mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Have mercy, beginner needs advice on Rockhopper Expert vs GT Peace 9r, other?

Hi guys and gals,

I own an old GT Talera which was ok but I regretted buying it after because it didn't shift smoothly and was terrible on any off road terrain. Admittedly I bought it for 90% road use and 10% off road.

Well, I'm looking for a bike for maybe 70% road and 30% off road (nothing crazy). I can't afford two bikes and I like having a more heads up riding style which a mountain bike affords. Also, speed isn't my biggest concern but longevity, comfort and low maintenance are important to me.

Ok, I know I need to go to my local bike stores for some ride testing but I would like to gather as much research before I go.

So far the two bikes that I'm considering are:

GT Peace 9r
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 29 Single-Speed

Oops, forgot to mention I'm looking for:

Single Speed (of course)
    29" tires
    Disc brakes

But, on front shocks I'm uncertain how important they will be for me.

Ok, this is where I need the community's help. I plan to only buy a bike locally in my area of Orange County, CA too. It seems that most local bike stores only carry Giant and Specialized.

TIA

locked - time out
    I just ordered a 19" Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 29 Single-Speed from my local bike shop. It seemed like it had everything I wanted for $940.

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    i am new 2 the mtb scene, i been riding an outcast 9er, single speed. i am absolutely hooked on the big wheels, and the simplicity of one gear. its a great work out, and very quiet on the trails. anyway, my only beef is i wish i went with a steel frame, such as the peace. the gt was the 1st bike i test road, i knew i loved it, but i was looking 2 get in 2 the mtb scene cheap cheap . the outcast was 399 on bikesdirect, and im happy with it. its funny, the wife dont understand that i call the peace "upgrading" when its the same thing, but she dont know its a gt, steel frame, better parts, etc. anybody out there doing what im thinking of doing?

V-Shaped Rut
    Wives often don't understand the difference between bikes that are 'the same'. Just as you don't know the difference between cheap and expensive eyeliner or foundation. Tell her its a honda accord instead of a hyundai.

Wait till you get the upgrade bug and want to spend 2-3k on a bike.

mtbr member
    A front shock is NOT a necessity, just an option. I love my GT SS with the ridged fork. Remember a full rigid bike has suspension - YOU!

808+909 = Party Good Time
    I love my Peace 9r. Can't beat it for price and build. The fork is very springy especially for the price. Great bike.