breathing helium

Groovy Luv Ti & Jones H-bar

I need some bars for a SS 29er. I have used Ti Jones H-bars in the past and really liked it. Problem is, they are pretty much unobtanium if you want to buy something new. I'm thinking of the Ti Groovy Luv Bar.

From what I read, the Luvs have a little less sweep, more rise, and are not as wide (though you can customize and make them wider).

Has anyone gone from H-bar to Luv Bar? If so, what did you think?

breathing helium
    ...went with the Jones bar. I know I like it, so I stayed with the sure thing.

metrotuned WoS
    The Jones will certainly hold its value much better than the Groovy Luv Bar.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

agu
    mtbr member
    that is, if Cocheese chooses to sell it

lone rider
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord
    The Jones will certainly hold its value much better than the Groovy Luv Bar.
    I am a bit curious why you feel this way. Rody makes good products and seems to have a strong demand for his Luv Handles.

Good choice on the Jones bars though.
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

metrotuned WoS
    amillion3: Rody is talented. I appreciate his blog, input on MTBR, and growing following of customers. His blog is also enjoyable. However, Jones is up in the museums and is globally known. He pioneered the XTR SS machined polished Boone crankset combo which is to date, the most gorgeous crankset ever produced by man. Plus I've met him at SSWC Napa and have followed his products like the Spaceframe and H/J bars - they sell for outrageous amounts even on the second hand market. That's why I "feel this way".
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

breathing helium
    I had no intention of this being a ____ vs. ____ kind of thing, hence the title is _____ & _____. I only chose to go with the Jones bar because I have owned one in the past and I know that I like it. One came available and I snagged it. I met Rody at a handmade bike show years ago. Great guy doing great things.

lone rider
    Thanks for the information, I certainly do appreciate it. I have seen Jones bars selling on here for large amounts of money, figured there must be a reason!
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

mtbr member
    He pioneered the XTR SS machined polished Boone crankset combo which is to date, the most gorgeous crankset ever produced by man.
    Where's the "laughing uncontrollably" emoticon when you need it?
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by amishscum
    Where's the "laughing uncontrollably" emoticon when you need it?
    haha i was kinda thinking the same thing. I mean it's a nice crankset and all... and i have one on one of my bikes, but "pioneered"? Come on, get off his nuts... he just gave that crank a circumcision.

metrotuned WoS

New question here. ISR x Shawnee still cant compare to Jones XTR Boone

He did. And at the time he did, the XTR crankset was the best, but the BCD was traditional proprietary just like the incoming 2011 XTR (here we go again!). ISR, you are no stranger to copying or circumcising ideas. Anyways, JJ had said that "now you can just throw on any chainring" thus he no longer produces the XTR/Boone setup. ISR and Shawnee can handle that task now (but still cant even equal the beauty of a JJ mod) - sorry, just sayin'.

Here is a stunning Shimano M970 XTR Single Speed crankset for illustration purposes. You bolt on any 104BCD chainring and you're off to the races.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    He did. And at the time he did, the XTR crankset was the best, but the BCD was traditional proprietary just like the incoming 2011 XTR (here we go again!). ISR, you are no stranger to copying or circumcising ideas. Anyways, JJ had said that "now you can just throw on any chainring" thus he no longer produces the XTR/Boone setup. ISR and Shawnee can handle that task now (but still cant even equal the beauty of a JJ mod) - sorry, just sayin'.

Here is a stunning Shimano M970 XTR Single Speed crankset for illustration purposes. You bolt on any 104BCD chainring and you're off to the races.

I dont do any xtr mods, and never have other than on my own crank, so get your facts straight.
    I also have no affiliation with Shawnee other than him buying my rings on occasion.
    And who did i copy? Sure, my tensioners have a bottle opener on them which has been done before, but as far as i know, i have a fairly unique design for all my parts.
    And with that said, i am not out to win a beauty contest, and i dont sacrifice the part's integrity for the sake of art. It's a bike, a tool for cycling, not a fashion statement, so i could really care less if someone's stuff is more beautiful than mine. I design my stuff for people who actually ride, and not for posing on the internet.

And dont get me wrong, i have met Jeff Jones and i think he does awesome work. His frames give me wood, just like everyone else. I even spoke with him about the xtr's 2 weeks ago.
    I was simply just giggling about the fact that you're so brand loyal in all your posts, and everyone else's stuff just gets some backhanded compliment. It's funny sometimes, like in this case with the "pioneered" comment. You sounded like my buddy's Ibis Tranny review

mtbr member

JJ was not the first or last to mod a crankset. Check out fixedgeargallery and you'll see all kinds of "pioneers". How about 6-speed on a SS cassette? Brake cable through the steerer tube? Lots of people making lemons out of lemonade, but I'm not sure I'd call them pioneers. Sorry, not trying to be mean or insulting, just explaining why I found your choice of words (including "most gorgeous crankset ever produced by man") a bit silly.
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

- factotum -
    Jones is expensive because he chose to be expensive and still found enough people to buy his stuff. Also this waiting list things... people like that. "Hey, if I have to wait for it and pay loads of money for it, it must be good."
    It's a brand with a certain image. Get over it.

Mind you: I don't say that the Jones products are bad. I don't say that the marketing is evil. In fact I found some of the best weldings I've ever seen on an JJ H-bar.

30-ton War Machine
    Jones charges twice as much for his design, maybe that is why they "hold their value".....