Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Hardrock sport disc to SS

I know ill probably get alot of answers like use the SEARCH button and so on but anyway here goes. I got a 2011 hardrock sport disc back in july. Ive been riding it at least 2-3 times a week at the local trails. I find around here i am almost always in the middle ring in the front and either the 3rd or 4th from the top in the rear. I never usually use the other gears. Also i have the big ring off and a bashguard on. My question is im thinking of converting to SS if possible. My main questions are can anyone reccomend to me all the stuff i will need to buy to do so?? I know there are SS conversion kits, and i read about chain tensioners and so on, but all this SS stuff is new to me,So looking for some major help.
    I also thought about just adding a second bike, and was looking at buying a 2011 Gary fisher marlin SS. Depending how much it will cost me to go SS on the hardrock it might be a good choice seeing that its only 549 at my local lbs. But id really like to just get your opinion on if its possible to just switch my hardrock and what all i need to do. Thanks

openwound
    Yes, it's possible. Read the think up in the upper right corner...

Name:  read this.PNG
Views: 555
Size:  5.5 KB

Seriously, it's got all the info you need.

Property Inspections
    I SSed my '10 Rockhopper cop disc 29er. Here's what I bought and I love it.

Gusset 18T single speed conversion kit $22
    RaceFace single ring 34T chainwheel $30
    Problem Solvers Double Chainring Bolt Set of 5(only need 4) $13

and that's all so $65 total, same chain just removed links and the Rockhopper has adj. dropouts, if you don't then add a tensioner...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thanks man thats what i was looking to know!! i appreciate it

Property Inspections
    If it helps I got it all from bikebling.com (they are down the street from me)

and if your a 26" I would recommend using the 16T that comes in the kit rather than the 18T, and with a 34T chainwheel.

IMO this would be great for any situation/ride

Apr 2007
    2 bikes > 1 bike. Browse the classifieds here and CL. You can pick up a used Monocog, GT Peace, etc. for cheap. You could even pick up the 29er versions and have one of each wheel size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thanks new light, you happen to have any pics of your rockhopper, id love to see it

Property Inspections
    I'll take one and post it tomorrow.

Property Inspections
    nevermind
    Last edited by New Light; 10-26-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Property Inspections
    Got It
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hardrock sport disc to SS-dscn4133.jpg  

Hardrock sport disc to SS-dscn4138.jpg  

Hardrock sport disc to SS-dscn4139.jpg  

Hardrock sport disc to SS-dscn4143.jpg  

Apr 2007
    Is that saddle attached directly to the seat tube?

Property Inspections
    No but it's all the way down...I had to cut it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Looks good I did the same to mine and don't regret it a bit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Looks great!

Property Inspections
    thanks guys
    Escondido, CA

mtbr member
    If you ride with your seat that low, you're either on the wrong size bike or you need some help with fitting. Trust me, you'll feel much better when everything is where it should be.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

Property Inspections
    Thanks but I don't sit and pedal...I'm 6'5" and thats a 21....I actually wanna get a 19"
    Escondido, CA

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by New Light
    Thanks but I don't sit and pedal...I'm 6'5" and thats a 21....I actually wanna get a 19"
    why dont you sit and pedal? it's quite a bit faster in most cases.

Property Inspections
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    why dont you sit and pedal? it's quite a bit faster in most cases.
    I beg to differ. I find it slower...unless you are going at a 'pace'. Look at DHers, they dont sit it the smoother sections...bmx riders dont sit

Also if u have gears it's a little different. Standing while pedaling with the granny gear and large cog doesnt really work....
    Escondido, CA

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by New Light
    I beg to differ. I find it slower...unless you are going at a 'pace'. Look at DHers, they dont sit it the smoother sections...bmx riders dont sit

Also if u have gears it's a little different. Standing while pedaling with the granny gear and large cog doesnt really work....
    sitting is more efficient providing you can move the pedals. BMX and DHers dont sit because their seats are lowered so they can jump and decend. If you're trail riding with an xc bike, a low seat makes no sense.
    Ride what you want, but you wont win many races in the xc world without sitting at some point.

Property Inspections
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    sitting is more efficient providing you can move the pedals. BMX and DHers dont sit because their seats are lowered so they can jump and decend. If you're trail riding with an xc bike, a low seat makes no sense.
    Ride what you want, but you wont win many races in the xc world without sitting at some point.
    I don't xc...even tho thats what the bike was made for
    Escondido, CA

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am going to most likely just use my middle ring and bbg bashguard i have now for the front. I already have the big ring removed, just need to remove the crank to remove the small ring.
    Then im going to order the conversion kit and a tensioner bc my dropouts are not adjustable

Property Inspections
    Quote Originally Posted by 06OutlanderAWD
    I am going to most likely just use my middle ring and bbg bashguard i have now for the front. I already have the big ring removed, just need to remove the crank to remove the small ring.
    Then im going to order the conversion kit and a tensioner bc my dropouts are not adjustable
    U need a SS specific chainwheel. These are made for the chain to NOT come off unlike what you already have. You don't want to be mashing then the chain slips and you faceplant.
    Escondido, CA

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    really?? i didnt think it was necessary...i thought i saw ppl on here using just there middle ring...
    I was going to try this first, and if i have problems then order a SS specific chainring

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 06OutlanderAWD
    really?? i didnt think it was necessary...i thought i saw ppl on here using just there middle ring...
    I was going to try this first, and if i have problems then order a SS specific chainring
    The stock ring should work fine, I wouldn't bother replacing it until it wears out.

Edit: That is assuming you've got good tension and chainline.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast