Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Handlebar Width

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Handlebar Width

Hey guys ,
    I'm just finishing my build on my new singlespeed and fear I have ordered the wrong width handlebar for my ride. I ordered a 580mm ritchey flat bar.. is anyone using this bar? or have any recommendations?
    Thanks for your help.
    Cospie

mtbr member
    Way too short my tastes, esp on a singlespeed. Some people may like it though

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Mine are roughly 23 inches...pretty standard for a flatbar. Yours being 22.8 inches, thats normal. Grip setup is a little bit wider than my shoulders, I find mine to be perfect. But its all preference, some people like wider riser bars.
    8 is great

Mtn Biker Machinist

I like em wide and swept

I prefer 660 mm+ bars with 15 deg of sweep or more!

Salsa moto ace flat bar

Misfit cycles fu, fu2 etc

On one Mary, fleegle

Titec H and J bars

Jones H bars

lots of options.

To each their own, but I can't ride narrow flat bars, they bother my wrists and feel really unnatural.

I like the ability to really rock the bike when I ride ss and I have to grind up the hills. Every ride I do here in UT is up then down, so climbing requires lots of torque and body english!

Everyone has different tastes, so my opinion+$.05 is still only worth $.05

frog

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My bars are 736 mm or 29 inches wide. They are the moustache bars by black sheep. I have really broad shoulders and I am 6 2 so they are not as ridiculous as they sound.

IMO they really help on steep climbs, I live in colorado and the SS is my only bike so i need all the help i can get.

Some people will tell you that wide bars are overkill and narrow flat bars are the only way to go.
    If i were you i would buy some craigs list el super cheapo dh bars (wide) and a flat bar and give them both a try and see what you think.

I have seen super fast guys on both so it all boils down to personal preference.
    It's great to see a thread like this and no one has chimed in yet and say that one way is wrong and their way is the only way.
    A pleasant change!!!

mtbr member

SS bar photos?

anyone got any photos of any of these super-wide, super-thick, super-swept or super-weird bars? i have the same decision to make: getting a bar for my first 29 SS....

preferably as set up on a bike....

preferably a close-up from above...

thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Single speed handlebar set-ups

Its a current one at that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just purchased a set of Fleegles. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to cut them down but the question is how much. Those of you who are rocking alt bars can you share your shoulder width and bar length? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ACC
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you want to go the wide riser route -- which I highly recommend -- you can get Azonic world force riser bars from jensonusa for $21 plus shipping. These bars rock. They have a 5 year warranty, you can cut them down a bit if you prefer (with easy markings on the bars), and the sweep and rise feel good to me. Stock length is 28".

local trails rider
    Not super weird but pretty tough:
    I put a Truvativ Holzefeller low rise DH bar on my SS trailbike. Originally 71 cm and just under 300 g. Now cut down to about 66 cm

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It depends on your trails. I have 660mm wide H-bar and I should have 600mm because it's too wide to fit through a lot of the trees easily. More finese is required, which requires slowing down.

Off the back...
    I have the Misfit FU2 bar, and I'm still getting used to it. It has a fair bit of sweep, which means it is kind of narrow on climbs. An extra 100mm of width would be nice for out-of-the-saddle, grunt-so-hard-you-might-shart climbing. That said, on the flats and descents it feels amazing, and I'm able to really cruise. I might switch to a flat bar and some barends for more leverage...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone throw some barends on some Fleegles?

Ovaries on the Outside
    FU2s are what I like best out of the alt bars I've ridden. Wouldn't mind trying out a really wide bar one day, so I'm saving up for that blacksheep mustache bar.

mtbr member
    On-One fleegle bars, 716,7mm wide:

Had Mary bars before, but like this one better, because it's wider and lower.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Here are my FSA Gravity. 777 mm something like 30" I think the widest non-custom flat bar out there but I might be wrong.

mtbr member
    I like 580 flats and with hooks on the ends that's plenty wide for me. Long risers shrink the top tube too much for my tastes.

is buachail foighneach me
    that espresso shot bell is awesome kevin!

SS or Die
    Kev,

Is that an Independent computer on your bike? Nice ride by the way, Ive been riding an Indy Fab myself for the best part of 4 years and love it!

I prefer wider bars on all my bikes as they seem to offer greater control on descents and rocky trails. I ride SS with Groovy Luv Handles, 710mm or 28" wide. Prior to that I had Ritchey WCS carbon bars and they were only 630mm and did the job fine, I just prefer the 21.5deg sweep offered by Rody's Luv's and they look cool IMO.

Bar width and rise is a personal thing and I never advise others what they should use, I did try a narrow 580mm flat bar years ago and crashed more times than I can remember in that one ride. They were short lived and Ive used a small riser bar with 660mm average width ever since.

One thing that restricts the use of my Luv's is tight single track with loads of small trees lurking in the nasty spots, they unfortunately get caught up on stuff a little more than my 660's
    "Be the Gear..."

Not smart enough to shift
    I run 28" wide Syncros bulk carbon bars on my SS 29er. I would not run any narrower of a bar, the leverage you can get with the wide bars is fantastic for single speeding.

Cheers,
    Andy

rep
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I was just riding a borrowed bike with narrow bars. I really noticed the lack of power (couldn't use upper body) and the sketchy steering. On the other hand, the fixy people in Seattle seemed to like them, I suppose to get through narrow spaces.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Kev,

Is that an Independent computer on your bike?
    yeah you can get it from their site http://ifbikes.com

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by rep
    I was just riding a borrowed bike with narrow bars. I really noticed the lack of power (couldn't use upper body) and the sketchy steering. On the other hand, the fixy people in Seattle seemed to like them, I suppose to get through narrow spaces.
    it's a poor attempt at messenger fashion. having handelbars narrower than the outside of your pedals or your hips is just plain stupid and will not help you get through anything in any way shape or form.

SS or Die
    Quote Originally Posted by kev0153
    yeah you can get it from their site http://ifbikes.com

Kool, I'll check em' out
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What gets you more leverage? Wide bars with sweep or medium bars with barends?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast