mtbr member

Has anyone tried using old biopace chainrings........

Has anyone tried using old biopace chainrings on their SS? If not, how well do you think those would work?

meatier showers

Somebody did............

It's been a while since I read the post but I remember it because the poster said the bio rings will work even without a tensioner. I guess the oblong shape of the ring "averages out" so chainlength isn't affected throughout the rotation of the crank.

As for how they actually feel... well, let's just say that I never was a big biopace fan. When they were all the rage, I rotated mine back one or two chainring bolt holes so the dead spot was closer to mid-stroke rather than at the top of the stroke (where I wanted more pedal resistance, not less).

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by grawbass
    Has anyone tried using old biopace chainrings on their SS? If not, how well do you think those would work?
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Where's Toto?
    I made a wind chime out of mine. They sound real nice. No flat spots. No chain tension problems either.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    yes biopace chainrings work fine, and actually, in the usual rpm range of singlespeeding, they work just as originally intended, in flatening out deadspots in the pedal stroke for smoother power delivery. The shape isn't an issue since the spacing on the teeth meets the industry standard for chainrings, so distance between links and thus the tension never changes, it just looks strange as the ring goes around.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Biopace

I had a set on a geared bike. I can't say I noticed any difference except that the front derailleur worked better.

I saw a site recently where there is someone making eccentric/oval rings. He claims Shimano got the postioning of the flat spot wrong. His reasoning sounded logical to me, but I have not put it to the test. Sorry, I didn't bookmark it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by datako
    I saw a site recently where there is someone making eccentric/oval rings..
    bobby julich actually rode those rings in the TDF. can't remember the company either (german?)

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

me

Quote Originally Posted by grawbass
    I currently have biopace on both my SS MTBs. I hated them on mountain bikes back in the day, and disliked them on the road -- although I set a course record on an extremely hilly eastern century using biopace in '83, and the record still stands I am told, so go figure...
    On the SSs, Biopace works great for slow-rpm slogging up steep climbs. I think it's like having a round ring 2t smaller, so the 38t steel rings, both first generation very unround, I use climb like normal 36t gearing would.
    Still don't like it for fast spinning.
    I also have a mobile in the living room with probably 20 or so biopace and imitators -- SR, Sugino, even a Durham elliptical, which locates the high spots pretty much opposite biopace -- as another poster mentioned here.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    I made a wind chime out of mine. They sound real nice. No flat spots. No chain tension problems either.
    I will have try that one. I made them into chineese throwing stars er i mean chineese throwing biopase chain rings.

Let me ask my wife

Yep

Have them on my fixie road bike. They work well when your cadence is below 90 or so. Anything above that and the advantages go away. If I recall Sheldon Brown has some info on his site about this.
    WTB: Syncros 31.8 seatpost
    Syncros threadless 1"x120 or 130mm stem
    Syncros cranks 180mm preferred

rejected
    I have a biopace rings on a fixie roadbike, my ss mtb, and my ss urban/trials.
    I only run them because they were free. They work, so I like 'em. No tension problems.