how's she ride? i haven't ridden mine in the trails yet, but should i expect something much different from the cruiser compared to my trailbikes?

    i manage to find a LBS which ordered a 21.1 extension, which he then cut and filed down to the size i needed. i had to use to shims to fit the 1 1/8 stem, and so far, it seems to be holding tight, though, on road rides. i've decided to ebay for 1" suspension forks and should be arriving next week. i'll be taking my bike in to have rear brake mounts put in + suspension forks + V-brakes, it should soon be ready to hit the trails, hopefully by next weekend. i can't wait to try it.

  5. #5
    To legit to quit
    Reputation: dansjustchillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    yep, same boat on my '61 Schwinn cruiser. I ended up getting one of these (on sale!) and having a shop guy grind it down until it fit in the steerer. Another reason I chose it was for the removeable face plate, so I don't have to slide the bars through an old clamp-style stem. So far, so good. I've also used the 1" to 1 1/8" adapters with good luck too, but like you said it takes a 22.2 steerer.
    that's wicked cool i need to build something like that.
    MySpace.com/DansJustChillin
    MySpace.com/DirtyBobbysBikes

  6. #6
    ----woof----
    Reputation: 1FG rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    196

    Idea! I had the same problem.

    I gave up trying to adapt a threadless stem with the stock fork. Originally bought the threadless stem adapter at Performance and found out the quill was too large to fit inside the stock fork, so I spent $45 on a chromoly fork with the brake bosses already welded on, bolted on the adapter and so far it's worked great!

    Only problem I've noticed with the bike is the low BB height. I'm running 175mm cranks and am getting a lot more pedal strikes. Handles great though down hill with the long wheelbase and slack angles (69 degrees I think).

    This might turn out to be my primary ride now!!

    Almost forgot, I've already had issues with the stock seatpost. Metal is way too soft! I'm going to keep bending these unless I can find another option.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1FG rider; 07-01-2005 at 10:40 PM. Reason: forgot seatpost thingy

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    22

    Idea! exactly how i want my rear brakes mounted...

    Quote Originally Posted by 1FG rider
    I gave up trying to adapt a threadless stem with the stock fork. Originally bought the threadless stem adapter at Performance and found out the quill was too large to fit inside the stock fork, so I spent $45 on a chromoly fork with the brake bosses already welded on, bolted on the adapter and so far it's worked great!

    Only problem I've noticed with the bike is the low BB height. I'm running 175mm cranks and am getting a lot more pedal strikes. Handles great though down hill with the long wheelbase and slack angles (69 degrees I think).

    This might turn out to be my primary ride now!!

    Almost forgot, I've already had issues with the stock seatpost. Metal is way too soft! I'm going to keep bending these unless I can find another option.

    dude, that's exactly how i want to mount my rear brakes. i'm bringing in my frame to the welder tomorrow to have the mounts put on. how do you find the braking with the brakes mounted that low to the ground (dirt? mud? other issues?)

    i have 175mm cranks as well, but thought about going to 170mm due to low bb height. any thoughts?

    i don't know where to find seatpost that will fit in that seattube. it appears to be a 22.2, same size as the fork adapter i got.

    meanwhile, i'll ride the bike to the trail after i get it back from the welder, plus a front basket for extra flair .

    have fun!

  8. #8
    ----woof----
    Reputation: 1FG rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    196

    No issues so far..

    Quote Originally Posted by SS Gladiator
    dude, that's exactly how i want to mount my rear brakes. i'm bringing in my frame to the welder tomorrow to have the mounts put on. how do you find the braking with the brakes mounted that low to the ground (dirt? mud? other issues?)

    i have 175mm cranks as well, but thought about going to 170mm due to low bb height. any thoughts?

    i don't know where to find seatpost that will fit in that seattube. it appears to be a 22.2, same size as the fork adapter i got.

    meanwhile, i'll ride the bike to the trail after i get it back from the welder, plus a front basket for extra flair .

    have fun!

    I don't have to worry too much about mud and debris here is Southern California. Braking is on par with other bikes I've had V-brakes on. Only problem is tire width. Pretty much maxed out at 2.1's. I also had the kickstand cutoff and a plate welded in to reinforce the area just behind the BB.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Similar Threads

  1. Homer Jersey - UPDATE (Design, Sizing & Ordering)
    By CrashTheDOG in forum Turner
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 08-10-2006, 03:00 AM
  2. Replies: 294
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 05:52 AM
  3. Mountain Bike Gear Ratio Calculator V4.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 11:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •