banjo plunker, wrench

GT Peace 9R vs Haro Ally SS whtich one?

Hello folks...I've just gotten myself two great budget-build frames...a GT Peace 9R, and a Harol Ally SS. I've had an Ally SS before, and loved it for what it was...Cheap! I have never owned or ridden a Peace 9R. My question is what should I expect from the Peace 9R? I know that the Alloy is a great ride, but I don't llike the idea of tinkering with a "creaking" eccentric B.B. again (any solutions?). I am currently riding a converted Mary XC using a DMR tensioner and seems okay, but I'll probably replace the derailleur hanger with a stronger Wheels Mfg. I would like to hear your thoughts on this! Thanks, and pics are always appreciated!
    Last edited by swaneedawg; 01-27-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

mtbr member
    The peace is a great bike. Very reliable, strong, and steel! It's an all around great bike.
    I love mine!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sorry ignore my last post I just read your post again and noticed that you aren't interested in EBB.

banjo plunker, wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdaprotege4 View Post
    Sorry ignore my last post I just read your post again and noticed that you aren't interested in EBB.
    Did they change the tension system on the Peace 9r? I bought the Ally SS in aluminum, and have a Peace 9R coming as well in SS. I just want a non-problematic chain tension system on a budget. Nice-looking rig! Thanks!

mtbr member
    on the GT Peace, going on 4 years now. There is a place for a tension screw but no room on the fron side of the track end, but there's no room for a BMX type tensioner either. I just have good set of track nuts and tighten the crap out of them, rarely slip unless I didn't get them tight.

meatier showers

Quality = true economy

Quote Originally Posted by swaneedawg View Post
    ... but I'll probably replace the derailleur hanger with a stronger Wheels Mfg. I would like to hear your thoughts on this! ...
    I don't know which cheap frame is better, but a couple thoughts.

First, for the same money, one nicer SS frame beats 2 cheap ones, IMO.

Second, I looked "irony" up in the dictionary, here is the definition: "having to replace the derailleur hanger on your SS bike because it's not strong enough." x2

Best of luck.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Quote Originally Posted by swaneedawg View Post
    ...I don't llike the idea of tinkering with a "creaking" eccentric B.B. again (any solutions?).
    EBB's have a bad rep, and for good reason. Personally, it's my favorite chain tensioning system. I love the cleaner look (vanity, I know), ease of use, and the ability to "change" the BB height. However, I will say that the EBB's I use are on frames that are of high quality. I have not yet heard a peep from my Jones frame (Bushnell EBB) or my Niner (BioC I). I keep them clean and well-maintained, which is the key. I use a torque wrench to tighten per manuf. specs and all has been well.

Having said that, I would shy away from lower end frames using EBB, as the tolerances and quality control might not be up to par. In that scenario, good ol' track ends gets the nod from me.

banjo plunker, wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    EBB's have a bad rep, and for good reason. Personally, it's my favorite chain tensioning system. I love the cleaner look (vanity, I know), ease of use, and the ability to "change" the BB height. However, I will say that the EBB's I use are on frames that are of high quality. I have not yet heard a peep from my Jones frame (Bushnell EBB) or my Niner (BioC I). I keep them clean and well-maintained, which is the key. I use a torque wrench to tighten per manuf. specs and all has been well.

Having said that, I would shy away from lower end frames using EBB, as the tolerances and quality control might not be up to par. In that scenario, good ol' track ends gets the nod from me.
    Thanks stremf for your experienced advice on the EBB. I have looked at more at more expensive frames...seems like steel and various alloys get equal raves. If I could I would go for a Black Cat frame.those drop-outs seem like a great idea. Thanks again, and I'm sure that Jones frame rocks!

banjo plunker, wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I don't know which cheap frame is better, but a couple thoughts.

First, for the same money, one nicer SS frame beats 2 cheap ones, IMO.

Second, I looked "irony" up in the dictionary, here is the definition: "having to replace the derailleur hanger on your SS bike because it's not strong enough." x2

Best of luck.

--sParty
    The Haro Mary XC was my first 29er experience, then I had an Ally SS, I couldn't put money into another SS frame at the time, and I converted another Mary XC frame to SS using a DMR tensioner bolted on the replaceable hanger on the Mary XC...it has a really thin OEM hanger, and it bends easily from the torque of the chain. Wheels Mfg. hangers are usually thicker and beefier...so that is why I made that comment. If one of the cheap SS frames work, and to my liking...then I will take the Mary XC apart and just ride a true single-speed frame, and not a conversion!