Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Groovy Luv

47K views 119 replies 66 participants last post by  foko 
#1 ·
Got my Luv Handles installed. Will give them a test ride tomorrow...

Thanks Rody! :thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
#13 ·
Alumni said:
Are those foam grips as fragile as they look?

I dread the thought of cleaning off bits of glued on foam every couple weeks just to replace grips.
I always thought that about foam grips till I tried a pair of Bontrager Race X Lites and I love them. All of my Ourys will be replaced by them when they wear out. I have taken them on and off a couple of times easily with an air gun after gluing them. I always thought they would rotate but have had no problems with some pretty hard climbing last weekend which is when I usually rotate my Ourys even with glue.

#14 ·
First Ride Report

Put in a few mountain miles yesterday. After some trailside adjustments, I just couldn't quite get that 'magically delicious' feeling I was hoping for. Not bad, just not great.
I deduced that the bar felt too low and too close. Plus it's narrower than what I'm used to.
(I didn't find out that Rody makes these in 28" also until mine had already shipped. To his credit, he's offered to work an exchange if I need it...:thumbsup: )
I did notice some interesting effects though. I no longer felt like I was 'steering' the bike. It felt more like I was simply 'guiding' the bike. A much more intuitive feeling. Nice!

So this morning I swapped to a longer stem w/ more rise. And I replaced the Ergons with some normal grips. There are a lot of interesting angles going on with these bars and I want to get those all set before I put the Ergons back on...if I even do.
Driveway test says it feels much better already. I think the narrower width may not be an issue either...on this bike.
Hopefully I'll get to trail test it again tomorrow...

Attachments

#15 ·
Lovin the Luv's in AZ

I installed my LH's on the Sendero SS and felt very comfortable almost from the get go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not much of an adjustment as I would have thought coming from traditional riser bars.......... The LH's do seem to "guide" the front end more than "steer" it, as mentioned above in another post,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,very cool feeling on swoopy traversing trails.............thanks Rody:thumbsup:

#16 ·
xjbebop said:
Put in a few mountain miles yesterday. After some trailside adjustments, I just couldn't quite get that 'magically delicious' feeling I was hoping for. Not bad, just not great.
I deduced that the bar felt too low and too close. Plus it's narrower than what I'm used to.
(I didn't find out that Rody makes these in 28" also until mine had already shipped. To his credit, he's offered to work an exchange if I need it...:thumbsup: )
I did notice some interesting effects though. I no longer felt like I was 'steering' the bike. It felt more like I was simply 'guiding' the bike. A much more intuitive feeling. Nice!

So this morning I swapped to a longer stem w/ more rise. And I replaced the Ergons with some normal grips. There are a lot of interesting angles going on with these bars and I want to get those all set before I put the Ergons back on...if I even do.
Driveway test says it feels much better already. I think the narrower width may not be an issue either...on this bike.
Hopefully I'll get to trail test it again tomorrow...
xjbebop - from the looks of your first picture the grip ends may be angled too far up. Just a guess from a picture but you may like them better angled down.

#17 ·
Alumni said:
xjbebop - from the looks of your first picture the grip ends may be angled too far up. Just a guess from a picture but you may like them better angled down.
I did that initially, coming from Mary, but that about killed my wrist.
Now that I rotated it up parallel, feels much better.
Reckon it depends on your stem, TT, etc.

#19 ·
Alumni said:
The first (mountain) picture was before I started tweaking. And that's one of the reasons I took the Ergons off.
I spent time today testing that angle and ended up with them pointing just above halfway between the saddle and the rear hub. Once I get out on the trail I'll be able to fine tune, if needed...

#20 ·
Hey BD,

The variability of how the bar feels dependant on rotation is one of it's greatest assests, allowing individuals to find the sweet spot in their own range rather than the piece dictating where it should be.

This diversity is also the bars hurdle, in that I have a LOT of folks who would like a one piece bar/stem combo, and it is next to impossible to divine each person's perfect fit without them owning the bar for a bit and then sending back imput on stem length, rise, and rotation.

Ironically, you touched on an issue I've seen frequently...the use of the foamies on the Luvs. Old school or not, folks tend to dig them. When you are riding hard there is just something so comforting about a plush foamy to nustle up in your palm.

Thanks for cluing me in on the thread :thumbsup:

cheers,

rody

#22 ·
Feeling the Luv flow...

Feeling it today.
Flow…
Control…
Comfort…

:thumbsup:

MUCH better w/ the changes I made yesterday. Didn't need to re-do anything on the trail today.
No more worries about the bar being too narrow. It feels great just like it is. I really like how it makes this bike feel and handle!
Also noticed that the steel dampens a lot more chatter than my aluminum bars did…

Tips: Rody's right about the angle adjustment. I highly recommend using 'normal' grips to get the angles dialed in before installing Ergon-type grips. Personally, I may end up going with some ESI Chunkies ( like "foamies"…) instead. The sweep / angle of the Luv's kinda eliminate the need for the Ergon wings, IMHO….
I'll probably try the Ergons again though before I decide. :D
Also - the fresh paint on the Luv's make for a tight fit when installing components. The Ergon's were especially stubborn to put on / take off. :madman:

I think I'm really going to like these bars!! :D

Attachments

#23 ·
Alumni said:
Are those foam grips as fragile as they look?

I dread the thought of cleaning off bits of glued on foam every couple weeks just to replace grips.
Those look like ESI Chunky grips. I have been using a pair for more than 2 years. The same grips, on many bikes. They have been incredibly durable (for me). They have not shreaded or torn, and they go on and come off easily and yet they don't move too much on all the bars I've tried them on.

I just wish that their "Chunky" grips were chunkier. I probably don't have really big hands, but sometimes they seem too small in diameter (to me). But they have been the best grip purchase ever for me. Maybe after 2 years of use I have worn them down and I don't know it. Maybe I need some new ones to compair...

I'm currently using the ESI Chunkies on a Jones H-bar, and I've been using some Ergons on my Luv Handle. I will be buying another Luv handle some day soon...

#24 ·
Rody said:
Hey BD,

The variability of how the bar feels dependant on rotation is one of it's greatest assests, allowing individuals to find the sweet spot in their own range rather than the piece dictating where it should be.

This diversity is also the bars hurdle, in that I have a LOT of folks who would like a one piece bar/stem combo, and it is next to impossible to divine each person's perfect fit without them owning the bar for a bit and then sending back imput on stem length, rise, and rotation.

Ironically, you touched on an issue I've seen frequently...the use of the foamies on the Luvs. Old school or not, folks tend to dig them. When you are riding hard there is just something so comforting about a plush foamy to nustle up in your palm.

Thanks for cluing me in on the thread :thumbsup:

cheers,

rody
I'm sticking with the Clear Oury's
Gotta let that paint shine through.

#25 ·
I am completely in love with my Luv Bars. They're unbelievably comfortable. I get a lot of questions from guys on the trail asking what they are, how I like them and where they can get a pair.

My only regret is getting them in black. I didn't realize at the time I ordered them that Rody was offering them in Silver OR Black. The finish on the black is awesome it just throws the look of my bike way off.

If you're on the fence about buying a pair, DO IT! You won't regret it.

#109 ·
I am completely in love with my Luv Bars. They're unbelievably comfortable. I get a lot of questions from guys on the trail asking what they are, how I like them and where they can get a pair.

My only regret is getting them in black. I didn't realize at the time I ordered them that Rody was offering them in Silver OR Black. The finish on the black is awesome it just throws the look of my bike way off.

If you're on the fence about buying a pair, DO IT! You won't regret it.

EDIT: Thought I'd add some new photos.

In Titanium:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.