mtbr member
    May 2008

GT Peace size compared to standard GT's?

After much searching I've finally decided to get myself a GT Peace 26" SS.

As I've previously posted I have trouble with sizes as I'm usually between M & L, plus there are few bike shops around my area that sell decent bikes, so I can't try them for size.

I assumed an L (20") would be the best bet so I tried a GT Avalanche for size in the local Halfords.
    Fitted like a glove.

Now I look at the geometry of the Peace frame and the dimensions are totally different to GT's other frames!
    The horizontal top tube length is about 40mm longer on the Peace, while the standover height is roughly the same.

Is there a good reason for these variations?

I can't find a Peace anywhere so there's little chance I'll get to ride before I buy.

btw, anyone know what sorted of travel suspension fork a Peace can take?
    I have an old Judy 100 sitting around that I might use sometime, if it's possible.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    I read a 2008 GT Peace 9r and it's a 29er but I found the sizing pretty consistent with everything else I've ridden. I haven't owned another GT but I have had a couple of other 18" bikes and the Medium Peace was 18" and it's a 29er and still fitted perfectly for me.

Not 100% sure about the 26er Peace but the 9r is 80mm suspension corrected so I would be assuming the 26er would be the same. I tried to google it but everyone mentions the 9r. If you email GT they usually get back to you within 24hrs if that helps.

I'm sure you've done the research but just wanted to say that the 9r is brilliant, but either way both Peace bikes are great bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbox
    Not 100% sure about the 26er Peace but the 9r is 80mm suspension corrected so I would be assuming the 26er would be the same. I tried to google it but everyone mentions the 9r. If you email GT they usually get back to you within 24hrs if that helps.
    Thanks for the reply.

Been searching a lot myself, but I've had the same results as you.
    Lots of talk of the 9r, not so much 26r.

Are SS frames usually longer than their geared counterparts?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    GT just got back to me with regards the forks.
    It's only corrected for a 80mm fork.
    Irritating when I've that Judy 100 going to waste at home

Would the extra 20mm ruin the handling completely?

Cheezy Rider
    From what I've seen on these forums, 20mm won't make a huge difference. I have an 80mm fork on a frame designed for 100, and it handles fine. the extra 20mm will make it handle slightly slower and make it feel a bit more stable. Since you already have the fork, I'd use it. Although you also have a great excuse to upgrade to something better!

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Yeah I'd use it too, many people on here do with very little change... you can always get a flat bar or invert an on-one mary style bar and to help drop the front end anyways.

I did a search but couldn't find that exact topic but I know there is one on here somewhere. Here is one from Bicycling.com, scroll down and read the user comments

http://forums.bicycling.com/eve/foru...7/m/1251086432

Hope it goes well.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Order a Large earlier this week so fingers crossed it'll be with me early next week

Emailed GT & they simply said it would slow the steering.
    Great at high speed, not so much on slow uphill switchbacks.

Wish the 2008 came with the same 16t cog as the 2007 Peace.
    I expect an 18t will be too slow for me judging by the way I ride my old Kona Jake the Snake.