mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Greystock - a Highball ss

I have posted in the SC forum, but I thought I would share my new SS with you guys as well.
    Greystock - a Highball ss-hb-7x.jpg
    As a background, about 18months ago, I converted a second hand Chameleon into a SS and huffed and puffed into a level of SS enjoyment and masochism that many here lust after.

Way before this conversion, I promised myself a special bike for my 50th birthday, I was considering the custom Ti route at the time. I still like Ti by the way, although Iíve never ridden Ti (hence the Ti water bottle holder). During that time, 29ers came on the scene some more, and plastic bikes were coming out everywhere. I also like plastic.
    Greystock - a Highball ss-hb-3x.jpg

SS intervened, I saw a custom Ti video on the web, didnít like the BB flex I saw, and here I am, now 50 and blessed with an awesome plastic bike. Now donít get me wrong, I love almost all of the bikes I see in this forum and to me a bike is a bike, and there is enjoyment to be had. Iím not trying to big note, but I know, itís hard to hold that argument when you also want to show off your latest toy of excitement.

So, I tried the 29ers out, especially after reading some of the negative traits discussed it was a must to see/feel. I test rode a SIR 9 SS, rigid and forked, a Giant (geared) and a Big Top SS. I loved the SIR 9 rigid, it was very fast up hill, I had fun on the downs for sure but after 3 rides I thought I would still like a fork, for now. I respected the steel. The Big Top was very good to, it liked to corner hard and charge hard. But the Highball did have a weight advantage Ė with wives, you have to take your best shot sometimes (can that be read the wrong way...), so I went for the most I could while I could.
    Greystock - a Highball ss-hb-1x.jpg

The pedalling on the HB is amazing, it simple surges forward with every input. I have approached hills and climb seated (where I was standing on the Chameleon) and as the hill steepens and I have had to stand, it feels like I have dropped two gears (very efficient). Actually, Iím finding it hard to balance as to when I stand (Iíve always believed standing early helps the momentum). Either that, or I have to work on my standing cadence and take it to the next level. Obviously the bike is much faster than me. And humbly, I admit I have all the gear and no idea.
    Greystock - a Highball ss-hb-10x.jpg

Laterally the bike is stiff, it can hold some surprising lines in rough stuff. A thoroughly enjoyable and engaging ride. You can really extend this bike past the smooth XC trail image some give it.

To me, it is a smooth ride for a HT, of course as a caveat, I am coming off a Chameleon which has dirt jumper style immovable seat and chain stays Ė so most things are smoother.
    Greystock - a Highball ss-hb-8x.jpg
    Greystock - a Highball ss-hb-6x.jpg
    My LBS lent me each of the test bikes for a couple of weeks, and at that time of the year, I rode them 3 times a week. The one thing I have noticed about this carbon frame is how quiet it is. There is really something harmonic about this bike and I believe this adds to the impression of smoothness.

I am enjoying the reduced weight, I am just a tad more than 2kgs lighter than the Chameleon was. I am happy with how I can hop and pop off logs and rocks or trail features. Also bunny hops are in another orbit, Iím jumping around everywhere. Great fun! Nimble, Iím not feeling any of the drawbacks that people have complained off re 29ers, actually within minutes I am so comfortable on it I think Iím on a 26 that rolls extremely well.
    Greystock - a Highball ss-hb-11x.jpg

This lovely bike has made my SS experience more enjoyable, but more challenging as the bike draws you into pedalling harder everywhere Ė it teases me to pedal some more, a little faster a little harder and then it shows me it has more speed than I can muster.
    As all SSers know, less is more, this gives me more with less yet cost me more and still my speed is less than more of you. More or less....

Greystock - a Highball ss-hb-12x.jpg
    Greystock - a Highball ss-hb-13x.jpg
    Greystock - a Highball ss-hb-14x.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Decent looking rig.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Looks great congrats on your new purchase and on your 50th Birthday!

I see you managed to go SS without the need of a SS chain guide, which is great!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Beautiful bike and great story. Happy B-Day to you!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Very nice!

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Wow. Just wow! That thing is sweet.

Right-front braking, yeah? Does that mean you're Australian too? If so, I'll be around 5pm Friday to borrow it for the weekend.

Grumps

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Congrats, beautiful bike !
    Are the wheels carbon ?
    No chain stretch after a few rides ?

One What?
    Very nice bike!

Teen Wolf
    looks fast. i like it.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    You might have stated it in your text, but your pictures are so large I had to scroll back and forth to read it all which got kinda annoying so I just skimmed it, but anyhoo, how are you tensioning the chain?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DHGCvJjat1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member extraordinair
    The third picture shows a half-link in the chain, just near the rear freewheel cog
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    He needs and ENO disc hub for that sucker! Right Ernesto!?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Thanks guys

I'm loving the aesthetic of it to, so I just had to share, and besides it's still all shiny and that state won't last too long.

If I had of taken a picture of the other side, you could have viewed the Phil Wood BB ecentric.

Sure Uncle Grumpy, come on a round, you can have a run on it no worries.

It's hard not to look at it and or touch it every time I go into the garage. The weekend is looking good here, so I'm pumped. All my old tracks are new on this, I have plenty of exploring to do...

Thanks you again , see you out there. Cheers

Goes to 11

Awesome bike!

not sure if it's the winter or your pictures but I just got a bad case of Upgraditis

could you please send a link of that phil wood Eccentric BB model you're using?
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads..

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm not sure there are a lot of different models re the Phil Wood - I think there is just this eccentric...There's a thread in the forum page discussing Phil's some more. Sorry, not much help...

http://http://www.philwood.com/produ.../eccentric.php

Goes to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    I'm not sure there are a lot of different models re the Phil Wood - I think there is just this eccentric...There's a thread in the forum page discussing Phil's some more. Sorry, not much help...

http://http://www.philwood.com/produ.../eccentric.php
    I did some digging, if i understand correctly this is what you have
    Phil Wood & Co.

either way, it looks great, enjoy it!
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads..

mtbr member
    I'm loving this build. Good call on the Philcentric, it made for an ultra clean build.
    2017 Spec Epic Expert WC
    2016 Trek Superfly SS (32x21)

Members who have read this thread: 0