mtbr member
    Sep 2007

handle bar question

i am looking at getting a new set of bars. i am going to get the salsa pro moto bars. i have read the reviews, and the previous handle bar recommending thread. no i ask this i have a 2008 gt peace96 with the stock bars i think they are a 9 degree sweep riser. do i want to go with the 11 degree or 5 degree bar? i am going to run cane creek ergos as well. any and all opinions would be great thanks!

mtbr member
    Just depends on what feels comfortable to you. I tried running Titec Hellbent bars with an 11 degree sweep, but that was too much sweep for me without going to a much longer step to compensate. I ended up with the new 2009 Easton EA 70 bars with the 9 degree speed and 685mm length.

The Cane Creek Ergos rock! I currently run them on my SS as well.

mtbr member
    That would be "stem" not "step"! Sorry for the typo...

mtbr member
    This probably won't be the most helpful response, as I believe bar sweep and rise are pretty much a preference thing and depend a lot on your riding style. That being said, I have a Salsa Pro Moto low rise xc bar and I like it. The 11 degree sweep feels good without being too radical. I haven't tried any of the really swept back bars like the mary or Jones/titec bar, so I have no opinion there, but I must say I like my Salsa bars better than the ones on my other bikes. For the record those bikes have an Easton Monkey lite and some kind of Race Face, both probably around 5 degrees of sweep.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

meatier showers
    I like the 5 degree sweep but I think I'm in the minority. It's just a matter of personal preference, no scientific advantage to one or the other.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas