mtbr member
    Jul 2012

GXP bottom bracket and eno/white industries hub(with freewheel)??

Hey guys,

I have a question for anybody out there riding with the GXP bottom bracket and the White industries rear hub and freewheel. It says on ENO's website that it uses a 47.5mm chainline. I believe GXP is 50mm. I have a surly 1x1 that uses a 73mm bottom bracket, which means I would use both spacers. There is alot of conflicting information that says if this is okay or not to switch BOTH spacers over to the non drive side.

Any Input?

-R

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Edit: I just realized I said spacers for 73MM use. I know that they are not used in the 73mm shells.

So I guess my real question is if you can run a 2.5mm spacer on the NDS will there will be enough spindle for it to "grab" onto?

-R

The need for singlespeed
    If you use a 2.5mm spacer on the NDS, the spindle won't be long enough and you will torque your spider against the DS of the BB shell.

Try running it as is--if you get chain drop then consider slapping that 2.5mm spacer on the hub before you install the FW. Will it engage enough thread?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by EDDAKA View Post
    Edit: I just realized I said spacers for 73MM use. I know that they are not used in the 73mm shells.

So I guess my real question is if you can run a 2.5mm spacer on the NDS will there will be enough spindle for it to "grab" onto?

-R
    As long as the crank and ring clears the frame and does not bottom out on the DS bearing cup, there is no problem using spacers on the non-driveside.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just read a thread or two like this and it had me worried:

forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/truvativ-gxp-spacer-question-705534

(can't post links. add .HTML to the end of the link)

If that does happen to throw the GXP system out the window, does anyone know if it's even possible for a 47.5MM chainline on a external type bottom bracket with a 73mm shell?

I just read a thread or two like this and it had me worried:

forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/truvativ-gxp-spacer-question-705534

(can't post links. add .HTML to the end of the link)

If that does happen to throw the GXP system out the window, does anyone know if it's even possible for a 47.5MM chainline on a external type bottom bracket with a 73mm shell?
    That is not the same thing.

Just try using the spacer on the NDS.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    you can adjust the chainline on a GXP BB by adding or removing spacers on the NDS.

it sounds crazy, I know, but read this thread carefully-http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/sram-gxp-73mm-bottom-bracket-h-question-828915.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around how this would work.

I do not have the ENO hub, nor the GXP bottom bracket in hand, so it's basically theoretical. All I'm trying to do is figure out how to get a 47.5mm chainline (ENO hub) with a modern external bearing bottom bracket (50mm +/-)

So in the GXP's case for a 68mm hub it requires two spacers to make the bottom bracket to 73mm specs. If you remove one spacer on the drive side of a 68mm shell it will of course move the crank inboard and you will have a a 47.5mm chainline.

However if you have a 73mm shell. It cannot move any more inboard. Adding a spacer to the NDS will only make the spindle shorter, right?

I was thinking of maybe using a shimano hollowtech II instead but doesn't it require a spacer on the drive side for proper function?

Thanks for the help so far guys, just trying to understand this.

-R
    Last edited by EDDAKA; 03-06-2013 at 03:45 AM.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around how this would work.

I do not have the ENO hub, nor the GXP bottom bracket in hand, so it's basically theoretical. All I'm trying to do is figure out how to get a 47.5mm chainline (ENO hub) with a modern external bearing bottom bracket (50mm +/-)

So in the GXP's case for a 68mm hub it requires two spacers to make the bottom bracket to 73mm specs. If you remove one spacer on the drive side of a 68mm shell it will of course move the crank inboard and you will have a a 47.5mm chainline.

However if you have a 73mm shell. It cannot move any more inboard. Adding a spacer to the NDS will only make the spindle shorter, right?

I was thinking of maybe using a shimano hollowtech II instead but doesn't it require a spacer on the drive side for proper function?

Thanks for the help so far guys, just trying to understand this.

-R
    No.

The Shimano BB/crank will not allow for a narrower chainline with a 73mm shell.

The SRAM GXP does. The crank spindle floats in drive side bearing. No spacers are required on the driveside no matter what the BB shell width. It is designed with room for one 2.5mm spacer or BB mounted chain guide.
    The spindle has a step on the non driveside and with the NDS crank arm clamps the NSD bearing to hold the crank in place. Because of this adding a 2.5mm spacer to the NDS moves the chainline inboard making it 47.5.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I learned that the "bling ring" by MRP has a 51mm chainline. How many spacers will the crank tolerate on the non drive side?

Sorry for all the questions.

-R

I learned that the "bling ring" by MRP has a 51mm chainline. How many spacers will the crank tolerate on the non drive side?

Sorry for all the questions.

-R
    Depends on the ring size and frame. Need to try it.

If the Bling Ring has a wider chainline than stock, I would look for a different ring.
    mtbtires.com

The need for singlespeed
    I'm running a spiderless ring and GXP road cranks on my mountain bike. It took a bit of work to get the crank centered so the crankarms don't contact the chainstays. I've got about 2mm of clearance on each side. To achieve this I milled the NDS BB face down to get the chainline out to 48mm to (nearly) match my hub's chainline. Added a few spacers to the DS to narrow the gap between the cup and the spider to reduce likelihood of bearing contamination.

You can do the opposite. Put the 2.5 mm spacer on the NDS. If the spider binds against the DS bearing before you torque it down to spec (and it's a massive torque spec!), then mill down the DS BB face until you achieve clearance.