Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Headset

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Headset

What's the hot headset for a 29er Single Speed these days? Besides Chris King.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cane Creek 110. Is this the Karl I rode with on Wooden Wheels?
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    the 110 has proven to be a P.O.S... If you're looking for a mid-high range headset, check out crank-bros offerings. I've been pleased with the one I am running on my stumpy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Grove
    the 110 has proven to be a P.O.S... If you're looking for a mid-high range headset, check out crank-bros offerings. I've been pleased with the one I am running on my stumpy.
    If you decide to check out the Crank Brothers Directset, keep in mind that it has a really low stack height. On some 29er's, the fork barely clears the downtube, so going with a low stack-height headset might be an issue. But I guess it's only an issue if you crash or the bike falls over. Also, you might have more clearance if you're running a rigid fork.

Hadn't heard any negatives about the Cane Creek 110. I'd love to hear the details of any bad experiences since I was thinking about buying one...

mtbr member
    the 110 has proven to be a P.O.S...
    Whos proven it? I've only heard good things. And honestly there hasen't been a peep out of my cane creek S-3 which is about half the price as the 110
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    I wrench at my LBS and I've installed/watched quite a few being installed and ridden for a bit by the locals, etc. After about 3 months or use, we saw TWO that came back with seized bearings.

Now, that being said, I will retract my previous statement, partially...

-over-tightening
    -fluke headsets
    -absolutely horrible riding conditions/bike maintaining on owners part

any of the above could've caused those issues (and possibly more as well). So at that, what I have personally seen has turned me away from cane creek headsets. Especially because there are other products out there that are easily available to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Cane Creek 110. I've had nothing but good luck with my Cane Creeks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amishscum
    If you decide to check out the Crank Brothers Directset, keep in mind that it has a really low stack height. On some 29er's, the fork barely clears the downtube, so going with a low stack-height headset might be an issue. But I guess it's only an issue if you crash or the bike falls over. Also, you might have more clearance if you're running a rigid fork.

Hadn't heard any negatives about the Cane Creek 110. I'd love to hear the details of any bad experiences since I was thinking about buying one...
    Crank Brothers offers a thicker/taller crown race to help with clearance issues
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sorry to hijack your thread but what exactly does a headset do and why would someone need to upgrade it? Is there a link someone can provide? Im a newb, sorry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

thanks

I'm building up a new frame, so I need a headset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    CC 110. 9 mos of ABUSE and pristine.
    I've heard some bad things about the Crank Bros.....not trolling/flamin - just what I've seen pics of on some other threads around here.

A number of people swear that buying more than a CC S-3 is a waste of $$$$......

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Wooden Wheels

Sorry, but Wooden Wheels trail doesn't ring a bell. Where is it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I understand that, and to add my uneducated .02, i think that the chris king looks badass.

I just dont know what a headset is even for or what it does. Guess i need to do some searching, sorry i got lazy.

mtbr member
    I've got Cane Creek S-2, S-3 and S-8 on my bikes and they're subject to a fair bit of mud and washing most of the year. I never have any problems with them, so I don't see the need to lay out for more expensive stuff - the C-C's just do the job.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by karlf
    Besides Chris King.
    Chris King.

Why Eff around with anything else?

You know, for kids
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    Chris King.

Why Eff around with anything else?

Because while CKs are good, the CC110 are mo' bettah
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

You know, for kids
    Quote Originally Posted by The Diesel
    I understand that, and to add my uneducated .02, i think that the chris king looks badass.

I just dont know what a headset is even for or what it does. Guess i need to do some searching, sorry i got lazy.

Basically, the headset is the interface between frame and fork. Ball bearings are used to support and suspend the fork in a fixed vertical position while allowing rotation side to side for steering purposes. There are different designs from loose ball bearing to sealed cartridge bearing. For offroad use, sealed cartridge bearings are better because dirt has a much harder time making it into where the ball bearings are kept, meaning they last a helluva lot longer.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    Because while CKs are good, the CC110 are mo' bettah
    Meh - this quote made me chuckle...
    "The Cane Creek 110 embodies the sum total of our experience designing and manufacturing high-performance headsets."

So - instead of a piece of poo, you get the sum total of all the poo they've manufactured.

And offering a 110 year warranty is just silly.

You know, for kids
    Do a search. Almost every other headset manufacturer out there pays Cane Creek for use of their patents. Chris King refuses to, which has resulted in damaged steer tubes for many people. Chris Kings are great for most people, but the CC110 is now the best in my opinion.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    Chris King refuses to, which has resulted in damaged steer tubes for many people.
    Maybe I'm stupid at the internets, but I have found no evidence to back up this statement.

You know, for kids
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    Maybe I'm stupid at the internets, but I have found no evidence to back up this statement.

Must not have looked very hard for results

Chris King Headset Problems
    Chris King or Cane Creek?
    Chris King vs Cane Creek?

There's even a picture of a steer tube damaged by a CK headset in there.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Sorry but Chris King's are ugly. Hate the gawdy white letters.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    everyone knows that it was CANE CREEK that came up with 1 1/8 threadless headsets. and i will add that the headset is prob one of the last parts of your bike that should cause problems. the chris king and all other headsets over 100$ are a solution to a problem that has never existed in XC. if you are a bike snob and need the most bling get the CK. the market has obviously won you over and you enjoy looking at your bike more than riding.

I ride the CC S-3, and it has never given me any problems, unlike Chris Kings that I've had.
    S-3 is the only headset I'll run. everything else is overpriced, and NO ONE can notice the slight difference in preformance. (assuming installation is correct on both)

-my two cents
    ps i suck

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just installed a Woodman on my bike. yea I had never heard of them either but priced good, sealed bearings and so far with just a few rides no issues at all. They also come in pretty anodized colors like the Chris King.

You know, for kids
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel
    NO ONE can notice the slight difference in preformance

Exactly. Everyone could be perfectly happy with a CC S-3. I can't tell a difference between that and a CK or CC110. The CK and 110 weigh less than the S-3 and have better bearings, but as far as actually feeling the difference...well, I doubt anyone on this forum could tell which one is which if they were blindfolded.

FWIW, I run a Hope (I believe it's made by Cane Creek) on one bike, a FSA Pig DH Pro on another, and a Aheadset C4 on yet another. I can't tell a difference in feel between them. However, I can feel a definite difference between most loose ball sets and sealed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast