Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

GT Arrowhead to single speed

Hi

This is my first 'complete' project. I have a fixed wheel bike which I built using a prepared track frame and I love riding it, but you guys (and others) seem to have great fun on SS MTB's!

When this GT Arrowhead frame appeared on eBay I bought it. 99p is all I paid but as you can see, it was not in a good way. The bottom bracket had seized both in the shell as well as the bearings, I am guessing this may of been the reason for the previous owner dumping the frame (I bought it from a scrap dealer)

I am a computer programmer by trade and have never really got my hands dirty before. I love riding but want something unique as well as single speed. The triple triangle of the GT frame fits the bill nicely. My garage has space but limited tools. This should be an interesting project.

I know I am going to need advice and this forum looks like the best place to find it. Along the way I will be learning new stuff which I am more than willing to share with others

I've got the frame stripped, the gear lugs grounded off and am getting ready to remove the dings and scrapes (filing and filling!)

Please let me have your comments and suggestions

Thanks
    Misbehavious
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Simple advice: Add parts. Ride.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

Ovaries on the Outside
    What is up with the dropouts? You have all the parts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    orion_134: I like your ethos

umarth: I'm slowly getting the parts together, still lacking wheels, stem, saddle, chain, bb, chainset, seat post, seat post clamp, ahead headset

I got the dropout from http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/ who were amazingly helpful, especially considering I had no idea what the dropout looked like!

I've got some white primer and hopefully some fluorescent orange spray paint on its way with clear lacquer. Still got bits of the old paint on the frame, one more weekend should sort that out.

eXotic forks should arrive tomorrow. I've gone for rigid forks but may upgrade once I know the bike is going to work.

Progress is being made but need another payday, quickly!

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Umm...you got the dropouts? Those funny-angled dropouts aren't what came on the bike?
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Misbehavious
    eXotic forks should arrive tomorrow. I've gone for rigid forks but may upgrade once I know the bike is going to work.

Progress is being made but need another payday, quickly!
    Well, keep the SS forums posted on changes and updates.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks umarth, I will

orion_134: I think I am missing your point. Below are two images, One is a closeup of the dropout and the second the gear hanger. Should there be more?

Thanks in advance

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Ahh, now I can see that it has a removable dropout. All is well. Why all the filling? Rattlecan-and-go Is it aluminum?
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hi Jesse

I think you are right, Rattlecan-and-go will solve most issues. The frame is Aluminum 7005 and there are a few scraps on it. I will probably file those level and then spray primer to fill.

Glad we're ok on the dropouts. Just have to find cash and time to finish!

mtbr member
    it may be just me, but all the times i have gone to great lengths to paint a frame, i always end up wishing i had just left if and ridden it. it's going to get dirty and scraped up. consider that every hour you spend making your bike pretty is an hour you could have spent riding it and getting it dirty and dented and scratched.

what do you plan to do about chain tension?

Dive Bomber
    An unfamiliar drop out for me.

I am planning to remove the cable stays too as soon as I get my 3rd frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    mack_turtle: I'm with you there, thankfully I have a few bikes that can be ridden whilst this one is prepared and painted. The frame was in a very bad state as well as me wanting something unique. If I had built it up to start with I would probably of never stripped it down to paint!

jackspade: The dropout is weird. Matching it up was a nightmare for me, not for the company listed above though. I am hoping for a magic gear but just incase I bought a this chain tensioner of eBay for 11.00. It is unbranded but will hopefully do the job.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I got your cousin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Arrowhead to single speed-p2270022.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    hatake that is a very good looking bike. I have ordered straight bars but looking at how you have complemented the frame with yours I am not sure I have done the right thing. I'll wait to see what they look like. You also have disc brakes which won't feature in the first carnation (Low funds and little knowledge - will learn though!). Have you got anymore photos?

Paint arrived today, as did a fork steerer cutter. No sign of forks though.

Anyone else got photos of GT's that they have single speeded? I'm still looking for ideas and inspiration as hatake has done here

Thanks in advance

mtbr member

Look ay my Profile

[QUOTE=
    Anyone else got photos of GT's that they have single speeded? I'm still looking for ideas and inspiration as hatake has done here [/QUOTE]
    Hey check out my profile and under my pics there is a red GT Backwoods that I converted to single speed. I still have that bike though so if you have any questions or need a closer look at some thing let me know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    REDGT: Like it. Very much. You have gone for one strong colour with black trim. Definitely works, thank you.

It will be interesting to see if orange works as well as red

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Wait, should the bar type be determined by fit and not aesthetics?
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

mtbr member
    Thanks
    It works for me, plus thats the original paint. But I am curious on what yours will look like with flourescent orange.

The need for singlespeed
    Anyone else got photos of GT's that they have single speeded?
    Mine used to look like this:

Now the frame is 50g lighter and getting some nicer parts

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    orion_134: You are correct, it should be about the ride. I am hoping that the flat bars suit me and the bike but having seen hatake's setup I can't lose from an aesthetics point of view

zaskaranddriver: What new parts have you got planned? It looked good before? Have you got a paint scheme in mind or are you leaving it bare? Please keep posting pictures as you build

REDGT: Your bike must of really stood out in the shop, that red looks excellent. Please post your favourite or most current photo (of the GT!) on this thread

Keep your GT's coming

mtbr member
    Misbehavious
    I will take some new picture later on tonight. If you want a close up of any thing or want a parts list let me know.
    But this shot shows its most current set-up.

Last edited by REDGT; 10-14-2010 at 07:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    REDGT: I really like your bike!! Can I ask for a closeup of the drive chain (both cog ends). Also what size BB did you put in? is the wheel a cassette wheel converted or a ss wheel?

Thank you

The need for singlespeed
    zaskaranddriver: What new parts have you got planned? It looked good before? Have you got a paint scheme in mind or are you leaving it bare? Please keep posting pictures as you build
    Ditching the tensioner in favor of a Forward Components eccentric bottom bracket and will replace the LX cranks with modded M960s. The frame will stay raw.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Primered!

Hi

Frame has been primered over the weekend. Now ready for the fluorescent orange to be applied

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

legs!

Wheels have been ordered. Got some Halo SAS 26' Wheelset (Spin doctor hubs) of eBay. I hope they are as good as they look.

Only part missing is the saddle. Everything else is either on it's way or I have it

Just need to finish spraying it - sanding down tonight ready

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast