I'm just messing with you

Gusset S-link half link

I've had no luck using normal 1/2 links, so when I saw the Gusset S-link half link I thought I'd give it a try.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=22297

The way it's already assembled and can be installed with just a couple of power links appealed to me.

At first I couldn't get it installed with new power links, but after I switched to some pre-used ones, it went together fine. So, apparently the 3/32nd version is a little thicker than a 9spd chain. I blame it on the nickel plating.

The photo below shows what it looks like installed. Hopefully it'll last as long as the chain. Does anyone have additional feedback on the S-link to share?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gusset S-link half link-img_5780.jpg  

Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

surly inbred
    Mine have held up nicely using two masterlinks as opposed to Powerlinks... nice to know it's an option. My first go around was the cheap individual half links which broke within hours of installation.

The Slink is money.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum
    Mine have held up nicely using two masterlinks as opposed to Powerlinks... nice to know it's an option. My first go around was the cheap individual half links which broke within hours of installation.

The Slink is money.
    +1. I use the 3/32" masterlinks that bad mechanic recommended with the slink. It's a great system.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    9 speed chains are not 3/32", which is why a 9 speed power link will not work with it. I also suggest bmx master links, i've broken a few power links, and i'll never use them again.

mtbr member
    It's what I always use (and recommend), with two normal 3/32" masterlinks.

I'm just messing with you
    Since the 9spd power links are working and can be disassembled, I'll go with what I've got until the next time I order parts I put 10+ miles on it yesterday with no noticeable problems.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    Since the 9spd power links are working and can be disassembled, I'll go with what I've got until the next time I order parts I put 10+ miles on it yesterday with no noticeable problems.
    FWIW... I refused to pay $8 shipping on a $3 part. As such, I have approximately 17.5432699 years worth of master links & slinks. If anyone wants a trial drop me a line... although you'll be obligated to perform some charitable act... like recommending beer; or respond to every "which ss should I buy" thread.

surly inbred
    FWIW... I refused to pay $8 shipping on a $3 part. As such, I have approximately 17.5432699 years worth of master links & slinks. If anyone wants a trial drop me a line... although you'll be obligated to perform some charitable act... like recommending beer; or respond to every "which ss should I buy" thread.
    Alrighty... Let's try again.

Yes, I would like to help a few blokes save a couple bucks. No, I don't wish to give them all away. A nice gesture might be to offer a couple of somethings to cover general graciousness.

Sorry, my size 9 leather does not taste well this morning.

ps. if ya just signed up to pm me for free sh|t. ...not happening

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I run a full chain of half links. A bit heavy, but looks pimp.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've recently put a KMC 3/8" Half link on my KMC 8sp chain.

It doesn't seem to run too well at all. Everytime it goes around the rear sprocket (when I'm pedaling, works fine in the stand) I get feedback at the pedals, and an audible clunk.

Has anyone else got experience with the the KMC half link? Would the Gusset slink be better, or should I try a complete half link chain?

Cheers.
    Lapierre XR29ei, Chris King LB Carbon, XTR 1 X 10
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by xcbarny
    I've recently put a KMC 3/8" Half link on my KMC 8sp chain.

It doesn't seem to run too well at all. Everytime it goes around the rear sprocket (when I'm pedaling, works fine in the stand) I get feedback at the pedals, and an audible clunk.

Has anyone else got experience with the the KMC half link? Would the Gusset slink be better, or should I try a complete half link chain?

Cheers.
    I've used both the KMC POS half link and the Gusset Slink -- the Slink is far better. I've heard half link only chains stretch a lot... and quickly... requiring frequent replacement. They sure look cool, tho.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

surly inbred
    .. Everytime it goes around the rear sprocket (when I'm pedaling, works fine in the stand) I get feedback at the pedals, and an audible clunk.
    Tight link at the new connection?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Tight link at the new connection?
    I've looked ito that, and I think its ok.

Noticably, the roller doesn't seem to be as wide as the other rollers on the chain, and seems to have more side to side play.
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

surly inbred
    Noticably, the roller doesn't seem to be as wide as the other rollers on the chain, and seems to have more side to side play.
    Yup, experienced the same. In my case I was in a rush & the kid at the lbs gave me what he thought was a 3/32"...I'm not so sure it was.

As Sparty mentioned... POS. Go Gusset.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    OK thanks

I've ordered a slink
    Planet X Dirty Harry
    Chiner 29er SS

Members who have read this thread: 2