mtbr member
    Sep 2007

gt peace 9r question

hello buddies?!
    i have a small dilemma my bike is making a weird noise maybe a creaking or a clicking noise when pushing on the pedals it does not do it all the time just sometimes. my buddies monocog just had a free hub issue and im scared mine might be letting go... any one else have this issue? are the bottom brackets junk do the bearings blow up!?

808+909 = Party Good Time
    It could be the EBB slipping. Some people have this problem. Make sure the EBB bolts are tightened to spec and if it still happens pull the EBB out, wrap it in plumbing tape and put it back. Squeaking will go.

If there is still a noise then you have a stuffed BB possible or something needs greasing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Try and get a solid idea of where exactly it's coming from.

I recently just took apart my bottom bracket, cleaned it out, greased it up, etc. I torqued it down but I kept hearing a creak noise I couldn't figure out. I was feeling lazy that day and something told me to tighten the pedal. I did, and the creak went away.

*shrug*

WWYD?
    Strange clicking sounds can come from an axle loose or not seated in the dropouts too.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    i really want a GT peace but after reading about the EBB problem ill have to think it over and lean toward getting a Monocog
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    i really want a GT peace but after reading about the EBB problem ill have to think it over and lean toward getting a Monocog
    1.5 years of riding... no EBB problem on mine.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbox
    1.5 years of riding... no EBB problem on mine.
    i guess a pro build wouldn't hurt.

i was thinking of putting it together myself

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    I'm sold on the slotted dropouts versus the EBB. (I've got three Redlines)

Get chuck to do it...

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    so today i went to performance bike to go check out there selection of GT peaces.
    All the have there is the GT peace NON 29er but...... it comes with horizontal dropouts .

ive seen a GT peace niner there but it was a customers. I am definitely going to get the GT peace now.

mtbr member
    GT did switch to horizontal dropouts for the Niner version as well starting with the 09 models

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    GT did switch to horizontal dropouts for the Niner version as well starting with the 09 models
    good bye monocog

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've got the 29'er version w/ sliding dropouts. No problems here after 5-is months.