Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    bmw
    bmw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    297

    Gut Check: Middleburn RS-7?

    I'm about to pull the trigger on a Middleburn RS-7 crankset and SKF 600 BB (ISIS), anything else I should consider first?

    My Race Face Evolve XC cranks have been warrantied twice and no amount of Loctite seems to keep the extractor cap in place; the cranks always start to wiggle after a few miles of riding so I am moving on.

    The Middleburn's look to be good quality and have a great warranty. I ride mostly XC but need equipment that is ready to take a 3 ft drop or launch off a kicker when the opportunity arises. Durability and stiffness are important; weight and price are not.

    Anything you guys think might suit me better than the Middleburns?

    Also, I am picking ISIS because I read it was stronger and more durable. True or BS?

    Bottom line: Team Dicky rides Middleburn/SKF. I live in Charlotte and need to support the locals. Do I even have a choice?

    From Simon Bar Sinister

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ne_dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    554
    White Industry square taper.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    189
    I have Middleburn RS7s with square taper shimano BB which has been totally trouble free in a year and a half of hard riding. I have heard that the SKF Isis BBs are probably the most durable of any Isis but I have no personal experience of them.

  4. #4
    Curmudgeon
    Reputation: jh4rt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    341
    I've always thought ISIS is junk. The bearings are smaller and friction interface isn't significantly larger. Get the Square Taper Middleburns. I love them.
    ...got chuck to join my Rock Racing SS team....

  5. #5
    Why did it happen to me
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    58

    I would research further.

    I know a few guys who have broke Middleburns both at the BB interface and at the pedal insertion point. If you are heavy and or aggressive I would seriously research them first. The guys that broke them were either larger (185-200lbs) or aggressive riders. There are stonger cranks out there. However, they look super sweet and add that certain tartiness to a bike. Glad it is not me having to decide. Have you seen what Jeff Jones does to the new style XTR cranks? if you search that on the forum you can see how nice they look. You could do that yourself with a pair of XT and end up with a strong, cool unusual chainset.. Good luck sanspeur.
    If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SSSasky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    618
    Well, if you break the Middleburns, even downhilling or in trials, the warranty still covers it. They have pretty well the best crank warranty on the market. But I would definitely reconsider the ISIS thing. Go square taper if you really want the RS7. If you don't want square taper, I'd look at some Shimano external bearing cranks. Tough, stiff, affordable.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,673
    What you heard about ISIS is true. SKF is the only ISIS BB that is durable. Square taper is nice and it works if properly setup. If you had a crank loosening problem you may not be the best mechanic, no offense. Just make sure you install everything properly and to spec. If you decide that square taper would be better for you go Phil Wood.
    I was trying to make the same decision as you, but instead I went with XTR M970 for the outboard bearings.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RSW42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,071
    Running Middleburn RS8 XC Uno on White Industries square taper BB...



    "Just set it and forget it"





    .
    .




    .

  9. #9
    bmw
    bmw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    What you heard about ISIS is true. SKF is the only ISIS BB that is durable. Square taper is nice and it works if properly setup. If you had a crank loosening problem you may not be the best mechanic, no offense. Just make sure you install everything properly and to spec. If you decide that square taper would be better for you go Phil Wood.
    I was trying to make the same decision as you, but instead I went with XTR M970 for the outboard bearings.
    None taken. I don't do any of my own wrenching, and the mechanic at my LBS is very good. The Race Faces are sold as an entry level XC crankset so I have no complaints that the design doesn't hold up to 190 lbs of hard riding. My wife has had the same crankset for 3 years without a single problem.

    Can you tell me more about your decision to go with the outboard bearings? Lighter, stronger, stiffer?

  10. #10
    bmw
    bmw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky
    Well, if you break the Middleburns, even downhilling or in trials, the warranty still covers it. They have pretty well the best crank warranty on the market. But I would definitely reconsider the ISIS thing. Go square taper if you really want the RS7. If you don't want square taper, I'd look at some Shimano external bearing cranks. Tough, stiff, affordable.
    Bingo! I love the RS-7 warranty:

    Quote Originally Posted by www.mtbtandems.com
    LIFETIME warranty against defects in materials or workmanship*, covers competitive DH, trials and jumping!
    The * is nothing important; they got you covered. Other warranties I have looked at are only good for a few years and tend to include exceptions if used outside of the original design intent. That is pretty vague so I assume jumping and such is not included.

    I don't mind spending $300 - $500 for cranks but I'd really like a company to stand behind them for more than a few years if they think they are worth that kind of money.

  11. #11
    bmw
    bmw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by sanspeur
    I know a few guys who have broke Middleburns both at the BB interface and at the pedal insertion point. If you are heavy and or aggressive I would seriously research them first. The guys that broke them were either larger (185-200lbs) or aggressive riders. There are stonger cranks out there. However, they look super sweet and add that certain tartiness to a bike. Glad it is not me having to decide. Have you seen what Jeff Jones does to the new style XTR cranks? if you search that on the forum you can see how nice they look. You could do that yourself with a pair of XT and end up with a strong, cool unusual chainset.. Good luck sanspeur.
    Any more info on the breaks? That is really the first negative thing I have heard about the Middleburns but maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

    I like the JJ style XTR but it looks like a ton of work and I assume voids the warranty.

  12. #12
    bmw
    bmw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    297

    ST vs ISIS

    I'm sure there's a billion threads on this topic but I find it interesting that everyone is suggesting to go with square taper or external over ISIS. I don't have enough experience on each design to have my own opinions so could someone point me to some good reading on the subject or elaborate on what the pit falls of ISIS are?

  13. #13
    bmw
    bmw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    297
    Nevermind! There is way more information on this board than I can digest. My head is spinning. I have no idea what to get.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,673
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw
    Can you tell me more about your decision to go with the outboard bearings? Lighter, stronger, stiffer?
    All three. I had outboard bearing Stylos before the XTRs and the XTRs are noticeably stiffer than an already stiff crankset. But it is not a reason to deter you from the Middleburns. I would bet that RS7's on an SKF would be just as stiff. The spindle sizes between outboard and ISIS are basically the same and those are good quality components. I'm also the same weight as you and I break **** but I really try not to.

  15. #15
    N+1
    Reputation: MichiganClydesdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    704

    get 'em

    get the middleburns. I run them on my tandem, my single speed, and my geared bike. Strength-2-weight is unmatched, in my opinion. The White Ind cranks are super stiff and a bit chunky, but a nice second option. Older XT stuff is nice too, the 752 series.

    the MB RS7 with UNO ring is sexy, light, strong and trouble free for me. I'm 225lbs too. Talk to Alex at Mtbtandems.com - the exchange rate on the Euro is great right now and the prices are outstanding on middleburn stuff.
    GET Bret Weir, I said.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •