Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009

Idea! Handlebar length....

I had just recently replaced my Carbon Handlebar 660mm to a Carbon 720mm.
    I understand that longer bars have better control when descending. But does it help when you are off the saddle climbing (which is 85% of the time) or will a smaller bar be better for climbing?

Let's discuss...

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i have yet to find a downside to a longer bar, other than maybe fitting between trees and weight. it definitely helps with climbing.

mtbr member

+1

Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    i have yet to find a downside to a longer bar, other than maybe fitting between trees and weight. it definitely helps with climbing.
    I run 700mm wide, can't imagine climbing without them.

PSYCHOLUST
    I'm with ISAR and badgermtb W I D E is the way to go and climbing is definately aided by the wider bar.........

.......... I'll admit I've "nipped" my pinkies on some tree bark but it is a small price to pay for the REAL benifit

mtbr member
    i'm at 685mm on a rigid SS 29er- which I guess is "medium width" these days (27"). looking back at my previous bikes and one had a 22" wide bar (but it was a geared 26er HT). sometimes i grab the bar closer to the stem (hipster style) for kicks and giggles.

as above, the only downside of a wider bar (recently converted to gloveless, not that they would have helped much):

Ovaries on the Outside
    The widest I've gone is 27". Anything smaller feels really odd. I'd love to go wider, but I'm a man who loves sweep in his bar while being a man that doesn't have a ton of extra scratch. I love my FU2 in any case.

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    That is why i wear these....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Not wide enough for you?

Syncros had some 1000mm bars at interbike

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb...bon-29er-fork/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G.
    That is why i wear these....
    What type of gloves are those?

Low Rep Count
    ^^^ I would like to know myself since I need a new pair of gloves!

I am still old school and ride with a 24" wide bar. I do have bar ends though and that makes a huge difference when climbing.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain
    What type of gloves are those?
    +2 I'd like to know myself! My last bars were 690mm and my next setup will be with a drastically shorter stem than I'm use to with 710mm bars.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    That's it in a nutshell.....

I'm running 28" wide (tip-to-tip) flats with 5* up-sweep and 9* back-sweep.....

Love 'em....

http://www.kore-usa.com/products/han...race_flat.html

Low Rep Count
    So far I have found these:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ber+Glove.aspx
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...der+Glove.aspx
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...on+Gloves.aspx
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=50367 (I think I like these the best out of what I found)

None of them appear to really be like the ones pictured above.

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    Here you go!

http://www.google.com/products?q=Fox...ves&hl=en&aq=f

That white Kore Handlebars are SUUUUWWEEEEEETTT!!!

Low Rep Count
    Thanks man! I just clicked on the cheapest ones and read the one and only review for them. Doesn't sound that good actually. What are your opinions of them so far?

You can read the review here.
    http://mikesbikes.com/product/09-fox...m?Affiliate=31

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    I have 2 pairs of this gloves (black & white) so far their good. I've nicked my pinky finger several times and the carbon fiber knuckles definitely helped out and prevented such predicament like in the picture above. But for singlespeeding.... they are okay. I don't use them much because i mostly do long rides 30+ miles and i pull on those handlebars with plenty of force and thus giving my hands some really nasty blisters especially on the palm part of my hand where i tend to put plenty of pressure. With that said.... i typically try to wear something with gelpads on the gloves such as
    this they prevent blisters and pretty comfortable. But that can change depending on the ride. but for the most part of my SS riding i will wear this gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Thanks man! I just clicked on the cheapest ones and read the one and only review for them. Doesn't sound that good actually. What are your opinions of them so far?

You can read the review here.
    http://mikesbikes.com/product/09-fox...m?Affiliate=31

Low Rep Count
    Sorry for jacking the thread. I hear you on the comfort part of the quation. I noted that some of the gloves I listed don't have much of any palm padding. On a rigid SS this can be quite painful after a while.

I currently am running some Pearl gloves similar to what you listed (your Specialized gloves). the work great and are fairly cool. But the palm padding is split with a portion on both sides of the palm. After a recent over the bar exerience, I managed to put my hand down on a chunk of asphalt (long story-break between the street and entrance to the trail) and of course it hit me right between the two pads and bruised my palm. This happened almost 2 weeks ago now and my palm is still somewhat tender.

Thanks for all the links btw!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I hate palm padding. I have the same Fox Unabomber gloves. Strangely they're great on the road but crappy on my mountain bike. They bunch up and rub my hands. I don't know how you guys run such wide bars. We don't have any really serious climbs here, just use your momentum and go. I like 630mm bars. They fit between the trees with ease so it makes me faster overall. I tried some wide bars once. They gave me terrible wrist pain.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I hate palm padding. I have the same Fox Unabomber gloves. Strangely they're great on the road but crappy on my mountain bike. They bunch up and rub my hands. I don't know how you guys run such wide bars. We don't have any really serious climbs here, just use your momentum and go. I like 630mm bars. They fit between the trees with ease so it makes me faster overall. I tried some wide bars once. They gave me terrible wrist pain.
    The climbs down here stupid long. Like 12 miles steady without a hint of downhill for some. Some of the shorter ones (closer to 1-2 miles) can be very steep in spots, so any help i can get is welcomed with a care bear hug.

I dont get wrist pain, but i do notice that i think my hands would feel better with a hint of sweep. I tend to get a slight numbness in my hands on really long steep climbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I hear you on the palm padding. I always thought I needed padding until I bought a replacement set of padded gloves and felt really awkward grabbing the bars. I realized I had run my last pair for so long that the gel had mushed away to nothing and that they were much better of for it. Now I use my gloves to keep me firmly in control of the bike and let the other parts of the system take care of cushioning

As for wide bars and wrist pain, did you switch just the bars or did you shorten up the stem too? If nothing else changes, wider bars need a shorter stem to maintain proper fit.

Besides long climbs, I like the extra leverage on the short steeps where you momentum isn't enough or isn't possible. Also, I like to pretend my SS is an bigger AM bike and ride it as such. For that kind of riding 630mm and such doesn't even come close to cutting it imho

If I had such tight trails I might reconsider, but I've never seen anything close to that narrow out here

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    Socal has a TON of climbing for sure! Especially out in the Santa Anas.

San Diego has a few climbs like this climb this is the mountain that i will train for Vision Quest

6000ft ascent 26 miles

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G.
    Socal has a TON of climbing for sure! Especially out in the Santa Anas.

San Diego has a few climbs like this climb this is the mountain that i will train for Vision Quest

6000ft ascent 26 miles
    nate harrison grade on palomar is a good one too.