mtbr member

GT Peace 9er SS chain tensioner question...

I got my son a Peace 9er and versus fiddling with the dropouts, I'd like to get a set of chain tensioners. I bought the bike used and have no idea what size the rear axle is... 3/8", 14mm?
    What do you use?
    Would these work on the GT? REDLINE BICYCLES CHAIN TENSIONERS

Ride, Sleep, Work
    Those should work.

The Peace 9er uses a 3/8 axle.
    Click to save 15% off your 1st Hammer nutrition order
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/50110

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Low Rep Count
    NO, these will not work! The rear drop outs on the GT Peace are hooded and there is not enough space on the top of the axle for the tensioner to fit.

I had a GT Peace and this was quite a PITA! The best you can do is to order some small screws and thread them into the tapped hole in the front of the drop out. They work similar to the Vassago Jabber nuts worked (actually the Jabber Nuts fit but Vassago has closed its doors and the parts are hard to get a hold of at this point). However, You can contact GT and find out what the thread size is or put a post out inquiring the size of the jabber nuts. Someone will know for sure (I just can't remember and I have a damn Vassago-sad I know). You can then order some stainless screws directly from McMaster Carr for a few bucks.

I never found any other option for a tensioner that would actually fit into the dropout of the Peace and the screws were the only thing that I found to work for me.

Low Rep Count
    Here is a picture of my old set up. If you look right at the axle you can see a small screw coming thru the drop out and pushing against the axle.

Hope this helps you out and isn't too late!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Peace 9er SS chain tensioner question...-rr.-brake.jpg  

Robtre
    I had a GT Peace and this was quite a PITA! The best you can do is to order some small screws and thread them into the tapped hole in the front of the drop out. They work similar to the Vassago Jabber nuts worked (actually the Jabber Nuts fit but Vassago has closed its doors and the parts are hard to get a hold of at this point). However, You can contact GT and find out what the thread size is or put a post out inquiring the size of the jabber nuts. Someone will know for sure (I just can't remember and I have a damn Vassago-sad I know). You can then order some stainless screws directly from McMaster Carr for a few bucks.

Jabbernuts are 6/32 machine screws sold at any hardware store for probably .25c. Not sure if the GT holes are the same size but VASSAGO JABBERWOCKY front tensioners take 6/32 machine screws and it works better than those damn Jabbernutz.
    The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline.

Low Rep Count
    I actually haven't had a problem with my Jabber Nuts though I have heard of others having issues. So far I have been pretty happy with them.

mtbr member
    So I take it the Surly Tuggnuts will not work either? I had a buddy talk me out of the Redlines (good thing) and was going to order the Tugs.
    Thanks for the info guys, you are saving me some $$. Question for you on the Jabbernuts style screws... how long are they?

Low Rep Count
    I think the ones I bought (non Jabber nuts) were about 1.5" long

mtbr member
    Gracias!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Here's what I did to my Peace 9R. Had to do some grinding to get them to fit. Installed on both sides. They've been grinded alittle more since these pictures.

Sinz - DRIVETRAIN, CHAIN TENSIONER
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Peace 9er SS chain tensioner question...-p1030448.jpg  

GT Peace 9er SS chain tensioner question...-p1030451.jpg  

GT Peace 9er SS chain tensioner question...-p1030452.jpg  

2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'd get the screws like 1SPD mentioned. Looks a lot cleaner and will be a lot cheaper. On my bike with track ends, I just use a rolled up towel between the rear wheel and the seat stay to set tension. But I'm a super cheap skate.