mtbr member

Handlebar question(s)

I have a Paradox (w/ a Fox 120 Talas) that I recently SS'd which I love. Going to be building a new Waltworks HT 1 X 10 this winter (which I have no parts for yet). I'm trying to figure out what to do with parts and such; thus my arrival here, where people know more than me.

Current controls on the Paradox are a ChroMag Ranger stem with ENVE DH bars cut at 29." It was initally 1 X 10 but since I've SS'd it, the thought has crossed my mind several times that perhaps chromoly bars would be better for strength/durability. I'm not sure why I've thought this, but I have. Strange because the whole reason for buying the ENVE DH bars in the first place was due to strength.

I've been looking at the Thomson BMX stem and Blackmarket Moly Hatchet bars (22.2 clamp). If I take the Ranger/ENVE combo off the Parardox, they'd go on to the new bike. If I keep the Ranger/ENVE on the Pardox, I'll buy something new for the new bike.

What I want is the handlebar that best for SS'ing on aggressive terrain (i.e. strength/durability/responsive handling). I also have some decent climbs so I'll be pulling hard on the bars (which is what got me thinking chromoly in the first place). Regarding 'agressive terrain;' I'm really considering taking it to Moab next year (that is if I trust the puny Fox 32 again

Cliff notes:
    Black Market Moly Hatchet bars or ENVE DH bars for agressive SS riding?

Thankee sai

Steve
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I run aluminum only these days. The 2012 or 2011 Easton Haven bars are $60 here and there on clearance. I bought magnesium color for Turner 5 spot, and black for singlespeed. I wish I bought magnesium color for both, as the black are very low key. I run full width, but I do graze trees now

Winning
    Jul 2013
    I've been told by engineers, bike builders, track racers, and experienced mountain bikers, that carbon has equal strength and stiffness potential without the fatigue associated with aluminum.
    Aluminum is more prone to stress cracks, weld failure, and bending, right?
    I have an FSA K-Force Light Low Riser Carbon Bar, and I love it.
    I used to ride an Easton Monkey XC-Lite for cross and it was great.
    I'd be curious to hear if anyone has experienced carbon failure in the past few years, and how/why...

mtbr member
    I had the same impression of carbon. Boeing using it significantly in the 787 lends credence to both ultimate strength and fatigue strength claims. Watching Santa Cruz test a carbon and aluminum Nomad to destruction also adds to the claim. Additionally, I guess I'm trying to figure out if BMX uses chromoly because it's stronger/more durable or if it's because BMX'ers will crash the bike more and chromoly will show the damage whereas carbon may not. That is Thomson's claim as to why their DH bar is aluminum and not carbon.

I want to be able to really crank on the bars climbing hills with no worries about fatigue related failure on a downhill 2 years later. MBA's article on planned replacement of parts on a bike was not useful either...
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm running Thompson stem, and Thompson carbon bars. Works great for me on my SS, and my 1x10.