Thread: Headset help

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Headset help

Hello all,

I am a new single speeder as of this Spring. Actually, I just started riding this year. I picked up a trek rig this spring. I am getting some slop up front and I think I need a new headset. I have a fox 29r fork, series 32 I think. I have no clue what to order. Can I get a little help?

Thanks,
    TJ

mtbr member
    I think you need to adjust and tighten your headset before you jump into replacing it.

Bro Mountainbiker
    loosen the 2 bolts on your stem, tighten the one bolt on your top cap until there is no play. Grab the front brake and rock the bike back and forth to feel for play.

Once you adjust preload (Tighten top cap bolt), retighten your 2 stem bolts.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

If you don't have tools, just take it back to your shop to have them fix it. Pretty easy to do, though.

Threadless Headset Adjustment - YouTube

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have done the above mentioned procedure a couple of times. If I torque it down anymore, the headset will act like a steering damper! I think the bearings are shot as the fork rocks back and forth with all my efforts to tighten, Suggestions on a brand?

Also, I am building some wheels this winter as my stockers have been abused and mistreated. I have settled on the hope pro 2 ss rear and front hubs. I think I am going with the stans flow 29r rims. This may be a silly questions but do i build a 36 spoke or 32 spoke wheels? I am not building them just buying.

I am 6'3 200lbs 35 inseam, no downhill, just xc and trial racing and riding.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMwoodsrider View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have done the above mentioned procedure a couple of times. If I torque it down anymore, the headset will act like a steering damper! I think the bearings are shot as the fork rocks back and forth with all my efforts to tighten, Suggestions on a brand?

Also, I am building some wheels this winter as my stockers have been abused and mistreated. I have settled on the hope pro 2 ss rear and front hubs. I think I am going with the stans flow 29r rims. This may be a silly questions but do i build a 36 spoke or 32 spoke wheels? I am not building them just buying.

I am 6'3 200lbs 35 inseam, no downhill, just xc and trial racing and riding.

Thanks
    I would get a King headset.

And 32 spokes on the wheels.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    I would have a trained eye look at your fork and your headset/frame to see why it has that wiggle in it before you just replace the headset. I don't think I have ever seen a headset just get loose over time like that, unless perhaps the bike was 30 years old and ridden to death. perhaps you need a new headset, but I would want to know why first, because it sounds like your frame could be cracked, your fork CSU assembly damaged, or your bushings inside your fork are worn out. or (not to insult your intelligence), your headset is not adjusted properly for a lack of spacers or something.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Cane creek 40 is a pretty solid budget option.

And you will be fine on 32 hole flows. I ride mine really freaking hard and have only had to true them a few times in a couple years.

Try to say that with arches or crests!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the responses! I took apart my headset today. A couple spots in the cages are worn allowing the bearings to move around quit far. What are cages doing in the headset, I would think it should have sealed bearings. The fork is 11/8 upper and lower, Fox 32 RL. However, the cups I think are pressed in as I see no way to extract them otherwise. Do I purchase a 1 1/8 headset and the cups will fit or do I have to knock out the old cups and measure the head tube openings, It measures close to 1.5 with cups in.

Thanks

mtbr member
    The Trek Rig uses a semi-integrated or otherwise known as a Zero Stack. It has pressed in cups like a standard headset, but the cups press internally into the head tube. You will need a cup remover and a headset press just like removing and installing a standard headset.

Here is a smoking deal on a cartridge bearing Zero-Stack headset
    Cane Creek ZS-3 Zero Stack Headset at Price Point
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the responses! I took apart my headset today. A couple spots in the cages are worn allowing the bearings to move around quit far. What are cages doing in the headset, I would think it should have sealed bearings. The fork is 11/8 upper and lower, Fox 32 RL. However, the cups I think are pressed in as I see no way to extract them otherwise. Do I purchase a 1 1/8 headset and the cups will fit or do I have to knock out the old cups and measure the head tube openings, It measures close to 1.5 with cups in.

Thanks
    You're being given some good info by others. However, I'd pay a visit to the LBS and have them take a look at your headset and fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I wrench on all my motorcycle and rebuild all my own race bike motors. I don't think a local bike shop is needed for this application. But thanks for your support!

[QUOTEThe Trek Rig uses a semi-integrated or otherwise known as a Zero Stack. It has pressed in cups like a standard headset, but the cups press internally into the head tube. You will need a cup remover and a headset press just like removing and installing a standard headset.][/QUOTE]

The cups are already out! If your crafty, you can do so much with so little. The head tube size is a 41.1mm ID going to an 1 1/8 straight fork tube. This is why I love these sites. There is so many people that have the great knowledge!! Thank you BW! I appreciate the link to right where I need to go!

Thanks the help again!

mtbr member
    I wrench on all my motorcycle and rebuild all my own race bike motors. I don't think a local bike shop is needed for this application. But thanks for your support!

[QUOTEThe Trek Rig uses a semi-integrated or otherwise known as a Zero Stack. It has pressed in cups like a standard headset, but the cups press internally into the head tube. You will need a cup remover and a headset press just like removing and installing a standard headset.]
    The cups are already out! If your crafty, you can do so much with so little. The head tube size is a 41.1mm ID going to an 1 1/8 straight fork tube. This is why I love these sites. There is so many people that have the great knowledge!! Thank you BW! I appreciate the link to right where I need to go!

Thanks the help again![/QUOTE]

A long bolt, some washers, and a nut will press the new cups in
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    If you put them in the freezer over night, they slip in like butter! The cane headset is ordered and on its way. That was a great deal! Thanks. Your crafty too I see with your washer threaded rod trick!

one chain loop
    Are you! really that excited! over old tricks!
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.