Retro Grouch

Has This Ever Happen To You?

While this happened to me hiking, a Goggle search showed it's also common in biking. It seems if you have shoes that are too small, a too long toe nail, or fail to lace your shoes tight enough, you can develop a blister under your toenail. In my case I think it was a combination between 2 and 3. Anyway my left big toe was hurting; I mean really hurting. When I checked the nail was gray and it felt like nail was coming off (I've lost a number of toenails as a result of getting them smashed). I also noticed a lot of pressure under the nail. Now I've heard if you have such a problem, it can be relieved by heating up a pin and pushing it through the nail. In my case, the pressure extended beyond the nail so I was able to pierce blister without going through the nail (although my macabre curiosity has me wondering just how painful that would have been). Check it out on You Tube Warning, DEFCON 2 gross rating

I have been draining the blister several times a day and am wondering how long it will take to heal. Anyone? Anyone?
    Last edited by aka brad; 08-01-2009 at 07:52 PM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Why F'k around, just go ahead and cut the toe off.

mtbr member
    I know that heating a pin and pushing it through the nail works well for the smashed finger , blood under the nail kinda thing .

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    +1 on going through the nail.

I've drilled through a nail with the smallest drillbit I had, and also spent a slightly longer time slowly working through the nail with an Xacto knife. They both worked well. With the Xacto knife, once I made it through the nail, I kept clearing the clot so the pressure under the nail would be continue to be relieved, and I definitely knew it when that blade touched the nail bed, super sensitive. That said, it was certainly worth it, I felt no pain prior to that (and I went through the nail, then cleared the clot at least 10 times) and the relief in pressure is amazing. I recommend it.